• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E26-2 Dodger

vasuvius

Member II
The previous owner had a dodger that needed repair. So I got the windows replaced, stiching fixed and zippers working. Finally managed to install the dodger and realize that on a boat this size, it's a little hard to sail with the dodger. Maybe it is feasible but I couldn't figure out how to access all the rigging. The access to the traveler and the main sheet requires that the windshield be rolled up - this cuts half the visibility through an already small space.
We ended up just putting it down while sailing and then raising it while sitting around at the mooring.

Anyone else have a dodger on their E26 ? How do you make it work ? Any pics to share please ? IMG_0228.jpg

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All of the housetop dodgers I have seen have chafe-protected holes for the lines for the traveler. The tail of the sheet is normally led aft under one side or the other along her housetop. There are some openings shown in your picture, so I wonder if one of those is where the sheet goes?

vasuvius

Member II
If I leave the lower front edge of the dodger loose / unbuttoned, I can lead the traveller lines under that. The position of the main sheet clam shell cleat is right in the center of the windshield. The only way to lead it aft and have it accessible is to roll up the windshield - and this reduces visibility :-(

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yeah, it looks as if they just planned to sail with the windshield rolled up.
The only way I see to lead that mainsheet under the dodger is turn it around, lead it forward and to the side. And do the cleating off inside somehow. Maybe someone with similar rigging has a better idea.

Thought provoking though - I can see I'm going to have a similar problem with the vang, unless I switch to a rigid one.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
With a dodger, you normally lead the mainsheet forward to the mast, then off to the starboard side to align it with a rope clutch and winch (running under those existing cutouts at the bottom of your dodger).

See this post: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/32-3-main-sheet-rigging-with-rigid-vang-in-place.18973/

You'd have to do similarly with your traveler. Remove the exiting cam cleats, run the lines out and under the traveler cutouts, then add new cam cleats inside the dodger (mine are on either side of the companionway).

Nice looking dodger.

Last edited:

vasuvius

Member II
I like this. I have 2 winches on the starboard side. The outer one has a cleat aft of it that I use for the main halyard.
The inner winch has a cam cleat aft of the winch. I could lead the main sheet through that. A clutch for the main sheet would mean I would have to leave the helm to get there.
I might already have a spare block at the mast base - will have to find a way to lead the main sheet to the mast bottom without interfering with the vang..
If I don't zip the windshield all the way to the bottom, the traveler lines should feed through easy

thank you for this idea.

Brad Johnson

Member III
Someone changed the main sheet arrangement, It originally ran forward thru blocks down to base of mast then back the the cam cleat that is there . The halyard was left on the cleat originally.

vasuvius

Member II
Someone changed the main sheet arrangement, It originally ran forward thru blocks down to base of mast then back the the cam cleat that is there . The halyard was left on the cleat originally.
Would you happen to have a pic of how it was originally routed ? 1 block under the boom at the mast and 1 block at the base of the mast ? Or more ?

markvone

Sustaining Member
What Brad said. Also, someone added a third pulley on the mast to get a 6:1 mainsheet because the leverage was so bad with the mainsheet cam so far away on the cabintop. It was originally 4:1, lead forward to the mast and back to just a cam cleat, no winch required. You will need a block at the forward end of the boom, one at the mast base and an open pulley on the cam side deck organizer. (Get some nice ball bearing blocks.) Expand the picture on the E26 brochure to see the

Mark

Attachments

• E26 Color Brochure.pdf
    707.2 KB · Views: 25

vasuvius

Member II
There was a two line deck turning block on the cabin top, Is that still there?? One was for the main sheet and the other was the main halyard
I can visualize in my head the 2 line fairlead on the port side cabin too. There has to be one on starboard that the main halyard is routed thru. I need to spend more time on the boat :)
The PO told me some reason for moving the main sheet clam cleat to where it is now. I forget what but I can call him and find out.
I think I have enough spare blocks on hand to do this fairly easily

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Exactly--reef tack and outhaul. I took the 2-line organizer off the stbd side and stacked on on top of the existing one at portside.

20200712_171811.2.jpg

vasuvius

Member II
I found a single block with becket and a block with fiddle in the parts bin from the PO.
What parts do I need to be able to connect these to the traveler and the D rings under the boom?
I imagine the block with becket needs some connector that can swivel ? For the fiddle block, I have a U shaped something which seems to be missing a clevis pin.
(Still struggling with names for parts and stuff)

Thanks
IMG_0310.jpg

Brad Johnson

Member III
My set up, any questions, message me
Thanks Brad

Attachments

• F1106E6B-F0F6-4046-BDC5-80B149CD79DA.jpeg
    F1106E6B-F0F6-4046-BDC5-80B149CD79DA.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 8AEC7088-FC7B-4554-A5C1-496C915B48D3.jpeg
    8AEC7088-FC7B-4554-A5C1-496C915B48D3.jpeg