How to carry a small row boat

rhbj03

Member I
I have been practice sailing in relative calm waters around my house and all is fine. I'm now planning to take my boat out for the first time to the San Francisco Bay, where the waves could get bigger (2-3 feet when breezy and higher if windy). I saw some boats carry a small row boat on board and I want to do that too if that'll provide more protection.

My question is, what's the best way to carry a row boat? Most people just put them on the deck, but that is somewhat obstructing. Some larger sailboats have racks for row boats but my boat is not that large.

I'm wondering if it is possible to get a rope and tow the row boat on the side or behind? If this is a viable option, what is the best way and what do I need to look out for? Thanks.

Robert

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So You're Gettin' a Little "Dinghy", Eh?

I once went on a two week vacation towing an 11 foot rowing dinghy, with my old Niagara 26.
It cost me about 1/2 kt in speed. There is one notoriously rough area in the lower Columbia River with afternoon 3 foot square chop. The dinghy was on a long painter and stayed bone dry inside while we got the deck and cockpit (and me) washed off quite well...
I should note that the dinghy was a round chine Ray Richards-designed R-11. A flat bottom row boat might be a "whole 'nother matter"...
:)
We could not carry it on the foredeck, so that was never an option. Biggest hurdle was getting in and out of the occasional marina slip. We never got the tow line in the prop, but had to tend to it all the time when in tight quarters.
Since the late 80's we have been using a roll-up Zodiac. It rows like a dog, but stows in the lazarette. "Everything's a compromise," as a friend and fellow Ericson owner observes.
:rolleyes:
Strictly in the FWIW dept, we have middle-aged friends that are very happy with their plastic kayak they tow or sometimes carry on one side of their foredeck. It is a wide model with quite good stability, for a kayak....

Best,
Loren in PDX
:egrin: