Fuel tank for 28+

bwindrope

Member I
I am just beginning the shopping process for a new fuel tank for my 28+ and have come across a curious problem. My current tank, which is original, is mounted on the starboard side and is therefore shaped to fit the side of the boat. Also therefore, all the input and output devices are mounted on the TOP of the tank. It is wedge shaped; narrower as it goes to starboard, and thicker as it gains room going down toward the keel.

My problem is, despite copious searching, I cannot find a Tempo fuel tank that is this shape that has its openings on the TOP! There are lots of tanks of the right shape, but they all have their openings on the SIDE.

So I need help. Either these tanks are meant to operate with their fittings on the side, which seems unlikely, or I am on a wild goose chase for a pre-made plastic tank that has fittings on top.

Help??

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I think you can buy kits to relocate tank fittings. I know you can with holding tanks, but not sure if fuel tanks are different?

Glyn Judson

Dear Brian, Contact Cliff at Berry Sheet Metal in Costa Mesa CA at 949.548.3613. They were the original makers of our tanks and most likely still have the patterns for yours. Glyn

bwindrope

Member I
I was hoping someone would tell me I was ignorant or crazy and that the tank with the side openings would work just fine because of some reason unknown to me. If I really have to have a tank with the openings on top, I cannot understand why Tempo wouldn't make one, as it seems any low profile tank on one side or the other of a boat would be shaped like mine and therefore need access from the top...Any Tempo or plastic fuel tank experts out there?

Thanks for the manufacturere info. I suppose this would be helpful in two regards: One, to simply know the dimensions for purchasing an after market tank and Two, in case I decided to ask them to fabricate a new aluminum tank for me. Hoping to avoid aluminum for now, but the best laid plans of mice and men...