• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30+ (1987) for $8,500 (Southern California)

Matt Fish

Member I
I looked at this 28 last week. The interior looked nearly new -- pristine. In my opinion it would still need: New standing and running rigging, bottom job, new sails, exterior bright work, and mast re-anodizing.) Owner was a great guy as well. He's owned it since 1989.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I looked at this 28 last week. The interior looked nearly new -- pristine. In my opinion it would still need: New standing and running rigging, bottom job, new sails, exterior bright work, and mast re-anodizing.) Owner was a great guy as well. He's owned it since 1989.

That 28 looks like a fairly clean specimen to me. And I don't find the cushions objectionable, personally.

The layout of my 26 is very much like a shrunk-down version of the 28. One thing I'd point out about this design is that the quarter berth is not especially useful as a sleeping berth. On my 26 (which may or may not be true of the 28), the starboard settee pulls out into a double. It makes a very wide and comfortable berth. But that means it would be the berth of choice, and anytime someone would want to use the quarter berth the settee would already be in use. Getting in and out of the QB involves some contortions even when the settee is clear, but getting in and out with someone laying down in the settee would entail stepping over (on?) whomever is in it. On my 26 the QB serves as a much-needed "garage," where I store the dinghy, cockpit cushions, and various other stuff, so I wouldn't use it for sleeping in any case. I've never seen the ergonomics of it on the 28 in person, though, but I'm guessing you might find the same to be true.

On my 26, the port berth is too narrow for sleeping comfortably, but the extra beam of the 28 might translate into a more useful berth. It's something you might want to check. (I have plans, by the way, to make a collapsible extension for the port berth so I can widen it about 6" for when I need to sleep someone in it.)

On my 26, the vee berth is comfortable once you contort your way into it, which take some effort due to the low headroom. The extra size on the 28 might translate into a taller vee-berth and obviate that issue. Again, something else to check out.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Alan, Check out the cushions on the E29 he posted above. Are those the ones you're talking about ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As for sleeping accomodations, check this thread and if the model in question is not there, hopefully someone will add it.

Matt Fish

Member I
Alan, I personally love the blue cushions on the 28. The 1974 E29 loud red floral print not so much.

I didn't try the quarter berth on the 28 but I could imagine using it as a garage as well. Similar to your 26, the 28 starboard settee pulls out into a double and that'd be for the adults, I'd guess, and the vee berth for the kids. (I'm hoping to sail with our two boys, 12 and 9.)

I tried to lie down in the vee berth of the 28. I fit, but the headroom was limited and it took some contorting. Probably similar to your 26.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Matt, where you feet first in the V berth and still didn't have head room ? I can sit up in the aft end of my V Berth with just a slight lean against the bulkhead and thought that 28 would be pretty much the same.

Matt Fish

Member I
Dave, I was a little bit awkward when I tried to lie down in the 28's V berth. I went in head first so that my shoes wouldn't touch the cushions. (Who knows why I didn't just take my shoes off...ugh.) In retrospect I wish I had gone in feet first. The owner and his wife slept feet forward and heads aft -- as you do -- and he said it was a little tight but still ok.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Dave, I was a little bit awkward when I tried to lie down in the 28's V berth. I went in head first so that my shoes wouldn't touch the cushions. (Who knows why I didn't just take my shoes off...ugh.) In retrospect I wish I had gone in feet first. The owner and his wife slept feet forward and heads aft -- as you do -- and he said it was a little tight but still ok.
Referring back to my earlier comment about the vee berth in my E26: I actually sleep head facing aft, but I go into the berth head first. Once in, I swivel around so that I am oriented with my head aft and feet forward. Because the E26 has a low ceiling up there it makes it a slight challenge. It's not terrible or anything, but does require a little bit of effort. Depending on the vertical clearance, the 28 may not suffer from this issue at all.

I'm not quite sure how I could go into my vee berth feet first....

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Run real fast through the salon and leap feet first into the berth ! I have to sit on the aft edge of the berth then pull my feet up, twist and slide my torso and legs forward. Every time I do it I think to myself that there should be a grab rail/handle just forward of the hatch to make it easier. Maybe when I get through the important fixes I'll try to mount one up there. Something like the spring loaded handles in the back seat of cars/suvs so its not hanging down when not in use. My Quarter berth is no picnic to get into either as the nav station is right up tight to it.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The E38's V berth may be larger, but not easier. I've yet to find a V berth that allows elegant entry. They tend to be up, you gotta be bent, there's no good launch pad. But it is still better than camping in dirt.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
While it's true that getting into a vee berth may be a minor challenge generally, some boats are definitely worse than others. For instance, on a Catalina 30 I used to own, the headroom and general accessibility of the vee berth made maneuvering around in it much, much easier than my present experience. But then, a C30 has a cavernous interior for a 30 footer. (It also kind of sails like a Winnebago, but that's another subject.)

I'd be curious to see what access is like on the E28+ that we are discussing. It's basically a stretched out E26 (or the E26 is a shrunken E28?), so perhaps it's not so bad.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
From what I understand the 28+ has the same hull as the 30+ with with 1.5' chopped off the stern. Both have 10.5' beam, the rig dimensions are of course slightly different too. From pics/drawing on Sailboatdata.com it looks like the 28+ forward cabin profile is real close to mine and it has a wider quarter berth so I wonder if the engine is offset ?

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Oh and the boat above is a 28-2 I think which is different from the 28+, only 10' beam so hull shape a little different, looks like layout different too.

rconehere

Member I
I had an ericson 25+ with a compression post base issue. It sounds like the 30+ may be similar. It seemed like a difficult fix at the time, but it actually wasn't that bad all things considered.

Just did the same on my 25+. Put a piece of G-10 in.