• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gear Shifter sticky on 1986 38-200

FrankZ

Member I
The gear shifter on my 1986 38-200 is really hard to shift. So hard, it's dangerous in mooring/anchoring situations. The boat's got a new transmission, and I already disconnected the cable and hand-shifted the transmission rod, which shifts easily and smoothly. I've also removed the compass and looked at the cable connects in the binnacle, no trouble there. So I suspect the cable is crimped or just plain sticky in its housing. I don't know how to get access to it. Do I go at it through the starborad cockpit locker? Does anyone have suggestions on how best to inspect/repair and replace the cable?

Thanks in advance,

Frank Z.

Tom Plummer

Member III
Was the cable hard to shift with the old transmission?

If it was did the problem happen all of a sudden, over time or did it manifest itself after a period of disuse? A sudden problem generally means a kink and usually requires an R & R of the cable assembly. Over time or after a long period of disuse problems can usually be fixed with lubrication. I use a motorcycle throttle/clutch cable lube kit to lubricate mine because you can lube the entire cable from either end of the cable. The kit has a variety of fitting one of which should fit your cable and a pressurized can of cable lube. Because it is pressurized you can lube up or down hill.

If the problem occurred when you changed the trans out then you may have a crushed cable assembly.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Got this email a few months ago from another E 38 owner. You may want to check this out and read the old posts. Access to bottom of pedestal is via a panel in the back of the aft cabin. 4 screws hold a panel up to the underside of the cockpit floor.

Ted,

There is something that I meant to mention about Ericson 38s that you
might want to check on your new boat. I had the engine gear control
cable snap on me, and traced the problem to the factory running the Morse
cable through a 3" bend at the base of the binnacle, not the required
8" minimum bend radius. You can see the results of my work by searching
the Forum for a thread titled "Improved control cable run".

If the factory installed yours like mine, then you might want to
consider replacing the control cables and improving the run. Mine snapped
just as I was anchoring, and I was OK, but two minutes earlier would have
put my boat on the rocks before I could have got an anchor down.

Regards,

Steve Christensen

dwigle

Member III
Yacht specialities possibilities

The shift lever on my E-38 was stiff as you describe. I too worried about the cable, but first tried removing the lever. Corrision or salt had caused too much friction and a thorough cleaning solved everything. Again, this was on a YS system and may not apply to an Edson.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E-38 #8