E-29 Emergency Tiller

ThurstonCounty

Member I
Just bought our first sailboat (go easy on us), a 1975 E29. It does not seem to have an emergency tiller any longer and I was not able to find any schematics on this site. Anyone got an extra or at least some plans?

Second Star

Member III
Had to build mine for our 28+ from scratch. How difficult that is depends upon whether you have wheel or tiller steering. If tiller then make a simple version of as fitted out of metal plate and appropriate sized wood or pipe for the handle. For wheel steering it took a lot of back and forth to get past the interference of the pedestal and wheel. If I had to use it I would pull the wheel off to steer but it is a rudimentary beast without much leverage that would be a horror to use for more than a few hours.

ThurstonCounty

Member I
She has wheel stearing but through a small access panel forward of the bench the binnacle is mounted on, there is a mount for an emergency tiller. Unfortunately, the ”Owners Manual” does not provide specifics on the connection. The wheel is mounted on a transverse bench so I think this is not an upgrade from a tiller version.

I was just hoping someone had a spare before I started constructing one from scratch. Seems like a good thing to have as safety gear.

ThurstonCounty

Member I
Look what I found… It has an odd cut on the backside, but for those of you that have an emergency tiller, does this look about right?0C7B1A1A-C8D1-4904-B3BF-94E171C35572.jpeg

paul culver

Member III
Here is the set-up on my E29. Length of the wood portion of the tiller is 4 ft. The first photo is the head of the rudder post under the bridge deck where the tiller attaches. I have not had to use it but I confirmed that the pieces fit together.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 13

ThurstonCounty

Member I
perfect. i was able to scrounge up a rudder post and now that i’m seeing what the rest is, I think i can figure this out. Thanks so much for the pics!