• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-3

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
@JMJacobsen - Michele,
I realized we have very similar staining in the same area on our E35-3. I attribute it to the leaky dorade box discussed in the following two threads.
coach paneling 2023_6 sm.jpg

Winter 21-22 I sealed our dorade box bed and that area seams to be staying dry now. I also drilled and filled the mounting holes for the dorade guard. This past winter we refurbisheded and have rebedded the portlights. Hopefully we'll see even more improvement.

This seems to be a common problem. If you tackle it, you will learn about the dreaded 10,000 rusty staples.

JMJacobsen

@JMJacobsen - Michele,
I realized we have very similar staining in the same area on our E35-3. I attribute it to the leaky dorade box discussed in the following two threads.
View attachment 47343

Winter 21-22 I sealed our dorade box bed and that area seams to be staying dry now. I also drilled and filled the mounting holes for the dorade guard. This past winter we refurbisheded and have rebedded the portlights. Hopefully we'll see even more improvement.

This seems to be a common problem. If you tackle it, you will learn about the dreaded 10,000 rusty staples.
Thank you for those links to the threads…will read carefully for sure since it’s officially my problem (or so the new title/registration says lol) as of today.

JMJacobsen

A quick update on the Ericson 35-3 for sale in the OP. I closed on it today and she is officially mine! It truly was a unicorn find: 2nd owners (20 yrs) took extremely good care of her and primarily used for racing. But at 80 yrs old, they felt it was time to pass the boat on (along with more sails than I can count and every last bit of sailing paraphernalia/tools/extras/dodgers/biminis/etc they collected over the years.The survey was outstanding and no surprises at all…owners completely honest which made the “to-do” list much more palatable. Engine survey done a couple of months back so I just contacted the mx worker who performed the check for verification. Sea trials (two of them) went very nicely. And in an area where decent marina slips are nearly impossible to find, I retained the slip at same price.

From first looksy to contract to survey to sea trials to haul out to insurance to title transfer and a cash payment took a tad over 2 weeks. I think I’m still in shock….but I love this boat already. Here’s to being the 3rd owners for the next 20 years.

Attachments

• IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4064.jpeg
    IMG_4064.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4058.jpeg
    IMG_4058.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 35

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Congrats, she's a great boat. Makes all the difference in the world when the previous owner is truthful about everything. Like you, my 35-3's previous owner told me everything. He also informed me the broker was not pleased with him for sharing so much, fearing it would scare me away, but it was quite the contrary. This place is a fantastic resource, with maybe the most helpful members of any forum on the internet. Enjoy!

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
A quick update on the Ericson 35-3 for sale in the OP. I closed on it today and she is officially mine! It truly was a unicorn find: 2nd owners (20 yrs) took extremely good care of her and primarily used for racing. But at 80 yrs old, they felt it was time to pass the boat on (along with more sails than I can count and every last bit of sailing paraphernalia/tools/extras/dodgers/biminis/etc they collected over the years.The survey was outstanding and no surprises at all…owners completely honest which made the “to-do” list much more palatable. Engine survey done a couple of months back so I just contacted the mx worker who performed the check for verification. Sea trials (two of them) went very nicely. And in an area where decent marina slips are nearly impossible to find, I retained the slip at same price.

From first looksy to contract to survey to sea trials to haul out to insurance to title transfer and a cash payment took a tad over 2 weeks. I think I’m still in shock….but I love this boat already. Here’s to being the 3rd owners for the next 20 years.
I know you must have a ton of items on your to do list. I'm really interested in hearing about gooseneck configuration. In the first picture, It looks different than most , maybe a custom repair?

JMJacobsen

I know you must have a ton of items on your to do list. I'm really interested in hearing about gooseneck configuration. In the first picture, It looks different than most , maybe a custom repair?
Hi Nick,
I honestly have no idea, but your question has caught my attention and I’ve just sent an email to the previous owner asking about it. Will let you know what I discover. M.