E 26 companioway hasp

Joe A.

(See attached pics) I have spent several hours and miles in the last few weeks trying to get a replacement hasp for my companionway. I've tried the internet and local West Marines (what other option is there?) and haven't found anything close. I'm not adverse to drilling new screw holes but no new hardware comes even close. I need a screw distance of 1 5/8" plus it needs to allow for the 1" overlap when the hatch is closed. The 3" and 2" hasps from West Marine are made by different companies (in China!) and their mounting holes are way too short or long

I don't know what the original hasp looked like but someone with the same set up could really help me, at least to understand what I am trying to replace. Anyone with old hardware out there?

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 51

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The missing Hasp...

You might want to try a new hasp from a major supplier like Defender
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311444|311569&id=578096

or DownwindMarine.
http://www.downwindmarine.com/Hasps-Catches-Barrell-Bolts-p-1-c-180.html

To me, armchair quarterbacking from far away, the biggest problem is the offset. In order to pull the hatch all the way closed, the block on the top board needs to be around two (?) inches thick so that the hasp will line up. I have seen this problem on other boats a lot over the years, and some folks use a SS hasp and bend it a lot to get it to line up.
Better to go with a spacer block sufficient to line up the parts with the hatch all the way closed, IMHO. Some epoxy and a teak (or mahogany) spacer block will fix the offset difficulty.

Best,
Loren

ps: that little offset was only about 3/8" on my hatch board, and when I built a one-piece composite board to replace the stack of heavy teak boards I just glassed a little spacer block at the top center and faired the slope of the sides.

Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
Attached is an older picture of my E26 hatchboards before I refinished them. When I pulled the hardware, I found that a PO had replaced the hasp as the old screwholes were hidden by the new hasp. I filled them with teak colored epoxy putty as part of the refinishing.

As Loren indicated, my open/closed overlap is only about a quarter inch. You'll note the foam insulation tape on the top hatchboard. We have a problem with mud wasps (AKA Muddaubbers) in this area and they will use any opening to find a nice safe place to create a nest. The foam tape fills the void between the hatchboard and hatch completely to prevent wasps & water from getting in and also solves the offset problem because the hatch is pulled closed just to the plane of the hatchboard.

Pat

Attachments

• DSCF0083.jpg
    DSCF0083.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Joe A.

thanks!

Thanks guys. Lots of work just to replace a hasp huh?

Unfortunately I think your links are identical to the hasps I tried but I may try to contact someone who can open a package with a ruler. These hasps are so long the bottom holes line up below the wood block. It's worse when the hatch is pushed back a little similar to what you have.

I've sketched what I need to buy and bend for now. It won't look pretty. When I get more time, the wood block will be replaced with a lower and thicker version located properly.

Thanks for the foam idea. I was wondering about the gap and more concerned about horizontal rain coming off Lake Erie filling the cabin but it will also hold down the bugs.

Joe Antz
E 26-2
"Half Fast"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks guys. Lots of work just to replace a hasp huh?

Ohhhhh My. Welcome to the joys of DIY yacht repair!
:)
Sometimes I think that a "little" project like this ends up about equal to rebedding a keel... ;)

LB
:esad:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Joe,

I like the name of your boat :).

On the hasps that are too long are you putting the hinge on the bottom so the hasp "tongue" covers the part that gets mounted to the board?

Glyn Judson

Hasp dilemma.

Joe, I think you've already proved to yourself that it'll be difficult if not impossible to find an exact replacement hasp to your old one so your long term plan to install a new chunk of bigger, longer teak will probably be the best solution. That way you can gauge it's size to the hasp of your choice. Don't fail to visit Spartan Marine http://spartanmarine.com/catalog.html when looking for high quality chromed bronze hasps. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA