E29 Autohelm

jkenan

Member III
I have an Autohelm ST4000 MKII which I intend to fit to an Ericson 29. After reading some reviews of this autopilot on this site, I understand there can be some issues with this equipment, but at this point, it's a done deal for me so I must find a way to make it work.

My major concern is fitting the rudder position sensor to the quadrant, since the quadrant is at an angle and tolerance of the ball joints is slim. The manual states contrary instructions: The connecting rod should be level, and, it should remain parellel to the tiller arm's plane of rotation (in the E29's case, at an angle). I'm going with the angle.

If anyone here has installed this model, I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It sounds like you have the current model ST4000+Mk2. I have a 10-year-old ST4000 that works fine on our 34 footer (disp. 10600#). I have had to have Raymarine (aka Autohelm in my case) replace the main control head once.
While I would prefer to have zero problems, I have yet to hear of a wheel-mount AP without some weakness... at least compared to the much spendier below-decks models.

You have a rudder position sensor to fit, from your remarks. Is this required for the newer model? If so, it is not mentioned at the Raymarine web site I found for this model.
:confused:
The only option for my older version was the apparent-wind sensor, as I remember.

Can you describe the general install kit that comes with yours?

Thanks,
Loren in PDX

jkenan

Member III
Loren-

The primary reason for the rudder position sensor on this model is to allow for rudder damping, which, when adjusted appropriately, will improve the autopilot's ability to stay on course and minimize hunting, so I see this as something I should do. The install kit for the rudder sensing unit is minimal, just the unit itself which is composed of an arm attached to a sensing base with wiring back to the control panel, a rod and rod attachment pins to attach the arm to the quadrant, and some screws to secure the base. The sensor arm is attached to the quadrant by means of this rod which allows the arm to move in tandem with the rudder (this allows the CPU to track rudder position, and process accordingly). The arm needs to move in the same plane as the quadrant, otherwise the pins that secure the rod will shear over time.

Explaining it helps. The more I think about it (and describe the problem), the more it makes sense to me. I'm sure I will have some challenges mounting it on the appropriate plane, and am open to ideas.

Thanks for your interest.

John

jkenan

Member III
Ok, the unit is entirely installed, and I must say, I am very pleased with how it went. The rudder sensor arm problem started out as a challenge, and quickly became solved when I started thinking about some scrap aluminum instead of wood. I cut out a section of metal with a 90 degree bend, and bent it so the angle matched the rudder quadrant (had to pull out some high school geometry fort this one). The 'short' verticle side was fastened to the inside of the quadrant housing, and the angled 'longer' side had holes drilled to mount the rudder sensor. The connecting arm from sensor to quadrant needs to be level, but sat higher than the quadrant, so some old traveler track and another piece of aluminum fastened inside the quadrant fit the bill beautifully....

John