Dumb rope/line question...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
This is the proverbial dumb question but I had to make sure.... How exactly do you measure rope/line diameter. What I mean is when the rope/line is resting (not under tension) or when it is under tension? Reason I ask is I do notice a considerable difference in this measurement with some products. More importantly I want to know this for sizing the correct new rope clutches I am planning on purchasing. Thanks, RT

jkm

Member III
Not such a dumb question-look at all the hits and none of us can answer your question.

Maybe this will stir up the pot

John

Kim Schoedel

Member III
First, I am not real smart and don't have a problem throwing this out even if I am wrong. I have noticed that available line seems to be in millemeters in some stores and inches at others. The clutch should have some recommended sizes. And I am thinking the measurment should be at the resting stage.

rssailor

rope question

Not sure how the diameter of the line is measured, but all manufacturers put what line size each clutch fits in their literature. The sizes are both in metric and standard. My Lewmar clutchs have this info right on the literature that comes with em. If you have a question about what line size fits, I would contact the manufacturer. Ryan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If I understand Rob's question...
'Tis true that some of the softer lines change their diameter under load, but that would be under a lot more load than when we pull the line out of the spool at the store. A three-strand nylon rode will visibly thin under extreme conditions -- hundreds of pounds of pull on your anchor, for instance.

I am so "retro" that I still have one of the Davis line diameter measuring cards in my wallet. After a couple decades it still works, and needs no batteries...
:)

All the lines I have measured seem to have a stable outside diameter and can be read or estimated purdy easily -- some are metric, though, which adds to the fun.

My .02,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hmmm. Well this seems to be an interesting issue. The lines on my E38, some measure exact figures in inches, like the rope/wire halyards, the line side is 3/8" on the money. My vang and mainsheet are 1/2"++, maybe even 9/16" Maybe those are metric? Am I picky? Sure, but I used to work in a machine shop and being a carpenter by trade, 1/16" is a lot to me, I like exact measurements. Thanks for the answers, it does help. RT

rgoff

Member III
Someone once told me that lines already on the boat may actually be slightly larger (under no load) than when bought. I guess they expand some as they age or get exposed to the elements.