• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 34T - Access Plate by Keel?

ndrake95

Hello,

I am currently looking into purchasing a 1979 Ericson 34T. I had a marine survey completed and the report came back with a question regarding what the access plate is for (located outboard of the leading, starboard side of the keel).

access_plate.PNG

Is this a part of the original Ericson 34T design or something added? What is on the other side of the plate?

Thank you in advance,
Nick

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have not seen anything like that on an Ericson, or on any other fiberglass boat either. Ask the seller what it's for.
It would help a lot to view the inside of that section of hull.

Last edited:

ndrake95

Thank you everyone for taking a look at this. I reached out to the owner, but he did not know what that was. The yard mechanic thinks it’s actually a SSB communications ground plate. Here is what they said:

“We don’t want to call it an access plate as there is nothing to access, as above the plate inside the boat, is the fiberglass cabin sole; however, when we reached under the sole thru the bilge, we felt a sort of reverse recess which made us even more convinced this plate was installed at the factory as part of the original laminate. Of course, we are all for hearing other theories.”

This is a plausible theory, which this website provides detail on how the SSB marine radios work.

ssb.PNG

Strange find for a boat that has been in Lake Michigan most (if not all) of her life. If someone else has another theory, please share.

Thank you,
Nick

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ok, I'll buy it. I vaguely remember seeing bronze plates under boats. Our SSB had insulators on the backstay (but the original 34T backstay was probably replaced long ago).

Say, does any of us still have working SSB? I wouldn't be surprised, to own an Ericson is to live in the past.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I have an SSB “for” my Ericson, but it’s in my garage and pretty deep on the project list.

A ground-plane for an SSB is usually bare metal in direct contact with the water. I’ve never seen one laminated into the skin of a boat. It has to have a lot of surface area exposed to the water to be effective. And, obviously, it needs to connect to the radio via a wire inside the boat
modern ground-planes look like this:

89229F9C-8718-45BE-93EF-46FB098F6CD3.png
Made of sintered bronze, cast with thousands of pores to create lots of surface area in a relatively small fitting.

B

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
SSB was a requirement in the 2010 Pac Cup. Used to report position at 1000 daily. It made for some good entertainment on deliveries too - there is a group of sailors (singlehanders perhaps, I don't remember) that check in daily at the same time. Some with good stories of progress made, repairs, regional info etc. We weren't members, but listened in from time to time. I bet it's still going, with an ever changing membership.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
there is a group of sailors (singlehanders perhaps, I don't remember) that check in daily at the same time.

There are still a variety of "nets" out there, some more active than others, but as you say, fun to listen in on.

https://www.docksideradio.com/index.html

In/around Southern California and Baja, the best (IMO) is Don Anderson's "amigo" net. More active (and more entertaining) than most, with useful weather info. There are plenty of others, noting that SSB frequencies generally reach 1000 miles (or less, depending on conditions) so the nets tend to be regional. There's a VHF net up here in the Pacific Northwest available through a network of repeaters, kinda fun to check in on.

Bruce

LameBMX

Member II
Ok, I'll buy it. I vaguely remember seeing bronze plates under boats. Our SSB had insulators on the backstay (but the original 34T backstay was probably replaced long ago).

Say, does any of us still have working SSB? I wouldn't be surprised, to own an Ericson is to live in the past.

I actually do, though it was not boating related. Kenwood TS-820 SSB Transceiver. Already noted it appears the mast antenna connection was severed a long time ago. Not the best as the the TxRx supports 12V power supply :)