• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35 II Fuel Tank

Bomr

Member I
I just bought a 1973 E35-2. The previous owner had disclosed that the fuel tank was replaced and since has had a problem with the newer Kubota diesel sucking in air when the tank gets below about 10 gallons. He claimed that the 25 gallon tank was un-baffeled but the surveyor felt like this would not not cause this problem. The surveyor noted that the tank appeared to be sitting at an angle and was also rubbing against a metal brace which could potentially rub through over time. He recommended replacing the metal brace, but didn't have a suggestion for the air intake problem.
Does anyone have any experience replacing the fuel tanks that might know what went wrong with this installation? I haven't really tried to figure it out yet, but I would prefer not to have to worry about my diesel anytime the tank gets below half empty.

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
The tank has a fuel pick up tube inside. This tube should be near the bottom of the tank. If it's not near the bottom or deepest part of the tank, the fuel, when low will slosh around and will allow air to enter the tube. Once this happens it wont be long before the engine quits.
What shape is the tank? Does it have a flat bottom? If it's a flat bottom, is the end with the pick on the down hill side of the angle? V bottom? Can you get to the inside of the tank?
Stop your tank from rubbing on the brace.
I've had several tanks on my 35-2. I've had the problem you talk about.

What I have now is a tank that I designed and had a local tank maker weld together out of aluminum. It holds 45 US gallons. It has baffels, acess ports, grounding lugs, a sight glass tube for a fuel gauge with shut off valves top and bottom. It is a very complex shape that fills the area under the cockpit, forward of the steering gear and in back off the two cockpit drain thru hulls. It is a V bottom with a drain port on the very deepest point. On this I have a valve with a length of hose long enough to get up to a jar on the cabin sole. This allows me to drain out the water that collects in diesel tanks.

Your problem is the pick up tube is not deep enough in the tank and or, the tank is a bad shape for the application.

hope that helps

Phil

Last edited:

Bomr

Member I
Fuel Tank

Thanks for the reply. I am new to this and this gives me some things to look at. It is a 25 gallon tank, I believe plastic, and I believe it has a flat bottom. I suspect that you are correct about the hose and the shape being the problem. Since I don't use the diesel much it's not an urgent issue, but I would like to have it available when I go for a longer cruise next spring.
Thanks

Last edited:

chaco

Member III
E35II Fuel Tanks

Replaced the Old Steel Leaking Fuel Tank on the Mid Engine 74' E35II.
Is yours Mid Engine or Aft Engine ?
Search / Check out :E35II - E35II Fuel Tank Replacment
:E35-2 - Fuel Tank Removal

Let me know as you need Design Drawings for 40GA Welded Aluminum
Replacement Tank. Plastic Tanks are temporary CHEAP replacements for
REAL Tanks :nerd:

Happy Motoring :egrin: :egrin:

Bomr

Member I
Mid Engine

Mine is a '73 with the mid engine layout. The fuel tank is at the rear of the boat under the cockpit.
I originally thought the new fuel tank was a plus. I guess it's better than a an old leaking tank, but I will probably want to upgrade this at some point.

Chaco, what dock are you located on in Oceanside Harbor? I am on I-dock, in front of the yacht club. It would be nice to know where another E35II owner is in the harbor. There seem to be quite a few E35s in the Harbor, but I am new and haven't met any of the other Ericson owners in the harbor.

chaco

Member III
H-58...all the way out....will be there all weekend...come on by.
What is the name of your boat ?

see ya

Bomr

Member I
Carpe Diem

My boat is named Carpe Diem. We are located at I-30. I am hoping to spend a good portion of the weekend down in the harbor and will try to stop by and introduce myself.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The general consensus on the mest material for a fuel tank seems to be Aluminium. Mine was made for me by www.floridamarinetanks.com. Your current set up sounds fine for general use, even though the job sounds half baked; but if you go touring, needing full capacity, you may want to consider something else.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972