Headliner Zipper Pulls- any plastic pull sources?

PNW Jeff

Member I
I've got an Olson 34, built in 1990. A couple of the zipper pulls for the headliner are corroded/missing. I'd like to replace all of them with plastic pulls- ideally YKK. The zipper teeth are in great shape. I've searched Amazon and gone to fabric stores. I haven't found a source for plastic high quality replacement pulls. I'd rather not buy a bunch of zippers and chuck the zipper teeth.

Has anybody found a source for high quality plastic zipper pulls?

Slick470

Member III
I'm not sure that plastic pulls will work with the style of zippers that are installed on our boats. I went through ours recently and replaced all the pulls with new metal ones. I figure the original ones lasted 20+ years so hopefully the new ones will last that long too. They were fiddly to install, but not to bad. There are a few threads on here on how to do it where you trim off a few teeth, wiggle in the new pull and then stitch up the spot where you trimmed off the teeth. I found that to be a major pain and ended up taking off the trim at one end of the zipper to expose zipper ends, sliding on the new pull, and then replacing the trim. I still need to replace the bungs over the trim screws, but I need to re-do the interior trim anyway.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Did you find the master thread on zipper pull repair?

I haven't purchased, but I think there are some links in that thread. Sailrite appears to only carry metal pulls for the coil zippers.

Last edited:

Slick470

Member III

I haven't purchased, but I think there are some links in that thread. Sailrite appears to only carry metal pulls for the coil zippers.
I bought the replacement pulls I used from Sailrite. They only had them in white instead of the tan/cream or whatever the factory used, but now that they are installed and they work, I don't notice that they are white.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found new ones for ours at a local large fabric store. About fifty cents each. They are painted metal.

dcoyle

Member III
I did a search on YKK zippers and found an online source with correct size and color. Will see if I can find the source again.

PNW Jeff

Member I
I bought the replacement pulls I used from Sailrite. They only had them in white instead of the tan/cream or whatever the factory used, but now that they are installed and they work, I don't notice that they

I used the link you provided- found the vendor and bought 20 YKK #5 zipper. With shipping it was under $8. Thanks!