E38 Gooseneck Hinge Wear

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
One of the findings in my recent rig survey was that the vertical hinge in the gooseneck toggle fitting was wearing and it was recommended that I install a sacrificial washer to reduce that wear. When I went to do the job I discovered that the 1/2" pin that had to be pulled to do this, was permanently installed. After removing the paint from the bottom of the pin it is apparent that it has been deformed to prevent it from coming out. The pin is topped with a pair of reef hooks and incorporates the pin for the tack of the mainsail.

I ended up splitting the washer (actually had to clip out a section) and shoving it in there anyway, and then used a liberal amount of McLube on the whole joint. We'll see if it holds up.

I have been told by the rigger who replaced the wires in 1998 that the spar is an Isomat. I'm not sure I believe him. He is not the rigger who did this survey.

I have some more work to do on the rig and I'd like to see if I can determine the spar manufacturer. From these two pictures, can anyone confirm the spar manufacturer? The boom section is oval - not at all like the Isomat sections shown on the Rigrite website. What other information can I supply to help figure out what spar I have? I know the previous owner did not replace the mast or boom, but I don't know if I've got the original 1980 spars.

Thanks in advance your help.

Attachments

• MastheadMarch2005-small.JPG
    MastheadMarch2005-small.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 213
  • GooseneckApril2005-small.jpg
    GooseneckApril2005-small.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 234

e38 owner

Member III
Tom @ furling and Rigging did the standing rigging for a number of Ericsons when they were built including mine. He did a good job when I replaced the standing rigging and may have some insight into the mfg of the spar sections.
949 631 2163

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
One more picture

**** Revisiting the Rigrite site I do see some Kenyon tapered sections ****

Here is the vang - welded brackets like the boom attachment. I thought the taper at the top of the mast might give somebody a clue. I haven't been paying attention to the other E38's I've seen in person, but I will in the future. None of the masts I've seen on Rigrite mention a tapered top section. I am not liable to be messing with anything manufacturer specific this time around, but I'd like to be able to keep tuned in to reported problems. This may not be the original rig or it could be a special order or something.

I looked at most of the early 80's E38s currently on YachtWorld and a couple have the mast head or the full mast in the photos. They both look like straight sections all the way up, and one has bolt-on vang fixtures.

Thanks for the phone number - I may call him.

Attachments

• VangToMastMarch2005-small-reduced.JPG
    VangToMastMarch2005-small-reduced.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Everything looks the same as my rig (89' E 38-200) with the exception of the black paint. Mine is white. My rig is tapered at the top.

escapade

Inactive Member
taper

The Kenyon Spars were tapered by cutting a "V" section out of each side of the tube & then welding along the seam. It's then finished & hopefully heat treated. I received a quote for a new tapered spar for my E34 from Rig-Rite of about $4500 to $5000 for a bare mast. The spars on both my 1980 30+ & 1988 E34 were Kenyon (and tapered). Rig-Rite has Kenyon tube section in stock if you need it but at the price I'd take REAL good care of what I've got.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 Escapade

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks

OK. You've convinced me it's a Kenyon. Mine has no spinnaker tracks in the forward side, either, as the Isomat sections show. The former rigger I talked to must have been mistaken.

I plan to continue the previous owner's tradition of taking good care of the stick. Another finding on the survey was "The mast is a gorgeous thing, ..." so I think I'm ok right now. I have a couple items to attend to from his recommendations.

Cheers,