Ericson 32-200, What to Look For

Horace74

Member I
We currently sail a San Juan 28 and we are looking to move up to an Ericson 32-200. The San Juan was our first boat purchase 4 years ago and we absolutely love the way the boat sails but we are now looking for a bit more space. We think going up to a 32 foot boat would give us the space we need and an Ericson will give us the performance we crave. For the Ericson 32-200 owners on this forum, what are some things we need to look out for when looking at these boats for purchase?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most of what is reported about all mid-80s Ericsons applies to the 32-200. That model is the same hull and rig as the contemporaneous Ericson 32-3, but the head is moved aft and interior revised accordingly. Chief 80s characteristic is Tri-Axial Force Grib (TAFG) construction. Note that Ericson 32s built prior to the '80s are quite a different design.

Try this for starters:

Horace74

Member I
Most of what is reported about all mid-80s Ericsons applies to the 32-200. That model is the same hull and rig as the contemporaneous Ericson 32-3, but the head is moved aft and interior revised accordingly. Chief 80s characteristic is Tri-Axial Force Grib (TAFG) construction. Note that Ericson 32s built prior to the '80s are quite a different design.

Try this for starters:

Thanks for the info......great read!

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I have written a good deal about my novice refit of my 32-200 for the past 2 years here on the forum and at www.sailboatrefit.com. The Don Casey book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" is a good general reference.

Design-wise, I would offer that in the 32-200 there is very little space between the propeller stuffing box and the coupling, which makes changing the packing material "joyful." Take a look at the stuffing box or shaft seal.

The aftmost trapezoidal windows in the main salon experience some flexing (I think) and are located at a point of curvature and therefore are prone to leaking.

The 32-200 has a longer waterline and larger rudder than the 32-3 and the deck molds were updated and improved with better winch mount locations and some subtleties with how the anchor locker lid closes. The 32-3 and 200 are otherwise very close siblings.

Of all the generations of Ericson 32's the layout of the 200 is closest to what one would expect from modern designs with the aft double cabin and head. I don't want to come out and say it's the best sailboat that Ericson ever made, but one could be forgiven for coming to that conclusion.

jav317

Member III
We purchased our 1990 32-200 last May. I think what I've had to update and replace maybe of help. The Head and holding tank system is strange and was factory designed. I replaced the whale pump for discharge with a marcerator and replumbed the system. The packing gland and batteries are under the aft bunk, not easy to access. Besure both are in good condition. Our refrigeration caused condensation to build up in the chart table. I insulated the top and sealed the area better. Of course the running, standing rigging is very important along with the steering system. We also had to take the bottom all the way back to the glass, removing most likely 30 years of bulid up. The mast didn't have a weep hole and held water. Be sure to inspect the mast step for corrosion and for drainage.
The boat is a little different than the 32-3 the water line is 6 inches longer due to the aft cabin interferring with the steering system. They rised the aft section of the cockpit and moved the rudder further aft. This lengthen the waterline. I found the article explaining these features and others at Boats.com. The article is titled "Out of Thin Air" by Chris Caswell.
Get ready to nicest sailing boat out there!
Enjoy!
Joe

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Look for a "soft" anchor locker door because of water intrusion though the locking handle and delaminating the door. I had to rebuild my door and in the process I "beefed" it up with glassed in hard wood supports.

IMG_1686.jpeg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We currently sail a San Juan 28 and we are looking to move up to an Ericson 32-200. The San Juan was our first boat purchase 4 years ago and we absolutely love the way the boat sails but we are now looking for a bit more space. We think going up to a 32 foot boat would give us the space we need and an Ericson will give us the performance we crave. For the Ericson 32-200 owners on this forum, what are some things we need to look out for when looking at these boats for purchase?
On the off chance that you do not find an E-32-200 for sale right away, you might consider a similar displacement Olson 34. Similar interior layout, but roomier..
We actually had earnest money down on a 32-200, back in 1994, but could not agree on price with the owner. Found an 0-34 nearby and bought it... still have it. We like the aft head layout, and this is probably out last boat. Faster boat, too. :)
Happy shopping, whatever your choice.
(Oh, and you will love the upgrade in Ericson build quality coming from the SJ-28. We spend time aboard a SJ-28, that some friends race and cruise, so are kind of familiar with the boat.)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A good thread on the "extended waterline" consideration for the -200 series. Thanks, Tom.

