• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E46 - all the things... Kinda

willo

Member II
This week I kicked off several projects on my 1973 Ericson 46.

Power!
I'm adding 3 530 watt solar panels. These just came out so I was able to pick up a few for my boat.
These will each feed into a dedicated 100/20 victron mppt controller.
Those will help charge a custom built 24v 916ah lifepo4 battery. Just under 24kwh!
Bms is an Orion Jr. A new 5000va quattro inverter will feed the ships AC systems.
The entire system will integrate into a cerbo gx. Phew.

Yesterday I finished pulling my #2 Barlow coffee grinders. The wide open deck feels like a different boat!

Today I've been gutting the old split chiller a/c systems. I'm going to install a new Velair 16k but in the main cabin. This thing is very efficient and should do very well with my large battery.

Earlier this week I pulled my sails and they are now off for inspection and service at a local sail maker.

This week I'm working to pull the mast and begin the process to update my rigging. I will be eliminating the old wire/rope halyards and am seriously considering dyneema/dux vs wire.

I find myself eyeballing my nav station on a daily basis. I think it's getting pulled out and rebuilt into a desk station...

Anyhow, I'm doing even more but wanted to get something up on the forum.

willo

Member II
1636479540697.png
Some of the carnage!
1636479599377.png
Nav station no more.

I will be redoing all the wiring and panels up top at some point. I've since removed the old inverter control panel, and several other items are going away as well. They'll be moved backward a good 8 inches at least, with a forward facing seat -> desktop configuration.

willo

Member II
1636480076852.png
Messed around with the LifePO4 cells a bit. I'm installing 24 of these cells into an 8s3p pack which puts it at 25.6v @912Ah for 23.3KwH of storage. These are going under the port settee, just forward of the nav station bulkhead.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What's that massive white object in the top picture? V-Drive? Winch? Transmission?

Got me puzzled....looks like winch handles, though.

Ah, #2 Barlow coffee grinders.

Got it. I guess they couldn;t be saved....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I find myself eyeballing my nav station on a daily basis. I think it's getting pulled out and rebuilt into a desk station...
I might be misremembering the name, but it might have been Chichester that put in a gimbaled nav desk and seat. And, a keg of beer adjacent.
Something to think about! :)

willo

Member II
Today in ericson 46 life... I found a pile of new pawls that fit my Barlow winches at the used shop today!
This is stellar as I have several to rebuild and was concerned about finding these little bits.