• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

fuel level on e27

marcusn

Member II
my 1975 e27 has no fuel gauge, telling me how much fuel is in the aft port metal tank.

Does any one know of an economical way for me to occasionally measure the level of the fuel?

I'm wondering if some sort of dip stick would work, or something 'sensitive' to density stuck on the side of the tank might work.

Thanks all,
Marcus

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Fuel Sender

Marcus~
Maybe the best answer is to add a fuel sender and gauge to your boat. If your tank has a cut out to mount a sender, it will be super easy to install. If there is not one probably not worth your time. It sounds as if you are in the world of guessing, that would make me a little nervous too. I would always be topping off the tank and trying to figure out my fuel burn in between. I wish I had better advice, but thats all I could come up with.

P.S- There are fuel flow sensers out there that will show the flow and amount of fuel used.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
A dipstick will definitely work. I use a simple wooden dowel with marks carved into it for approximately full (measured by level), and half (cut in at half the full level). For a long time I used a Sharpie to mark the levels, but gasoline dissolves the ink!

I recently replaced my fuel tank and the new one has a standard fuel level float mounted on it. Those floats are standard but use a very strange asymmetrical five-star hole mounting pattern, I guess so you can't misorient the float or any sealing washers. (I haven't hooked up the meter yet.)

If you're installing a float into an existing tank, you need to be a bit careful that the float doesn't bump into the tank's baffles as it moves up and down. I don't know how you can know with certainty where the baffles are until you cut into the tank. Frankly, between that little problem and the need to keep the shavings from the new hole out of the tank, I wouldn't bother. The dipstick method works fine as long as you pay attention.

LarryBud

LarryBud
Dipstick on E-35

No, not the skipper, the fuel guage! I've only had the boat a couple of months but it came with a dipstick. I check the level every few times we go out and fill up when I get below half, but at about 1.5 gallons an hour, that's not very often. My only issue is the grate on the floor of the cockpit covers the fuel cap. I'm thinking about cutting the grate around the cap so I don't have to lift the grate to check the fuel. I see no reason to add any other type of fuel guage - this works fine.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Marcus, IF you've got a nice straight shot to the bottom of the tank give the dipstick a go. I had one on an old powerboat and it worked like a charm. Mine was a piece of screen molding, but a hardwood dowel would be better(if you can find one long enough). Make sure you can "hit bottom" and then transfer markings from the tank below. Paint it flat black and the fuel line will be easier to see.

marcusn

Member II
Unfortunately, it's not at all a straight shot. From the cap, the fuel runs down a slightly twisted hose, until it finally falls into the tank.

The cap is on the port gunwhale, just fore of the rear pulpit, and aft of the spinnaker winch.

Anyone else have a shapen dipstick idea for this? I've been thinking of scuffing up a coat hanger, and painting it with flat black, then taking my time to carefully poke it down to get it into shape. Crazy?

mn

Walter Pearson

Member III
I wonder whether one of those propane tank level indicators might be used for this purpose. They must be a liquid crystal material that changes color with temperature and would show the difference between the thermal conductivity of the metal wall where there is vapor behind it or where there is liquid behind it.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/propane-tank-level-indicator.htm

You might want to create the thermal input with something other than pouring hot water on the strip, but maybe a 12 volt heat tape of some sort could be used. I have that same tank setup, so understand the problems with a dipstick. Fortunately, my tank has an indicator installed.