Height Clearance Ericson 380-200

Albert Murphy

I am transporting a 1989 Ericson 380-200 by truck from Marina Del Ray to Vancouver, Canada. Having trouble with determining exact height of boat. Deep keel model, 6' 6" draft. Including the bow and stern pulpits, I am estimating a total height of 13.5' to the top of the pulpit. This is very close to the max clearence for highway travel. Thanks for any help.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmm.....
Maybe you could drop a cord with a weight from each pulpit and measure the length to the water. Then add 6 and 1/2 feet?
FWIW, it would not be the first time that one or both pulpits had to be removed for truck transit. Those overpass clearances on the Interstate are not "negotiable."
:(
I just checked the total height restrictions on the ODOT (Oregon) website -- it is stated to be 14 feet.

Our O-34 had no freeway overhead clearance problems, with a draft of 6 feet, FWIW.
I presume that we have a little less freeboard and total cabin height, though.

Good luck,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Steering Pedestal?

Albert,

Are you accounting for the steering pedestal and the tripod (hatch guard?) in front of the mast also? They appear to be higher than the pulpits in the brochure of the E380. A very good picture at the end of the brochure, taken at about lifeline height.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/specs_and_docs/frameset.htm

I did some math on a picture of mine - out of the water a month ago - but no good for what you need. I have a very early boat, so you couldn't really trust a measurement off it. Make sure someone is standing on the bow to counter your weight at the stern when you dangle that string. Might get you close enough. :D

If you get up here around mid-June come on over to the Ericson Rendezvous at Port Townsend, WA, June 17-19. With or without the boat you'll have a good time. It's at the Point Hudson Marina. The details are in the Ericsons Northwest Forum.

Good luck getting her up here.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Drop all the tall stuff

I used to drive trucks for a living. Without doing a very specific recon of the route, I think it would be much easier to drop the pulpits and the pedastal and FOR SURE the winches! Much easier than to have stuff damaged. I'm assuming you aren't driving. Don't trust your driver to worry about this stuff, it's really up to you.
Check out the link to the guy whose driver hit a low branch on a tree with his new Ben. 36.7 race boat on www.sailinganarchy.com. Not pretty at all. Crash Pics
Also, are there any tunnels or low bridges on the route? Are you sure? 13'6" is a standard, but there a lots of exceptions to that rule, even on interstates.
Not a sermon (even though it sounds like one), just a thought.
Chris

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I could not agree more with Chris here. My buddy built a Mount Gay 30 that we raced mostly on the Chesapeake but did Key West and Newport a few years. He drew 6'8" and sat very close to max height on the road. We pulled the pulpits and life lines because they would often catch small tree limbs and leave all sorts of crap on the boat. He did have a problem the first year with a power line not being to code in his neighborhood. It snagged a cabin top winch and made one hell of a mess. Worst part was BG&E (power company) tried to charge him to fix the line. He went through all sorts of hell dealing with them until he finally proved that their line was not as high as it should have been. Never did get them to pay for his winch though. The issue here is probably not highway overpasses but cable TV lines, phone lines and low lying branches. Depending on the age of your boat this could be a good excuse to re-bed those fittings anyway...

Seth

Sustaining Partner
shipping by truck

You might try checking with some of the companies who have shipped Ericsons-I know "Joule" and also a company called "Yacht Transport" (pretty sure about this one-90%) delivered lots of 38's. If you are near any boat dealer who used to carry Ericson or PS, they could tell you who they used. The truckers might have info on file from thes old trips.

Good luck!

e38 owner

Member III
height clearance

I have transported by 38 many times in the west including Southern California. Here is what I use

1. My keel is 18 " from the ground

2. I travel with the mast under the bow pulpit and on top of the stearn pulpit. Most commercial haulers place the mast on the side. The height then would be less by the thickest part of the mast.

3. Absent the mast be sure and remove the dorades on the cabin top and the pulpit protecting them. Also remove the wheel. Depending on the angle of the boat on the trailer the high spots can be the bow pulpit, steering wheel, main traveler, cabin top winches,or the stern pulpit.

4. The height of my boat then is a little under :eek: 15'3". :eek: When I get a permit that is the height I use.

Last edited: