Holding Tank on E-35 II

chrism

Inactive Member
Has anyone on the board installed a holding tank onboard? Our Raritan PH-1 crapped the bed last season. Seeing that it's the origninal toilet for the boat, 32 years of service aint bad.

We've made a decision to get an electric Raritan PH-2E. I've been looking at those Lectrasan units, and they look like a good idea. The only thing is, our holding tank is a whopping 2.5 gallons. I believe it's just there to conform with the regulations. The previous owner had the boat set up very interestingly, with the waste going over the side, but it was made to look like it was going into the tank... AND the watertanks are all labeled "WASTE"... interesting system indeed.

Before I ask my question, I DO NOT want to receive anything about how it's illegal to dump over the side. I am aware of this, and the problem WILL be corrected before we splash in May.

Has anyone installed a tank onboard? Does anyone have any experience with the LectraSan unit?

Thanks,

Chris

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My boat had on original 9 Gallon tank just aft of the main bulkhead, under the seat for the dining room table.
I replaced it with the same size from the same manufacturer, via West Marine special order, a few years ago. I can not now remember the name of the company, but I can look tomorrow.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

chrism

Inactive Member
9 Gallons doesn't seem like a lot... But it might work. How long does it last?

If you could look up the company, that would be great.

Thanks,

CM

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The tank was made by Kracor. Dimensions to the nearest inch:
11W X 17L X 10D.

9G has been workable, on my boat men normally go over the side, but longer between pump outs would be a bonus.
A larger tank could be installed in the same space, up to about 21 X 14 X 11 by my measurements, but I never found one. I also never found a custom at a price I was willing to pay, but if a group of us from the site wanted to band together, bigger would be better for me.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

admirals barge

Member III
kracor

gareth

do you still have the kracor system on the boat or did you convert to a more conventional system..i'm in the process of converting the kracor system to conventional system.

74 35II #325

greg

clayton

Member III
Holding Tank

Check out www.ronco-plastics.com, they have a large selection of marine holding tanks. Theirs was original equipment on our '89, approximately 15 gallon capacity, and I've taken it out and cleaned it, let it sit in the sun and fresh air, and no odor issues for a 15 year old tank. You can get them with inspection/cleanout ports in the top of the tank. 15 gallon capacity lasts 2 of us 4-5 days on a cruise. I keep the tank pumped out to prevent solids buildup on the bottom of the tank. As you know, use good, smooth-walled hose rated for sanitary use. Good luck.

Clayton

P.S. - Sean posted great photos and step by step commentary on rehabbing the head on his 35-3 in the Owner's Projects section. Don't know where the holding tank was spec'd for on your 35-2, but might give you some ideas.

Last edited:

valentor

Member II
Chris;

My E34 had a 9 gallon tank which was inadequate for my crew. I upgraded to a 16 gallon tank which was purchased at BoatUS. It is a standard rectanglular Todd Industries polyproylene tank which I was able to fit under the cockpit floor. It is held in place by two aluminum straps that I made from 1/8" x 1" stock, and rests on a piece of 1/2" plywood I glassed into the hull.

The boat had a rather unpleasant odor from the original hoses which led form the head through the cabin to the tank. I replaced these with 1.5" PVC and designed the flow so that the high point is just adjacent to the head. That allows gravity to help move the waste downhill to the tank. The PVC is attached to the tank and the head by short sections of approved marine waste hose which isolates these fixtures from the rigid tubing.

The system was very inexpensive, has worked great for four years and there is absolutely NO odor in the boat anymore.

Good luck with your project.

