• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Zinc

bayhoss

Member III
Hello to all, Does anyone out there know if the Universal M-12 (10hp) has an engine zinc. I've looked all over, the only one I came up with was the one for the heat exchanger.

Best,
Frank E28

u079721

Contributing Partner
It is a bit confusing, but that is the only "engine" zinc there is. Just remember when you install a new one that the one from the shop may well be too long for your application, and need to be cut down in length.

bayhoss

Member III
Got that one!

Thanks Steve, I just replaced the heat exchanger and the new one came with the zinc. I just wanted to be certain that there wasn't another lurking somewhere and needing attention.

Best,
Frank E28

u079721

Contributing Partner
If you just got a new HX, with an installed zinc, I would for sure take the trouble to remove it and measure the designed factory specified length and diameter, so you know in the future what to use for a replacement. Those of us with used HXs have always had to guess, especially with the proper length. So in the future if you cut a new replacement pencil zinc down prior to installation, and try to install it but can't, then you know the end of the HX is blocked with crud and needs to be cleaned.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Frank,
Engines designed with closed cooling systems and heat exchangers do not customarily have a zinc in the engine itself, AFAIK.
Loren

u079721

Contributing Partner
Frank,
Engines designed with closed cooling systems and heat exchangers do not customarily have a zinc in the engine itself, AFAIK.
Loren

Great point. I've never encountered a raw water cooled engine, but it must have a zinc somewhere - and it won't be in the HX, since it doesn't have one!

Glyn Judson

Where are all the zincs?

Frank, I think Loren is on to something. The Yanmar 3GM in my boat came to me years ago as a raw water engine and one or two zincs in the side of the block as I recall. I rebuilt it and added the Yanmar factory heat exchanger at the same time and was surprised to learn that by doing that, I was rid of the task of changing the zinc as there are none required at all in the engine or heat exchanger, it's a Yanmar 3GMF now, 22 1/2 horses of unleashed power!! Sorry, but I can only speak to the Yanmar, I know nothing about the Universal but it sounds very familiar. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

bayhoss

Member III
Thanks!

Thanks guys, All the imput is greatly appreciated. I've dropped about $8k into her this year getting her ready for a very big season with some extended trips next year. I didn't want to leave a stone unturned.
Best always,
Frank
E28

Starduff

Member II
Zinc Pencil

Frank,

I also have an E-28 with a Universal Motor. My motor is the M2-12 (11 HP), which is the same as the M12 (10 HP) except for the size of the fuel injectors. All the other specs appear the same. The only engine/motor zinc is the pencil in the heat exchanger on both motors. My $.02 for your peace of mind.

Richard
"Polonius" E-28, Hull 651

Last edited: