E27 New Outbaord?

mufflaw

Island Boy
(not sure if I posted this thread corectly the first time). So I'm doin it again. I Purchasing an E27 with no ourboard, can any one recomend an IDEAL size engine.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since you asked....

From my own experience with a slightly smaller sloop for a decade, I would go with the Hi Thrust Yamaha 10. This is the only 4 stroke with a 3 to 1 gear. Honda would be my second choice. IMHO the other outboard makers will be playing catch-up ball to these two leaders for quite a while to come.

Just my .02 worth, YMMV.

Loren

Nick Reynolds

Member II
One more thing...

I would suggest that you also spend the additional couple hundred bucks for a good outboard bracket that will support the 10 hp four stroke. I did, in anticipation of my eventual upgrade to a four stroke.

It gets the outboard up out of the water better, but the thing I like the best is the ability to rotate the outboard fully. I found with the outboard mounted in the factory transom cutout that I could only turn it one way. With the tiller on the outboard tipped down so it was usable, it banged up against the edge of the cutout when you tried to turn it to port (turn boat to starboard).

When just motoring down the river here, it doesn't matter, you still steer with the boats rudder only. But, when you are docking the ability to turn the boat in it's own length with the outboard is very handy. Moving the outboard back by mounting it on the bracket allows you to do this. The downside is it pushes that extra weight further astern as well. I have found the tradeoff to be worth it. Maybe it has to to with our conditions here that has wind, lots of current, and finger slips.

A few weeks ago I ran aground. With the outboard mounted this way I just turned it sideways, and the boat pivoted on it's keel until it was facing the exact opposite direction. It still wouldn't come off (!^%$*&^$), but it did not take much else to get cooking.

JMGOMEZ

Member I
I would also recommend th Yamaha 9.9 HP High Thrust model. A few years ago I replaced my old 15 HP Evinrude with the Yamaha on my E27, and it is a real big improvement in performance. I would further recommend to get the model with electric sart and remote control (not the removal tiller, but the real remote). This will allow you to steer with tiller and having throtle and gear withion easy reach. For tricky docking, the engine comes with a removable pin that allows engine to be hand steered, and thus increasing your turning ability. Of course, the cutout at the transom prohibits complete steering, but I believe that it allows sufficient turning for just about any situation.

Good luck.

Joe