E27 interior and cockpit size

Champlain72

I have been on a 30+ and 32 Ericson and like them very much but never boarded a 27'. There is one for sale about four hours from me. My question is;
I'm a large guy 6'3" and 350lbs. I want to use the boat a lot for camping out on the intercoastal waterway , winyah bay and its tributaries along with sailing. Will I be cramped sleeping with the size of the v-berth and settee? Also it has wheel steering and the double cockpit. I think the 32 was that way also. Will my size 12 feet fit in the back cockpit area? I don't want to drive 4 hours if it just won't work out. Thank you.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Definitely cramped

You will be cramped in the 27. Headroom is always a problem. The 27 will not comfortably accommodate your frame.

kari

Member III
I have to agree . . . I think you might find the 27 less than comfortable thus as enjoyable as you found the 30 and 32 . . .I have a 73 e27 head room is 6'1" I'm 6'2" and have be a little careful, also the general moving about cockpit etc. V birth maybe challenging etc.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I agree with the other two replies. Yes the head room is 6'1" at the highest points. I am 6' 205 lbs and in a pinch I can sleep in the port or starboard settees. They are both very narrow though. The starboard side is a bit longer than the port. I prefer the V berth. I'm guessing it might be around 6' 8" up there. The quarter berth is the longest and nice and wide but it's kind of like sliding yourself into a cocoon. As far as the cockpit goes I had a gal on board once that may have been closer to 400 lbs. The boat was riding low enough in the stern that water was coming up the stern scupper but there was plenty of room for her. I would look at 30' and above boats. Possibly a E-29. Good luck.

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
I'm 6'2" and the E29 is 6'2" except in two locations where I constantly bash my head. Since I don't seem to be able to learn I generally keep my hat on when I'm down below.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Jeff Smith

I am 6'8" and 300#, and find my 23-2 just right, but then again, I squeeze into a BMW Z-3 and MR2 Spyder, However, I am wanting to move up to an E 27, since we like to spend time on the lake in little coves, cooking and spending the night, and I think my wife would enjoy a little more room. I love racing the 23 though. My wife says I have to sell it before I buy a 27, I'll miss The Flying Dugan!