Holding Tank Source

Maine Sail

Member III
Hi All,

Re-plumbing an Ericson 32-2 from about 1987 or so. This is not the 32-200 just the regular Ericson 32. The holding tank is out and I am in the process of cleaning it but I suspect that it could be odor permeated. While this would be extremely rare anything is possible I suppose. This is a black tank that appears to be rotomolded and sits in the port side of the v-berth against the head bulkhead. I'll know in a few days if it is odor permeated.

Who made these tanks and are they still available?? I'd like to at least give my customer some options. His boat was a STINKER and we want that gone...:egrin:

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Probably a Ronco...

The original roto-molded holding tank in our '88 boat was a Ronco, with their model # molded into the side.
I would suspect that the tank you are looking at is one of theirs, but if so there would be a logo and model # on it. :confused:

Also, those black plastic tanks are normally considered to be impervious to odor passage. The old hoses, however, will permeate. The stock Whale pump for emptying the tank overboard also can allow odor to get thru the diaphram readily.

There's not much room to work on the plumbing inside the head counter on an E-32-3; hope you have some muscular little elves to work inside there!
:rolleyes:

Loren

Maine Sail

Member III
The original roto-molded holding tank in our '88 boat was a Ronco, with their model # molded into the side.
I would suspect that the tank you are looking at is one of theirs, but if so there would be a logo and model # on it. :confused:

Also, those black plastic tanks are normally considered to be impervious to odor passage. The old hoses, however, will permeate. The stock Whale pump for emptying the tank overboard also can allow odor to get thru the diaphram readily.

There's not much room to work on the plumbing inside the head counter on an E-32-3; hope you have some muscular little elves to work inside there!
:rolleyes:

Loren

I believe it is a Ronco, looks like one, but it does not have the Ronco model# like most do therefore it makes it hard to order a new one or really know its origin. I will examine it more closely for a model # tomorrow.. I currently have plugs in the tank, both drains are plugged as are the fill and the vent. I have washed the exterior four times, including a 50/50 bleach water wash, and sprayed it with Pure Ayre. It still smells, even when fully plugged.......:0 My barn is not pleasant smelling right now...

This boat was converted to a macerator so no pump diaphragm to smell. As for space, while tight, this boat is a dream compared to many of Sabres. The worst part was getting the old pump out hose removed, it took an hour and a half. The holes are so tight that the hose barely fit though and any angle bound it up. It was 1/4" at a time...

My biggest peeve is the use of PVC fittings below water. The owner had a leak that was not easily identified and I discovered today it was one of the PVC fittings that was cracked. Sourcing what I'll need in zytel could prove difficult..

PVC ARGHHHHHHHH....

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Doing away with the stinker with the least effort.

Loren is right, Ronco http://www.ronco-plastics.com/newRonco/images/2012MARINE.pdf did make our tanks and the model number should be on the top of the old one. Of course, instructions would have to be sent them as to the placement of fittings but beside that, they can make a handsome tank for your client in no time flat. Now the really effective way of ridding the tank, hoses, macerator and toilet of all odor is to simply use Odorlos head treatment according to their simple directions. Within 24 hours or less a noticeable difference can be detected and with continued use, all odor will vanish even that in the permeated hoses. By all means do consider doing the simplest (and most affordable in time and money) first and then if not convinced, you will be, then begin tearing out the old system one part at a time but I'm telling you, that's totally unnecessary if only Odorlos is given a chance. The stuff is dirt cheap and available at West Marine and probably most independent chandlers. For example, a 68 ounce measuring bottle of it at West Marine is only $24.99 and that's 68 weeks of chemical for treatment of a 10 gallon tank. Ours is 13 gallons and the 1 once per is more than adequate. The crystals are even more affordable. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Maine Sail

Member III
Loren is right, Ronco http://www.ronco-plastics.com/newRonco/images/2012MARINE.pdf did make our tanks and the model number should be on the top of the old one. Of course, instructions would have to be sent them as to the placement of fittings but beside that, they can make a handsome tank for your client in no time flat. Now the really effective way of ridding the tank, hoses, macerator and toilet of all odor is to simply use Odorlos head treatment according to their simple directions. Within 24 hours or less a noticeable difference can be detected and with continued use, all odor will vanish even that in the permeated hoses. By all means do consider doing the simplest (and most affordable in time and money) first and then if not convinced, you will be, then begin tearing out the old system one part at a time but I'm telling you, that's totally unnecessary if only Odorlos is given a chance. The stuff is dirt cheap and available at West Marine and probably most independent chandlers. For example, a 68 ounce measuring bottle of it at West Marine is only $24.99 and that's 68 weeks of chemical for treatment of a 10 gallon tank. Ours is 13 gallons and the 1 once per is more than adequate. The crystals are even more affordable. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Glyn,

I use Odorlos on our boat, religiously, and it's a great product but it is not a 100% solution especially in our colder off seasons. It also need plenty of air which means a good vent system which many boats just do not have, ours is 3/4" and I'd love it to be 1" but that's just not going to happen.. This boat will be upgraded from a 1/2" vent line to 3/4" if it will fit, otherwise 5/8".

