• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30-1 prop alignment

When I first got my Ericson last month I wrote asking about the underbody of the boat ( I haven't seen mine out of the water and I know it has rudder damage) and was given some very good information--to contact Bruce King for the line drawings. This I did and received them. My question is has anyone changed the prop from behind the rudder to in front of it? If the prop was left as is how does the boat handle? I have never seen this before and it seems not to be a practical design. Information and opinions, please....

Thanks for information...I assume it reduces prop

drag the way it is designed--do you have a 30-1---do you know from personal experience how it handles? If this is a problem area on the boat--while I am restoring--I would rather address the issue now than take her sailing only to be disappointed in performance and have to haul out and correct.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
props to BK

You are correct that this is a very unusual confirguration for a prop, but as Morgan sez: "If BK designed it that way....."

I can't really see a handling problem at all-in fact, I think the dreaded "prop-walk" problem could be greatly minimized by this configuration-may be completely-since outboard driven sailboats do not suffer from this problem.

The only negatives I see are that the prop is not as well protected as it might be between the rudder and keel, and maybe it could cavitate when motoring into a big sea-But since this has not been an issue of much discussion, my guess it that it has proven a functional, if unusual setup.

As has been suggested already-there is no reason to change it-at least until you find a real reason to. Handling should be fine-maybe improved in reverse (compared the 27,29,32,25 models).

Put the boat together and GO SAILING!

Oh, yeah: but keep us posted!

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for comments....I would still like to hear from

someone who has this design....seems there was a post about this right after I started reading, but I can't remember where I saw it....also, what I remember about the post--it was a negative on the location of the prop.... Designers try new things all the time that aren't functional and there was another 30' designed that year with an outboard rudder and different prop alignment....

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yeah it's a little unusual but I sailed many times on a buddy's
old 30-1 and it handled fine. Trying to make major design
changes like what you are contemplating usually aren't worth
the time or money and in the end may end up hurting performance
and the resale value of the boat. I would suggest you use the boat
as is for a time and give it some more consideration.

Martin

30-1 prop alignment

I haven't said anything about changing the prop position--I asked how the boat handled. Someone on this forum posted something about it being a problem but I can't find the post. So far I haven't gotten an answer to my question. However, I have contacted Bruce King--so once I hear from him, I will understand why he designed the prop this way. Also, I am not changing anything because the rudder and skeg are broken, bent back under the transom, and the prop is gone with the shaft hole plugged ... the hull sealed where it was. I am putting an engine, prop and shaft back in the boat and replacing the rudder...so right now it is easy to put whatever--after I replace it, if it doesn't work right--then I have a problem. There is nothing there now. I guess I didn't frame my question clearly enough. This boat is a hurricane victim and before that she was abused. I am restoring the boat. I want her to be right--I plan to go cruising and am trying to make sure the problems are taken care of in advance. Thank you for all your comments. I know you think I am changing the boat--but I am not--why I asked about the underbody--right now I have only a fin keel....

The final word from Bruce King....

I got a reply from Bruce King regarding the prop placement in my Ericson 30-1 and it is what a surmised--the prop was placed above and behind the rudder/skeg to avoid prop drag while undersail. So that takes care of that....thanks to those of you who responded....

Esolo

The final word from Bruce King....

I got a reply from Bruce King regarding the prop placement in my Ericson 30-1 and it is what a surmised--the prop was placed above and behind the rudder/skeg to avoid prop drag while undersail. So that takes care of that....thanks to those of you who responded..

I just purchased a 1969 30-1 with a 16hp universal diesel and need a new prop. what kind of prop do you have on yours? I have a 3 blade 13X10 and feel it is too small but not sure how big to go.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The OP last posted in March of 2006. Guess we will not find out how the restoration worked out.
(I know of someone that did a complete restoration on a 30-1, and it came out really great. Attractive design.)

debonAir

Member III
I dont think a 13x10x3 is small for a 30 with 16HP, In fact I almost feel it might be a bit on the big side. Easy to find gross size problems. If you are going 2kt fwd in idle and your at hull speed at 1/2 throttle and the engine cant get much past 1/2 max rated RPM you are over-propped. If your engine easily hits rated RPM and just barely gets you to hull speed you're under-propped. Assuming a clean bottom and hull speed is about what you get sailing on a beam reach comfortably (not slammed over, or loafing)

Esolo

Okay thanks. I was thinking
The prop was undersized because the engine easily reaches red line while at hull speed. The only thing that makes me unsure is that it is badly corroded and has a few small chips.