Fuel tank Inspection Port Design and Installation

erikwfab

Member II
Call me the crazy owner of a 40 year old sailboat, but dealing with fuel problems really messes with my sailing.
There is no substitute for clean fuel and tankage. Replacing a tank may be an option for some but for me it seemed a waste, and a heck uv a lot of work. Reading all the possible solutions here I can say that the added expense of a quality fuel tank port was worth every penny. I now have a dependable clean tank with no leaks and the ports install easily with a decent jig saw and drill. We're good fuel wise for another 40 here, and on to the next project.
My $.02 worth

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 63

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Turns out the tank is 1/8 aluminum, which should give plenty of grip for 10-32 threads.

I cut one hole today, which revealed that the two baffles on my tank are triangular and stop about five inches above the (angled) floor of the tank. There is room to reach under, meaning that even with one inspection port a fairly complete cleaning could be accomplished with a mop on a stick.

But three ports is better, so I'll stick with that plan.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 280
  • E38 fuel tank low corner.jpg
    E38 fuel tank low corner.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Three holes now and starting to clean up with paper towels and Fantastic.

The sides of the tank are not bad, the ceiling has very little junk on it. But the floor is coated with gunk.

The fuel pickup descends to only 1/8th inch above the deepest part of the tank. Sludge surrounds it.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Three holes Ericson 38 fuel tank.jpg
    Three holes Ericson 38 fuel tank.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 316
  • residue ERicson 38 fuel tank.jpg
    residue ERicson 38 fuel tank.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 284

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
My fuel tank has a 1 5/8" filler hose neck, which is not a common size. The cheapest sources I have found want $17-18/foot. Fisheries Supply will sell me a 12 1/2 foot section for $108 which equates to less than $8/ft. Would anybody consider splitting the cost plus shipping with me? It may take a week or more to receive it. It is Trident 327 hose.

Navman

Member III
inspection port video

Christian,
Excellent video!! I am doing the same to my tank in 2 weeks. Will be doing the pre-fab next week. I hope to be able to knock it out in a weekend. In your opinion is it doable in a weekend? I too have long trips offshore planned and my tank has been a concern due to the fact that I had to change filters 4 times last year alone. I figure the cost of the filters is about equal to the material cost. Last season with the help of this forum I replaced my fuel pump and fuel lines, With a clean tank I should (hope) be in good shape.
Thanks for the video!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sure, a weekend will work if you have all the components in hand, and if you don;t have to remake the woodwork.

And if your baffles are like mine, you could also get away with only one port in the middle, if willing to swab with a stick. A light could be inserted through the fuel gauge sender hole.

Wouldn't be a perfect cleaning, but maybe close enough.