Ericson 34 wins Boatworks Bailout contest!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Boatworks Bailout contest.

Has anyone else been following the restoration of Castaway, the Ericson 34 owners, John and Le Ann Smith of Rhode Island. John and Le Ann are you here at EY.org?

Any way they are the winners of the Boatworks Bailout contest, (kind of like Pimp My Ride) where they come in and completely restore and customize your aging boat. This months Sail Magazine has a great article on the restoration.

Lucky SOB's Wish I could just win a new paint job, let alone all new hardware, electronics, plumbing, rigging, interior and more!

Where do I sign up for the next contest??:esad:

http://www.sailmag.com/boatworks/BoatWorksBailout/

http://sailmag.com/boatworks/BWBailoutSprayPaint/

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Jeff,

Been following it for over a year. Great story! Basically they will have new boat. I read all the sail magazines so it was hard to miss.

Good story because they would have had to sell boat or donate it if this did not happen because they did not have money for everything. The boat just needed too much. It was in their family for years.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Grrrr....

I'm not happy with the articles because they're not about the boat at all. Swap in a Catalina 38 or Swan 43 or Hans Christian 54 and the articles would read exactly the same.

I have the same boat, and I was hoping to learn some things about it, and get some ideas. But they don't talk about the boat, or any of their obstacles, at all. All they talk about are their sponsors' products -- with the same degree of objectivity as the manufacturer's brochures.

It's been a real let-down because I can't find info on the E34-T anywhere else. I was hoping to learn something from the project.

bigtyme805

Member III
I see Mark's point and he is right. Although, I did hear they are going to have a CD about the entire project.

The problem that Boatworks has, everything is donated from the sponsors' so they are a little tied down. Hopefully the CD is better.

I saw a segment on some sailing video, maybe Lats and Atts where they talked about the deck, coring, paint, etc,.. Actually was quite informative.

Mark the one problem you may have is they basically rebuilt the entire boat. The engine was only thing they didn't replace. Probably would have if someone donated one.:)

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I'll need to check out the Sail mag articles and the CD. So far I've spent about $35 on Boatworks back issues, and learned nothing about the boat's needs, her construction, their installation techniques, or anything. Nuthin' but "see, here we installed sponsor X's shiny new product. It will (spot UFO's/change the kitty litter/serve as disco ball). Grrrr....

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I understand your frustration Mark.

I understand your frustration Mark. If I were you I would just post your specific questions about your E-34 T here at EY.org. It's the best place to get your answers I can think of. I enjoy reading Sail magazine, but rarely find anything in the "How to" departments that I haven't already learned on my own.

I just made this posting because I want to know how to get Boat Works to Pimp My Ericson, for FREE!:confused:

Once again, those lucky SOB's!

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
But your Ericson already IS pimped!

Mine needs some work, and I get headaches just trying to pick a place to start.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I'm taking mine to Two Harbors Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll break something which will give me something to focus on and begin the pimpage. ;-)

bigtyme805

Member III
I think you guys should start a TV Show called PIMP my BOAT.:egrin:

The PIMP my ride show does amazing stuff with those beat up rides.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Overhaulin!

Overhaulin' on TLC is "The Show" and Chip's(Foose) "da man"!

He finds cars "worth salvaging" and makes them "better"(much better)!:)

Pimp My Ride takes your average POS and loads it down w/ "bells and whistles"(w/ no thought given to quality, practicality or function):mad: They leave the shop a "pretty" POS!

I wouldn't INSULT MY Ericson w/ a "pimp-out"! JMHO and also TIC:egrin: ----- never did like the "phrase"! -------OVERHAUL ME!----- or "keel-haul" me if you prefer!

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
They also ruin a lot of classics on that show. I stopped watching because of all the crap they put in some of them. It just turned into one big commercial sort of like the Ericson overhaul which has been very disappointing.
Believe it or not "this old house" really is just a big commercial for PBS sponsors. I knew someone who was considering having their house worked on and they turned it down because the producers decide what they will do to YOUR house and what products to use. You have very little say in what they do. I also do not ever recall any of the shows where they were not asking the owners for additional funds by halfway through.

Pimp My Boat

I believe that "Boat Works" has bit the dust and if you have anything left of your subscription, you'll be getting issues of "Sail" to make up the differance:( . Oh well, I'm still getting "Good Old Boat" which is a better rag anyhow,IMHO.

Fair winds

Chad

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Just dug up the article

I couldn't help but notice that the #5 picture in the Sail mag article isn't even a shot of the Ericson 34T keel. Those darn editors! Oh, well.

For unrelated reasons I have dropped my 8-year subscription to Sail and haven't decided what to get next. Good Old Boat is attractive, though, since that's what I own.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For unrelated reasons I have dropped my 8-year subscription to Sail and haven't decided what to get next. Good Old Boat is attractive, though, since that's what I own.

I like reading GOB, when it appears every other month, but for my money the best of the best is Practical Boat Owner, from the UK.

Loren

CaptDan

Member III

Truth be known, I began a subscription to Sail last year. The price was right -$12. I wasn't going to renew until they made me a second offer I couldn't refuse: $13.

rant on...........

There hasn't been a single issue I've read that I've liked as much as any from Good Old Boat since 2000. Actually, it's not even fair to compare the magazines; the markets they each cater to are so vastly different. However, there's at least one good tech article in Sail each month to keep me sufficiently interested.

Stupid question, I suppose, but how many new boats can Hanse, Bennie, H*nter, Catalina, Jeanneau, Dufour, et all expect to sell each year? Are there that many people with a spare $350K laying around, or banks so idle they're champing at the bit to loan money for yachts these days? Are there that many sailors willing to rip out their 8 year old electronics and replace 'em with a spendy new whizbang suite from Garmin, Lowrance or Ray?

Those glossy full page ads from PearsonPlastics aren't cheap to produce either. And what about the boat 'reviews?' Seems the only downside to any of the latest offerings falls into the minutia catagory. No conflict of interest there.:rolleyes:

Still, you have to factor in the price; with Sail you get, maybe, two good techs articles monthly at an average price of .58 cents each. With Good Old Boat you might get seven, plus at least two evocative essays averaging .37 cents a piece.

See, when you look at it that way, maybe you CAN compare the two rags. In my jaundiced opinion, of course. :egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Right with you, Dan

I confess to having a pattern going with paid magazine subscriptions. I get tired of them and eventually just stop reading them. Happened with Cruising World, then Sail (in another life it was Flying Magazine and then AOPA Pilot). Even the freebies or near-freebies I pick up at the chandlery get old. I've stopped reading 48 North and the big glossy one that's mostly about power boats.

I will get on board again soon. I would consider a subscription to Lats and Atts, or maybe Latitude 38. At least L&A has this goofy undertone (or maybe its just goofy), so it has its appeal for me because it is an even mix. Kind of like the Dave Letterman of boating mags.

There is a gem or two in every issue of all of them, tho. I will look up Practical Boat owner, see if a local bookstore has a copy. (Thanks Loren)

CaptDan

Member III
I would consider a subscription to Lats and Atts, or maybe Latitude 38. At least L&A has this goofy undertone (or maybe its just goofy),

I was an avid reader of Latitude 38 for years. Didn't miss a month, largely because I lived within a bike ride of a WM and could pick 'em up for free.:)

Speaking of goofy - or perhaps irreverent and occasionally misinformed - Lat38's editor responses to the Letters column often fit that description.
But, it's a great mag; still read one every now and again, IF I'm at a WM. Can't see paying for subscription, but a lot of folks do.

Sold my old boat and found 'Kunu' via their Classy Classifieds, as well.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"