E-38 Layout

Dferr

Member II
I've been looking at the E-38's. Is the interior layout pretty much the same From 1980 to 1989? Are there any real differences through these years? Also, the 1980 I'm looking at has a 5.5 keel. Is that standard keel or was it modified?

Thanks,
Don

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hi Don,
I know of a couple of small changes that were made- I'm sure others can bring much more info to bear...

At some midpoint in the 80's, the galley and nav station switched sides. our 88 has the nav on the stbd, "L" shaped galley on the port. I know earlier models had a modified "L" with the motor kind of under the sink (Shaun- is yours like this?). We have the 5.5 wing keel which was an option at that time. I think Rob has a Mars modified 5.5-ish with a bulb on the bottom.

Other options/changes were motors we have a Universal M-50 (44 horse), we don't have the optional v-berth water tank-- little things like that. Otherwise, I believe they were all the same hull and rig, and the interior was very similar.
Ours is identical to the pictures in the specs section here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/specs_and_docs/spec_pgs/yacht_spec_e38.htm
Best,
Chris

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This is another early E38 interior

In the center of the attached page. It's also available for download in the Docs section (38, 38-200) and is called "E38 specifications."

Portside: nav area and small double berth, dinette, and forward head and shower.

Stbd.: Aft is the galley. I have the stbd. table as pictured, but some apparently have a bench seat.

Engine is under the steps.

I have the optional 6' 6" fin keel and mine is a 1980.

Try a search on E38 and you'll find plenty of additional information. Despite a few of our posts, we do love our boats. :egrin: Best of luck finding the right boat. Keep us posted on your progress and by all means, ask us more questions.

Attachments

• e38_specs.pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 124

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Despite a few of our posts, we do love our boats. :egrin:

Point well made- my wife and I have started looking/shopping for the next boat (probably 6-8 yrs down the road) for living aboard several months out of the year and we've discovered we're awfully picky comparing stuff with our 38. The speed (PHRF A boat on the chesapeake), handling, and the comfort level are hard to match on other boats.

wurzner

Member III
My boat is a 1986 with the engine under the galley sink opposed to in the rear. The key difference between the 38 and the 38-200 is the location of the head being forward or aft respectively. The -200 that have the sink coming out on an angle opposed to a sharp 90 degree to the centerline of the boat have the engine under the sink where as the -200's that have it coming out on a 90 have the engine under the companion way stairs. Also, our boat has the 6' 6" Keel that was standard for our year with the shoal draft being optional. That changed when PSC purchased Ericson and the with the shoal draft being standard and the extended keek being optional.

I like the look (more contemporary reflective of newer boats) of the angled sink configuration. It puts the engine weight closer to the center of the boat and provides more protection when getting beer out of the fridge in rougher condtions. At the end of the day, they are all the same exterior hull with the same TAFG layout and ultimately, great boats and even greater boats when you compare the innovation, craftsmanship, performance, and layout.

The boats are certainly not Hickleys, Oysters, or Swans, or Rosseys but there are also not your average boat by anymeans.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a boat that offers comparable value in the same size/price range. The CAL39 is one that springs to mind as they are great boats as well. I much prefer the layout of the 38 but feel the sailing attributes are very similiar.

Good luck shopping and hopefully becoming an Ericson owner.

regard
Shaun

Last edited:

Don Taugher

Member II
Besides the difference already mentioned there are a few others. In 1987 or 1988 the cabin trunk was extended 14" allowing for a few changes in the aft stateroom and aft head. At the same time the cockpit was lenghtened 4", changing the reverse transom angle to be less severe on the later models. The curved helmsman seat was changed (i.e. improved) and the starboard locker in the cockpit had the lid re-engineered to open wider, making access easier. In my research before purchasing our boat # 263 (1988) I found the rudder was moved aft about 4" on the later models. This was all pre-PSC changes.

The 38 is a great boat and a real head turner, good luck with your search.

Don Taugher
Running Free
Long Beach Ca

Roger Ware

Member III
1 more little detail

Don, just to add to your 1987-88 changes list, there was an extra opening portlight added on both sides, aft of the fixed portlights, which e.g. gives the head some much needed ventilation.

Roger, Kingston, ON

Willpatten

Member II
Another detail

A couple other changes that PSC made in 1990 were zippers in the head liner and, supposedly, a better barrier coat on the bottom to prevent blisters. Having just completed a bottom job, I can't attest the to latter but the zippered access is great.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Headliner zippers

Our 1980 has headliner zippers also. I am not sure if they are original or not.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lotsa Zippers

Harware-access Zippers in vinyl coated fabric headliners were common in several different makes of boats from the late 70's onwards. Islander and Ericson come to mind, from personal experience, and I betcha there are others... ;)

It's a wonderful system if they put in *enough* zippers. There are several areas of our '88 model that should have 'em but do not. :rolleyes:

Loren

Richard Elliott

Member III
Headliner Zippers

Keep an eye on the aluminum zipper sliders. They disintegrate into white powder over years. A little WD-40 can save you a lot of grief.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Final word on Sliders

Here is the Zipper Slider thread.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2556&referrerid=28
I followed the advice from this thread and bought several #5 sliders at a big fabric store. They were quite nexpensive. We now shoot all the sliders around the overhead with Mac Lube spray a couple times a year. No more problem.
Getting some of the new sliders to feed on was... quite (!) a challenge, however...
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren