E-38 PHRF Handicap

Ericsean

Member III
I am wondering what PHRF all you E-38 guys have been assigned.

In my club, South Bay Cruising Club in Long Island, I have been given a 126 base handicap, with a + 6 second adjustment for having a roller furler, and a +4second adjustment for deep draft, so my total handicap is 136. ( Even though I have the shoal 5' model, since the water we sail in is so shallow, we have this type adjustment for larger boats)

PS, I have placed a second & third in two of our bigger race events, beating a couple of those evil J-80's. OUr club is relatively small with about 30 active racers, so we only have spin & non spin classes, & the fleet ranges from a Melges 26 (scrath boat) to C & C 25's.

Anyway, I feel a handicap adjustment coming so I was hoping to get some input.

Thanks

Kevin Padden
Rettise E-38, #3

Royal Wave

Kevin

I race on Lake Michigan and handicapping authority LMPHRF has given us a base of 120 with a +3 seconds for the furler, total 123.

Jeff Sedlack
s/v Royal Wave
38-200 #22

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I don't have the specifics in front of me but New England PHRF rated my E38 at 163. Thats with a 130 roller furled. RT

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
PHRF Chesapeake says 114 base with +6 for RF. Deep draft. Chris Miller gets I think another 3 for his wing keel. Not sure how you get a +4 for deep draft. I would think that was a minus in rating land. 163 would be sweet down here RT. Are you somehow getting a credit for less than 150% on the genny?

Looked again at www.phrfne.com and am seeing 4 rated 38s. 114 appears to be the base for deep draft with 123 for wing and shoal draft. 2 boats have a +9 for somehting related to the spinnaker, maybe its non spin? 2 others have +6's for I think furlers, but did not spend much time on the site.

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
yep, base rating for ours with the wing keel is a 120. We get 6 seconds for the above deck roller for a total rating of 126. Which puts us just in PHRF A here in the Chesapeake. PHRF B starts at 127 here.
Chris

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Phrf

What Ted said! 114 is the base, and is fair for the boat. I sailed aboard the 38 Cantata in Long Beach RW and won the section at 114 (155's, deep keel, no furler).
Cheers
S

Ericsean

Member III
Deep Draft

Our club give a + 4 for deep draft due to the shallow water in the Great South Bay. There are a lot of areas in our race courses where the depth goes below 5'. It hurt me last Sat. when I was trying to cover a Tartan 3500 on the last leg. He draws 4'6" with a scheel keel & tacked away into some shallow water & I couldn't cover him any more.

With his $15,000 kevlar/plastic sail inventory, & 12 people on the rail, he kicked my but when the wind picked up. I had my dacron # 1 up & had to tuck in a reef when the wind picked up over 15knots. The boat was still squirrelly & being new to the roller furler thing, I'm not sure how effective rolling up some off the jib is. I think it will be a pain in the butt to remove the drum on my Harken furler so I could change sails.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
interesting idea from the club!

I'm assuming this is beercan racing? Otherwise, why does a T-3500 have 12 people on the boat at all?:p

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Still Don't Get It

Ericsean,

Maybe we are missing something, but a credit of 4 seconds for a deep keel (which is a faster keel than a shoal keel) still seems wrong. In our world, a penalty of -3 seconds or something along those lines would make mroe sense.

Navigation advantages of a shoal keel aside, the deep keel performs better, so must rate faster, not slower.
Can you enlighten?
S

e38 owner

Member III
Deep Draft

It appears to me that the credit for deep draft is not because the boat goes slower but rather because when racing in the area described one must sail a longer course due to shallow water if the boat has a deep draft.

Lawdog

Member III
rating in GOM

I am in the Gulf of Maine phrf-ne and my base is 114, +6 for fixed 2 blade, +6 for recreation, or a 126 for racing and a 141 for cruising, with a 130 roller furling and deep draft, which is same as wing keel here. I regularly get beat by a wk 38, but he's is a newer model with hydraulic backstay and mine is fixed (1983), and he has much newer mainsail (mine is a 9.5 oz Pineapple) and he also has adjustable jib cars. His jib is also cut to his deck and mine is high cut. Going to windward he points at least 3 to 4 degrees higher! ouch! here are a few pics from 2 weekends ago wth wind over the deck at one point of 43.4, but averaging over 30

Attachments

• ms_portland07_565.jpg
    ms_portland07_565.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 109
  • ms_portland07_308.jpg
    ms_portland07_308.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 107
  • ms_portland07_560.jpg
    ms_portland07_560.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 115

Ericsean

Member III
Deep draft E-38

Sorry for not responding earlier, I was out on my E-38 "Rettsie" at the best beach in the world for 4 days doing the cruising thing. (Fire Island, New York).

The + deep draft adjustment has a couple of reasons behind it. In addition to the navigation limits, the feeling here is that when a displacement boat starts to make a bow wave it squats down a little more & creates additional drag from the bottom , even grabbing more weed. The sport boats with the same draft don't get the adjustment (J80 & Melges 26)

Although my 5' draft is deeper than other boats in my club, it is not as effective as a 4'3" draft on a C & C 25, which would be more of a fin than my E-38 shoal draft 5' version.

Although there is always beer on my boat, we are a little more than a beer can club. We run about 50 races a year, every Tuesday & Thursday nite from late May to late Sept. We have about 12 weekend races with class championship for spin & non-spin. A couple of years ago, we did limit the # of crew in line with US Sailing, since some people were abusing the no limit rule. In particular a C & C 25 that races with 8-9 people.

However to spur participation, the rule was resinded. (Noboaby wanted to turn crew away).

However, some people still abuse the lack of rule & the whole spirit of sailing.
Unfortunately I guess even sailors can be jerks.

By the way, I can't wait to start the beach debate.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
participation and fun is king- as long as the rules are relaxed for everyone and lots of people come out, it sounds like fun!

Beach debate:egrin:: Grog Island in the Chesapeake is like having the Carribean in Maryland-- I'll post pictures in a little bit.

Chris