Steve

Burton Mohr

Member I
holding tank

I just completed the installation of a holding system on my 35-ll (1977), I installed a 13 gal holding tank cross ways in the vee area under the fwd.berth. put a plywood cover across the vee opening to hide the tank, put the hoses in the cabinet beside the head fwd.of the sink if you need pics or more details let me know.

chrism

Inactive Member
Burton, I'd love pics. I think I have a water tank up there though?? Boat is covered, and the shrink wrap guys didnt put a freaking door on...

chris

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Greg - the new tank was the same as the old one except there was one less hose fitting. The original had a 5/8"(I think) with a hose to a deck fitting half way up on one end, I always assumed for washing out, which was not on the new one, otherwise it was identical. Same thickness (which I am told is crucial for odour elimination), same size vent and hose connections.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

admirals barge

Member III
holding tank

gareth

your correct the fitting in the middle of the tank is for flushing. the hose goes to a deck fitting between the pump out and water fill fittings. have you converted to a conventional system or are you still using the retention system

greg

74 35II #325

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I am not quite sure what you mean by 'conventional' system. I have kept the same head, but added a new pump, kept the holding tank in the same place, added a macerator that works, vented loops to both the flush intake and macerator through hulls, and changed all the hosing.
It has all worked nicely, my only regret is not being able to find a bigger tank that would fit the space better.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

admirals barge

Member III
conventional system

gareth

the system i have on the boat recycles the liquid that's in the holding tank and its used to flush the toilet. its a kracor retention system. for obvious reasons i'm in the process of reconfiguring the system to use either fresh water or sea water to flush the toilet. the only problem is that i don't have a thru hull to draw sea water from. i was thinking of teeing off the sink drain but after reading threads that this configuration would draw air thru the sink unless you either fill the sink , use a stopper in the sink drain or put a shut off in the drain line. the other alternative im leaning to is flushing with fresh water.

greg
74 35II #325

u079721

Contributing Partner
Sink drain could work

Greg,

You might be able to use a T off the sink drain as a water source for your head, IF the drain is below the water line. I'm not sure how it is on your boat, but on mine the waterline was at least 6" above the seacock at the sink drain in the head. so you wouldn't have to close the seacock or fill the sink to get water to the head. I'm not sure whether the drain was still below the waterline when the boat was heeled though. Anyway, something to consider.

Howard Keiper

I installed a Lectra-San many years ago. It was one of the best things I've done for Sea Quest ever. The Lectra-San treats waste in 2 gal (approx) increments. Almost always the waste is liquid. Each time I use the head, I pump a few times, more to gather fresh saltwater on which the electro- chemical reaction depends, than to purge the tank. I actually turn on the treatment when I start the engine on the way in. There is no odor whatsoever after a treatment or two.
Solid waste, if it's absolutely necessary, gets treated right away, though.
The installation is really neat...there is no evidence that it's there. It goes behind the bulkhead under the port bow-berth and uses already installed plumbing. I've got pix if anyone is interested

Howard Keiper
Sea Quest #174
Berkeley

chrism

Inactive Member
I'd like a picture!

I think that this might be a plan, or THE plan (who knows)

-New PHEII Electric head by Raritan
-Used LectraSan System via eBay
-A Raritan Holding Tank that fits around the PHEII

Any problems with that setup?

Chris

Howard Keiper

Lectra San pics

Hi Chris...

Got a few for you. How to send?? They're not big files, send me your e-mail or I'll try to send them here.

hk

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Greg - my system is not like that at all. Flushing with recycled sewage seems a bit odd, I guess it is chemically treated to eliminate odour?
I would look into putting a T valve on the sink drain, which on my boat at least is below the water line unless you are really heeled, failing that, adding a through hull would be justified.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I Like the Tee Arrangement

admirals barge said:
gareth

...I was thinking of teeing off the sink drain but after reading threads that this configuration would draw air thru the sink unless you either fill the sink , use a stopper in the sink drain or put a shut off in the drain line. the other alternative im leaning to is flushing with fresh water...

greg
74 35II #325

I had the tee configuration off the sink drain - worked very well. The only issue was the 'sucking sound' that would sometimes come out of the drain - but only if if someone was really 'enthusiastic' about their pumping - an issue easily solved by leaving the rubber stopper in the sink

The benefit of blowing out the entire system with fresh water with that configuration - from one end to the other - with a single (or two) sink full of water was worth the sound issues, I felt.

//sse