Horace74

Member I
I have written a good deal about my novice refit of my 32-200 for the past 2 years here on the forum and at www.sailboatrefit.com. The Don Casey book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" is a good general reference.

Design-wise, I would offer that in the 32-200 there is very little space between the propeller stuffing box and the coupling, which makes changing the packing material "joyful." Take a look at the stuffing box or shaft seal.

The aftmost trapezoidal windows in the main salon experience some flexing (I think) and are located at a point of curvature and therefore are prone to leaking.

The 32-200 has a longer waterline and larger rudder than the 32-3 and the deck molds were updated and improved with better winch mount locations and some subtleties with how the anchor locker lid closes. The 32-3 and 200 are otherwise very close siblings.

Of all the generations of Ericson 32's the layout of the 200 is closest to what one would expect from modern designs with the aft double cabin and head. I don't want to come out and say it's the best sailboat that Ericson ever made, but one could be forgiven for coming to that conclusion.
How was the condition of the boat when you purchased it?

Horace74

Member I

Thanks for the response! We knew it was a great boat but the fact that you think it is the best boat Ericson ever made gives us even more confirmation.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I bought the nicest boat I could find and have never regretted it.
A large percentage of boat shoppers fail to understand the concept. of "value". They often spend too little going in, and a lot more $ by a year later.
This applies to used car shopping, too. Don't ask me how I learned this, when I was young. :(

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I have a beautiful 32-200 that’s about to have her standing rigging replaced. She’s for sale if the price is right. Mr Hainey

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
It sure could be. I haven’t received any messages through there. Please send me a PM here if you would like to chat.

Horace74

Member I
I had a conversation earlier this week with the guy who sold me my San Juan 28 who now sails and Ericson 35-3 and I told him my next boat would probably be an Ericson 32-200. It's plenty of room for my wife and I and it's perfect for our sailing needs (day sailing with overnight and weekends twice a month). He suggested I look at the 35's because it would be hard to fit AC on a 32 as we are in the Mid Atlantic and it gets hot as hell in the summer. I mentioned that I had seen some 32's listed with AC but I wasn't sure. I am not in the market this season but probably next season which is why I am doing my research now and I sent you that message yesterday inquiring about the difficulty in fitting AC on the 32. I was also looking at Cal-33's and Ericson 34-200's but I think I have settled in or the 32-200 as my favorite so far.

jtsai

Member III
I can see why AC would be difficult fitting in a 32-200. The AC in my 32-3 is located under the U-shaped dinette settee next to the chart table. 32-200 has two straight settees and probably host water tanks. I wonder if the hang locker in the aft cabin is an option. Another option is a 5,000 btu window unit on the companionway.

1651150842378.png

1651150876202.png

Horace74

Member I
We have a window unit on our boat now and it's kind of a pain in the ass to haul around and step over going in and out of the companion way. We would prefer something out of the way. In fact, we would like to be able to fit a small generator on board but that may be a pipe dream on a 32 foot boat. Pacific Seacraft continued to make the 32-200's under their own brand and called it the PS 32-333 but those boats seem to be pretty rare. We will see what's out there at the end of this season then take it from there.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I have a 32-3 and the previous owner removed the water tank from the v-birth and installed the AC/Heat pump there. He then added another water tank under the port side settee to compensate for it.
IMG_1077.jpeg IMG_1078.jpeg

Controls are mounted on the starboard side bulkhead in the v-birth with and a round vent above it and another rectangular vent in the salon. A vent hose runs under the small seat from the unit in the v-birth, though the hanging locker and to the salon vent.
IMG_1079.jpeg IMG_1081.jpeg

The air returns are located next to the small seat in the v-birth which consists of three removable louvered panels with metal filters inside that I just vacuum out in the spring. just beyond these panels and located under the v-birth is a temperature sensor that is connected to the control panel.
IMG_1080.jpeg

The sea water intake, valve, filter and pump are located under the settee in the main salon just aft of the bulkhead that's between the salon and the head. I don't have photos of that setup but I can take some this weekend and post them here just in case anyone is interested on how to put an AC/Heat pump on a E32-3.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
i put ours in the hanging locker in the aft cabin. 16,000 BTU Mermaid. You can hang meat in July in our boat …lol