I also have many of my customers that use it but I have never seen it reverse odor permeation. Peggy Hall claims that can't happen..? Interesting that you have seen it happen and I will stay on the lookout for that.

One of my customers switched to it two years before I replaced their sanitation hose. It still needed to be replaced. I don't think it got any better but also don't think got got any worse. Our boat is due for hose replacement and we've been using Odorlos for 5 years. I suspect it may work better in warmer environments & boats with good tank venting system..?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Contact Ronco - They have the info...

Just call Ronco or send them a note. They have specs for all of the Ericson models - and can tell you which take it is, and what options you have.

If they offer to put the elbows in for you - take it (as they'll use butyl rubber) - and have an inspection port put into it so you can hose it out (sounds unpleasant - do once a year and your boat won't stink). Or, just rip it out again in a couple of years and do it all over again...

//sse

Maine Sail

Member III
Update: The tank for the 32-2 (1987 vintage) is a Ronco B173. The model # is located on the starboard side of the tank opposite the tank fitting side.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Call them and it first thing 1/3/12. I bought mine a couple of years ago and I got a huge discount for being the first order of the new year.

Maine Sail

Member III
Call them and it first thing 1/3/12. I bought mine a couple of years ago and I got a huge discount for being the first order of the new year.

I plan to. The tank has been cleaned multiple times, with every potent cleaner known to man including bleach, Acetone, Spray Nine, 3M Sharp Shooter on and on and on, I even scrubbed it with Magic Erasers, two boxes of them, treated with an entire bottle of Pure Ayre over the last four or five days and yet it still STINKS! The tank is 100% plugged and the odor is coming from the exterior surfaces. I simply can't put it back into the boat like this.. I spoke with Ronco before the holidays, and despite the crazy shipping cost, they can make the tank with whatever fitting configuration I want..

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I guess the people who decided that formula 409 was powerful enough and formula 410 was overkill never needed to get the stink out of their holding tank!:rolleyes:

Dave N

Member III
Make your own...

Good old boat has a well detailed article in the current issue by a guy that made one from scratch for his pearson 28.....seems a "simple enough" project. Consider too that it may be the hoses that are the source of that un-desireable fragrance.

Last edited:

Maine Sail

Member III
Good old boat has a well detailed article in the current issue by a guy that made one from scratch for his pearson 28.....seems a "simple enough" project. Consider too that it may be the hoses that are the source of that un-desireable fragrance.

Considering the replacement tank is not that expensive, in terms of boat units, and my customer is paying by the hour, buying one from Ronco, out of the proper materials, will cost him far less than making one.

The hoses stunk for sure but they are in a dumpster 9 miles away and the tank STILL stinks to high heaven and is no longer in my barn due to it's non-removable/cleanable stench......

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Permeation Woes

In spite of it's being an "article of faith" with most of us that rotomolded tanks do not permeate... this example sounds like it did precisely that! Ick...
All the more interesting because when I removed our old Ronco holding tank and thoroughly cleaned it, it had no smell from the inside and the outside never had an odor. Most of the old '88 hose runs, however, had indeed permeated.
Just goes to show that when it comes to a given manufacturing process, there's an exception to every assumed "rule."

FWIW, I did check all of the old hose sections with a hot/wet wrung-out rag, rubbed on their surfaces. Got a tell-tale odor from all those test rags. :rolleyes:
That same test also confirmed the diesel permeation of the original fill hose when I was upgrading the whole fuel system.

Ain't boat work FUN!

:esad:

Another thought from my Random Thought Generator: since rotomolded tanks are made from pellets precisely heated and spread around a rotating metal mold... what if, once in a while and in spite of all their QC efforts, the temp is just smidge low and there are some areas in the walls or corners where minuscule spaces between the molecules can allow passage of odor?

LB

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

The quality of Ronco tanks.

All, It might be of interest to anyone about to replace their holding tank to know that since Ronco made them for Ericson, they have doubled the wall thickness of the tanks you'll get today, making their foot print the same but if nothing else, a bit sturdier. By all means, do consider asking that an inspection plate be fitted in the top. Although probably not used very often if at all (I have used it once in the nine years since getting our new tank), having one there would allow one to use a garden hose to get in and scour the tank if it were thought necessary. Happy New Year to everyone, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA