• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Empty CNG tanks

THFSAILS

Luna
We have a CSI Compressed Natural Gas system for the galley stove in our 1988 32-200 that is original equipment. Trouble is we need a refill of the tank and the Corp Brothers facility in Rhode Island no longer does that. There are lots of CNG refilling stations for vehicles around but none know what I am talking about for boats. We are new owners and are wondering if anyone out there knows where or how to get our tank filled. We are in Upstate NY and are willing to travel a bit to fill it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you have the molded propane tank lockers under the stern seats, I'd consider modifying the system to propane. Some stoves can be converted. At the least it would free up the space currently occupied by the CNG tanks.

If you have success finding CNG tank refills or exchanges locally at an acceptable price--never mind.

THFSAILS

Luna
Going to propane is plan B and I was hoping to avoid the cost and hassle of a conversion. But if I have to.....

JSM

Member III
I have CNG and prefer it over porpane for the safety factor. Here in Chicago I have only found one place to exchage tanks and its $100 plus an extra $25 to test and certify your tank if its out of date.
Found this adaptor on Ebay but have read elsewhere that they may not be safe due to higher pressure at CNG filling station pumps.

more on the subject here.

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I fill my own tank at a CNG filling station with the refill adapter mentioned above. It is an easy operation and inexpensive. I have not blown myself up yet.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
It's been a long time since I was involved with CNG, but my recollection is that boat tanks are rated for a pressure lower than that of the local filling stations. IIRC 2000 psi vs 3000 psi. Just something to think about.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
The tank is rated for 2200, so you have to monitor the pressure and be prepared to shut the pump down at your desired pressure. It fills in 10 - 15 seconds. I usually end up around 2000 in the tank. Last year filling to 2000 psi from empty cost less than $2.00.

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
No one should endeavor to do anything they don't feel safe doing. Make sure your tank is inspected and within 5 years of the inspection date stamped on the tank. If you feel unsure about what you are doing, don't do it.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
After years of spending $136 per tank X 2 tanks per year for almost unavailable fuel, I got caught at the bottom of The Hood Canal with no gas when the tank I thought was full was empty (leaked?). That was the final straw. There were propane fills everywhere but CNG was days away.

I ended up with a 2 1/2 gallon propane tank and a Force 10 stove/oven. I now use up a 2 1/2 gallon tank every two years at a cost of about $5.00 where I used to use up about $520.00 of CNG. The Force 10 is a wonderful thing to cook on. I didn't realize what a hunk of junk the CNG stove was. In four years the new stove and new propane system close to paid for. Also, the Oregano system used by Loren is a good exchange.

I lost a ton of weight in the stern and the worry of all that high pressure sitting in the Lazarette and gained a bunch of storage space and got a superior stove. If the propane is installed correctly the safety factor is high. If mickey moussed, it is horrificaly bad. I have followed boats that have blown up and uniformly The installations have been bad (place loose container in bilge) on boats of questionable upkeep.

Follow the USCG guidelines and you will be fine. The electric solenoid valve at the tank allows you to turn the propane on and off at the galley meaning that it is only on when the stove is being used. A sniffer alarm at the sole level is also an additional back up.

Using any system requires vigilance and maintenance. Thirty year old CNG hoses in the cabin are dangerous as hell as any escaping gas from a crack in the line can have them rising past burners on the stove.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I also have not blown myself up filling the gas tank on a car, motorcycle, lawnmower, etc.
I would think it goes without saying why filling your car's gas tank is not exactly equivalent to filling a 3000 psi tank with hardware of unknown provenance sourced from eBay.

debonAir

Member III
I am beginning the plan to switch over from CNG to LPG. While I like the safety factor of CNG, it just doesn't last as long and takes up a lot of space and doesn't cook as fast, etc. My last CNG exchange was even free, for two tanks, it was just hard to find. I thought about getting the adapter to do the self-fill thing but the tanks are just too big and heavy for me to want to lug around and they always run out on the boat, not in my car, and I can get LPG near docks everywhere.

Looking at my round propane lockers though I am wondering where to put the solenoid and regulator.. not much room in there even for a 10 lb tank. Can anyone with a proper propane setup post some pics of how they arranged it all in the locker?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
This is how I did it. The manual valve is for a stern mounted grill.

Attachments

• Propane locker 001 (Medium).jpg
    Propane locker 001 (Medium).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 42

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Hi Vikings! - This is not an argument, I know a propane system is in my future eventually, but I was able to fill my CNG tank from 0 - 2200 psi for $1.40 at an EXXON self-serve station in King of Prussia PA. this morning. As long as I can do that I will.

derekl

Corp Brothers in Providence says they are fixing the CNG filler. I was told may be back in action mid July ?? Until then Creative cooking and empty tanks...…..keep checking with corp bros I think they are getting lots of calls here in the NE. They provide CNG for the Cape as well and must be getting lots of calls.