E35-2 Extending galley behind bulkhead

adam

Member III
I'm extended by galley behind the bulkhead and wouldn't mind some advice.

When I bought the boat, there was a sheet of plywood covering the hole shown in the photo and a new electrical panel mounted in it, which has now moved adjacent to the chart table. I wonder if the original electrical panel caught on fire at one point....

The space on top of the back of the icebox is approx. 30" wide by 10" deep which is a big, nice expansion of the galley.

1. I considered building the back wall of this new cabinet structurally, adding it as an additional partial bulkhead. But would that be overkill, especially as there isn't a matching bulkhead on the port side at all?

2. I'm considering just adding wood trim around the existing hole, and calling the project "done" with no front door on it. But anyone have other suggestions?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 371

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I don't understand your "option 1."

Looks like that space is crying out to be divided into two compartments. Either a tall one on the right and a short one on the left, or a wide lower one and narrow upper one.

One way to do it might be to build one or more tip-out drawers. (E.g. With dish and flatware racks.) This would be compatible with your "option 2" because you'd build a frame then (possibly later) build the tip-outs to fit in the frame.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm making simple doors for an awkward space like, this very moment. A royal pain of hinges and mortises and tolerances!

So, at this very moment, I vote for trim only.:)

adam

Member III
I don't understand your "option 1."

Looks like that space is crying out to be divided into two compartments. Either a tall one on the right and a short one on the left, or a wide lower one and narrow upper one.

One way to do it might be to build one or more tip-out drawers. (E.g. With dish and flatware racks.) This would be compatible with your "option 2" because you'd build a frame then (possibly later) build the tip-outs to fit in the frame.

"Option 1" -- Should I build the back wall of this cabinet strong enough such that it serves as an additional bulkhead and reinforces the rigidity of the hull?

In effect I guess that means I'd use thicker grade plywood and fiberglass it into place vs lighter plywood screwed into place.

And yeah, you're probably right that I should at least add a shelf.

Christian, thanks. :)

Last edited: