Help Please - Bilge Pump recommendation for 30+

dandimm

Member II
Hello All -

Help please - I need recommendations on a replacement bilge pump for the 30+. The original one when I bought the boat was a Maine Mariner Equipment MME 1300 pump mounted in the back starboard side of the board.

I have since replaced it (twice) with a SEAFLO Self-Priming Impeller Bilge Pump - 12V, 8GPM - SFSP1-080-003-01 Model Self-Priming Impeller Bilge Pump. Both have failed, first one I think because I had the wrong size fuse and the second one due to some diesel in the bilge, clogging the screen up and I suspect the diesel may have damaged it.

Should I be using diaphragm or impeller pumps???

I have a third one of these pumps in hand, but I am hesitant to install it and have another one fail. I like the setup of having one pump and multiple valves for the bilge, shower, and icebox so I definitely want to replace the starboard pump.

Please let me know what has worked for you.

Thanks!!!!
Daniel

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I just picked up the Rule 800 GPH bilge pump from West Marine

The original was not working.
Note: After installing the new purchase I tested it and it also did not work. careful inspection of the switch and wiring I found the battery connector had corroded and broken off. I could have saved myself $110.

But now I have a backup bilge pump.

dandimm

Member II

Note: After installing the new purchase I tested it and it also did not work. careful inspection of the switch and wiring I found the battery connector had corroded and broken off. I could have saved myself $110.

Thanks - I am looking to just replace the pump. I dont have any wiring in the bilge for that type and enough room for it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Should I be using diaphragm or impeller pumps???
Since you asked, yes to the diaphragm ($$) pump, and no to the ($) centrifugal pumps. The right pump does cost more but in three decades I have found that it is far more reliable than the cheaper centrifugal ones.

dandimm

Member II
Since you asked, yes to the diaphragm ($$) pump, and no to the ($) centrifugal pumps. The right pump does cost more but in three decades I have found that it is far more reliable than the cheaper centrifugal ones.
Thanks - Which pump do you have or recommend???

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You can install a Jabsco diaphragm pump, which has the benefit of not needing to be in the bilge, if things are tight there. Not cheap as the usual Rules, which need to be replaced periodically and in my experience are unpredictable.

Jabsco 3720 Light Duty diaphragm pump, now about $250. A float switch or Water Witch also required, and probably a three-way switch. More (waaay more) here.

(typed simultaneously with Loren)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Here's one one of the more exhaustive bilge pumps posts from earlier this year: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/factory-original-bilge-pumps-in-32-3.20451/

Centrifugal vs diaphragm? Both have their trade-offs. Depends on what your priorities are and how well you know the bilge plumbing in your boat. Centrifugals just won't work with some pluming setups; they are considerably more efficient in those setups that work, but they typically leave annoying backflow after they shut off.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Thanks - I am looking to just replace the pump.
Jabsco and Whale both have diaphragm bilge pumps that should fit your need for remote installation. Diaphragm pumps are self-priming, can run dry for extended periods, and can handle debris within limits without damage, but a strainer might be good insurance. If diesel fuel is a concern, check for the type of rubber used for the diaphragm and check valves.

dandimm

Member II
I found a picture my old bilge pump when I first purchased the boat 4 years ago. Must be a dinosaur because googling it comes back with nothing.
unnamed (1).jpg

Since it looked like an impeller pump, I replaced it with the seaflo, only to have it fail twice. It sounds like the consensus on responses and the forum is to replace with a diaphragm pump.

I may be getting a "free" replacement from SeaFlo. If that is the case, I am thinking just to use it and expect it to fail again in a year or two...

unnamed.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dunno if there's a forum consensus on diaphragm pumps. Many folks have submersibles and find them adequate to the job and simple to wire. Diaphragm is better I think, but in the end it's one of those weigh-the-benefits things.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member

I use this pump in my bilge . It still works after 2 years , but my main issue ( and I think it will be an issue with any submersible pump) is that it will airlock if it is not primed ( ex: if the output hose is completely dry but the bilge is filled up with water, the pump will go on but not prime or move water ) . Some people have had good luck with them . Replacing with a diaphragm pump outside the bilge is in my list of projects. When I remove my fuel tank , I’m going to see if there is room for it in the main birth .

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Since it looked like an impeller pump, I replaced it with the seaflo, only to have it fail twice. It sounds like the consensus on responses and the forum is to replace with a diaphragm pump.

I may be getting a "free" replacement from SeaFlo. If that is the case, I am thinking just to use it and expect it to fail again in a year or two...

View attachment 47961
I just installed two of these (on for main bilge and one for shower sump, https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/bilge-hose-replacement-battle.20284/page-2#post-164905). So far so good, but I don't have much time on them. How did your pumps fail?

dandimm

Member II
I just installed two of these (on for main bilge and one for shower sump, https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/bilge-hose-replacement-battle.20284/page-2#post-164905). So far so good, but I don't have much time on them. How did your pumps fail?
The first one failed because I think I had the wrong fuse size. I used the original fuse that was 20A. After it failed, I re-read the specs and it called for a 15A fuse. The second one I suspect had something to do with diesel that leaked into my bilge. The pump would spin but not pump. I cleaned it, tried replacing the impeller and it still would not prime and pump.

I installed the new pump over the weekend and it's working again. I've gotten to the point where I can swap out a bilge pump faster than an Indy pit crew changing a tire :)