Harken ESP unit 1 or Harken MarkIV Unit 1?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
MkIV Unit 1 on sale for $2900+/-. ESP $1800 with leg kit. Cruise only. Rigger charges $1000+/- for install w/new forestay. I have the original 1985 Harken Mk1 which is starting to have problems and no parts available. Suggestions??

Baslin

Member III
I just replaced our furler and standing rigging last year. We chose the Schaefer Furler. We love it. I would go with Schaefer over Harken

mordust

Member II
Look at us.binnacle.com. for some SERIOUSLY cheaper prices. A Canadian company. This is their US link. Make sure you are looking at the US pricing. I was checking around for the ESP unit1. $1119 + leg unit, another $269. Mark IV unit 1 $1944 without toggle. I MUST be missing something, right?
I called a couple of weeks back, shipping would be about $25 if I remember correctly.
I bought one of the last Origo 3000 cooktops from them a couple of years ago. They were a pleasure to deal with.
Bob
BTW. What's a L/E Pilot

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I second the binnacle site. I purchased some harken 28ST winches a few years ago from Binnacle. They were great. I'm getting close to placing an order for a mkiv unit 1 as well. I Just need to get up the mast to take some measurements so I can figure out what togle configuration i need.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Look at us.binnacle.com. for some SERIOUSLY cheaper prices. A Canadian company. This is their US link. Make sure you are looking at the US pricing. I was checking around for the ESP unit1. $1119 + leg unit, another $269. Mark IV unit 1 $1944 without toggle. I MUST be missing something, right?
I called a couple of weeks back, shipping would be about $25 if I remember correctly.
I bought one of the last Origo 3000 cooktops from them a couple of years ago. They were a pleasure to deal with.
Bob
BTW. What's a L/E Pilot
I checked and their prices are better than other suppliers sale prices...THANK YOU!

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Are you planning on using the link plates to get the drum off the deck or are you using a standard toggle?

mordust

Member II
I checked and their prices are better than other suppliers sale prices...THANK YOU!
Glad to help. I might pull the trigger soon, like you still deciding between the Mark IV or ESP.

Still curious about the L/E part of pilot. I've been a pilot (corporate mostly) all my life and can't figure it out..
Oh. Yeah. I just retired as of midnight last night!

Slick470

Member III
We bought a mkiv through binnacle a few years ago. They have had better pricing on the Harken furlers for a while now. The mkiv is a better product and worth the added price in my opinion.