Ericsons Racing on the Chesapeake

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I happened to be trolling around the PHRF site for the Chesapeake and noticed that the list is sorted by boat make. I counted 18 Ericsons with PHRF numbers for the bay ranging from 25' CB's to 38's. Thats pretty good for a boat not being built anymore! I also see that I got pinched the hardest of the 38s with the exception of the guy who has the modified (???) 38 wing keel with the base 114 rating. I recognize Chris Millers Sequoia, but are there any more of you guys on that list? And finally when should we start talking about the E-38 one design regatta for next spring? Maybe get some other classes in too?

Sorry its been unseasonably warm and the only boat I can sail is my Jet 14 right now. People are talking about Key West Race Weekm and I'm dieing over here!!!!!

http://www.phrfchesbay.com/validlist.pdf

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
In reviewing the list, I was surprised to see the Ericson 32s listed as high/slow as they are, around 200 PHRF rating--my impression is that they are faster, though I don't own one. :confused:

Does anyone know?
Frank.

e38 owner

Member III
ratings

the 32s @ 200 are the 32-2 the 32-3s are much faster about 150ish
Ted you must be the only deep Keel for miles around. I have a deep keel and rate 117

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Ted- you have to go on vacation...

Friends go to the sunsail resort where the girls chill on the beach with a cocktail and a book and the boys go sailing off the beach, and the kids have activities too. Sure beats disney world:egrin:

http://www.sunsail.com/clubs

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
You are so right Chris. I was actually hoping for a few weeks in the Grandines diving and sailing but doesn't look like its in the cards this winter... Wifey wants to finish the basement. :boohoo:

S Ellis

Member I
E32 rating

Quiet Frank!!! I'm racing with a rating of 224. I do agree with you that this seems somewhat high,but time will tell. I still manage to keep up with quite a few lower rated boats! Why don't you come out and join us in some racing out of NYC?....It'd be fun to have another Ericson show up. We've got a single handed series starting Jan 3. One race a month. Should be fun, although I'll miss the first three as I have to go South to warm up! You don't have to be a club member to race, we're just trying to increase the fleet. Let me know if your interested and I'll give you all the info.
Steve
Diversion E32
Nanaimo

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Steve, thanks...

Steve, thanks for the invitation to join in the racing. Unfortunately, although we have our boat in Nanaimo, we still live in Edmonton, Alberta for the next 1 - 2 years until we move to Nanaimo to retire. So our trips to the coast are few and far between at the moment and then often with our adult kids going to one or the other of the Gulf Islands on holiday, not conducive to racing.
Are you a member of the Nanaimo Yacht Club? If so, could you email me some information about the club--I phoned them, but they didn't really want to talk with me about membership or anything until we move out there--and then mentioned a 2 - 10 year wait for moorage! (We are currently moored at the Townsite marina). If you could respond, my email address is: flanger@cha.ab.ca
Thanks,
Frank.