FS 1987 34-2 w/Electric Motor

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
Life changes have brought me to the sad conclusion that I must sell my beloved Ericson. Hoping my hard work to update her will be enjoyed by the next owner. Boat is located on the Upper Chesapeake Bay in Maryland on Bodkin Creek (12 miles north of Annapolis and 5 miles south of Baltimore).

1987 Ericson 34-2 - Rule of Thumb
$18,000 Firm

Electric Yacht Quiet Torque 10.0 motor – new June, 2018
300aH Lifeline GPL-6CT AGM Motor Battery Bank – new June, 2018
48v Delta-Q ic1200 Industrial battery charger
3 blade prop with new cutlass bearing and stuffing installed in the fall (original 2 blade prop also included)
440W Sunpower Flexible Solar Panel in series w/Victron 100/20 MPPT Smart Controller w/Bluetooth
180 aH Wet Cell House Batteries
48v-12v Victron Charge Controller to charge house from motor bank
Victron Phoenix Inverter 48v-120V 250VA
Victron BMV-700 Battery Monitor
Garmin EchoMAP 74cv Chartplotter w/sonar
Standard Horizon GX 2200 w/AIS Receiver (wired to Chartplotter) + West Marine Handheld
Datamarine Depth (w/new transducer 2020)/Wind/Distance Log (new Transcducer 2020)
JVC KDLX1 Stereo/DVD player
Missouri Wind and Solar 48v DC Water Heating Element
Pressure Water with 2 Poly water tanks
Refrigeration Isotherm 2301 with digitally controlled spill over compartment

Hydrovane Wind Autopilot with a Raymarine ST2000 Tiller Pilot attached for motoring and light winds

West Marine RU-250 Roll-up Dinghy w/Torqueedo Travel 1003 w/500Wh battery and charger
Bimini top an Dodger (parts for full enclosure included but needs modification)
Updated most bulbs to led (new mast steaming light and new anchor light fixtures)
35lb Mantus anchor with 35' of heavy chain (also original Danforth)
Sails are all older but serviceable heavy main with Dutchman slab reefing (2 reefs), 120% Genoa on harken roller furler (updated last year), 110% backup Genoa and a light air drifter with ATN Sock (hoists on separate spinnaker halyard – new main halyard in 2019)
Custom memory foam mattress in aft stateroom
Katadyn 40e Watermaker installed but needs new membrane

I still have the original Universal M-25XP motor, control panel and transmission that can be rebuilt if interested; Original diesel fuel tank is still in boat but has been drained and hoses disconnected.

Specifications: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ericson-34-2

Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks

Photo Gallery -https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3L6kSRNdS7kttSa6

IMG_20210701_170354376.jpg

Last edited:

gc_sailor

A common question about electric motors is range. As you can imagine the answer is highly subjective. Foul wind, current or waves impact range as does speed/throttle RPMs. The relationship between speed/load and battery duration is curvilinear, the harder you push the motor the quicker you drain the batteries. I did quite a bit of testing when I first got the motor and found 700 rpms would push the boat at around 3 knots drawing 12 Amps and .6kW. At this draw the 300Ah AGM batteries (recommended max draw is 50% capacity - 150Ah) is about 12.5 hours or 37.5 nautical miles.

With that said I have gone much further if I put up a little sail and reduce the resistance on the motor. If there is a fair current or following seas again better range. If the solar panels are charging I can increase the range by 6-10 nautical miles. If I run the generator I can do hundreds of miles with no battery charge reduction which I did during my recent 3000 nm trip.

In a typical local sail I have gone 6 days and almost 200 nms without any shore or generator charging. Solar charging helped as did motor regen ~2ah if I sail over 5 knots. I also conserved batteries by limiting motoring to short stretches even sailing onto and off of the anchor. I have light wind sails so I can travel in whispers of wind. Planned routes for favorable tide, wave and wind conditions. Travel is slow and you have to become a better sailor and a patient sailor. An electric motor is not for everyone but I found it very enjoyable calculating and monitoring battery consumption and charging, basically no maintenance (turn the key, push the throttle and you go), and no winterizing so lots of 4 season sailing with the bay to yourself. Hope that answers your questions.

Steve

Tarrymore

Member I
Well done on Rule of Thumb. Man I want this boat! Covid took my business out, so frustrating. I'd already be on a plane there three years ago. Curious how available and expensive marinas are in the area, mooring balls and slips? I'm in Boston. Pricey here. Thanks.

gc_sailor

I'm on a month to month at $425/mo. Annual is cheaper around $3600. There are some cheaper like White Rocks Marina in Pasadena. Mine is average probably double in Annapolis. BWI airport is 10 miles away.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One other small data point about the electric aux power-- If a potential buyer wants a $40K boat for 18K, and would prefer a diesel.... be advised that I spent about 15K total for new new Betamarine25 installation, in 2018, doing only the 'grunt' work myself. At the listed price, such a change (admittedly to some purchasers, unneeded, for sure) would be easy to justify. It's a win ether way, imho.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi gc_sailor,

looks like a great EP install. If the boat was on the west coast I would be very tempted, actually I would be buying the boat! You have done the hard parts of the electric auxiliary (figuring out where to put stuff ;-) and have done it in a complete way. Those are great numbers on amp draw and boat speed. Nicely done!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the boat was on the west coast I would be very tempted, actually I would be buying the boat!
Got a friend with a Ford F250 or equivalent?? With a triple axel trailer........
Just like the great line from a movie: "Road Trip !! "
:)
And an excuse to wear your toga........

Last edited: