Fixedlight Gaskets

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Per requests, I'm moving this thread over to Ericsonyachts.org so that the admittedly very crude scan of the gasket section can be included -- this is from my 1988 38-200 with Lewmar ports. The email thread from Sailnet is included below.

______
Either/or. How much do you need? I was able to complete three of the four windows with the existing gasket, but the fourth of course fell apart. I have 25 feet coming and only need about 5 to finish up. Otherwise feel free to call Wefco -- I talked to a guy named PJ there. They charge $100 for retooling, and then its $50 for 25 feet.

I'm attaching a rather crude scan of the end section of the gasket which is being fabricated -- it has a scale next to it so you can see the size. Let me know if you have any questions.

---- Original Message ----
To: ericson@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:54:28 AM
Subject: Re: [ericson] Port Light gaskets

I also have a 1988 38-200 and need to replace my gaskets. Can you give me information about your order and maybe I can piggy back on your order. Or if you did not place your order yet we can split the costs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply-To: "Ericson" <ericson@list.sailnet.net>
To: ericson
Subject: Re: [ericson] Port Light gaskets
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:43:00 -0700 (PDT)

Are you talking about the fixedlights or the opening? My problem was with the fixedlights, the gasket between the glass and the aluminum extrusion. I had the same experience with Select Plastics -- I've ordered some from Wefco Rubber but it is a special order, so after sending them a section of the old gasket, I had to pay a retooling fee and buy a minumum of 25 ft, of which I only need 5. I thought about trying to make do with some other gasket but decided it was such a PITA to remove, disassemble and rebed the fixedlights that I wanted to only do it once. My boat is a 1988 38-200.

----- Original Message ----
To: ericson@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 12:57:38 PM
Subject: [ericson] Port Light gaskets

Now that I'm ready to address the leaks in the port lights,

I find that the gasket material is unavailable.

I talked to Select Plastics and they said they have none and can no longer get it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

walt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• gasket.pdf
    19.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:

Walter Pearson

Member III
Gasket

I have to wonder why tooling for this is needed. The scan looks like it is Wefco's #2154. Evidently there were lights made with different glass thicknesses, so that is worth double-checking. Some time ago, Kevin Wright sent me a small sample of gasket that was supposed to be 2154, but looked like it was meant for thinner glass - and he reported difficulty during assembly. I do remember postings from someone who did have tooling made for gasket to fit the thinner glass. Perhaps these two extrusions get mixed up.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I talked to them about 2154, but on the fax they sent me, it looked too small to fit the channel in the aluminum extrusion. Consequently I sent them a section of the failed gasket and they confirmed that 2154 was thinner and smaller than the gasket currently used on my boat.

I wanted something that would fill the channel so I could maintain a good seal, but at the same time, no bigger than what I already had which would have prevented me from getting the window back together again (I thought about using 1443, but was concerned that I wouldn't be able to press the pieces back together again.