• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull ID Number interpretation

JPS27

Member III
With my boat on the hard and working on the rudder area quite a bit I've had time to stare at my boat's HIN. In (re)looking up how to decipher the characters I noticed that on some sites they list a letter-month code, but in other places people mention for example B=February, which conflicts. So two questions:

Does ERY27126M77J-1 mean: Ericson 27, Hull was the 126 E27 made, Manufactured (M) in May (J) of 1977. And what does the "-1" mean?

Also, I have another number in the head up against the bulkhead. What is this number? The last 4 digits and numbers are N, something hidden by my emergency tiller, T, -8. here's a pic of the first sequence of numbers.

Thanks, Jay
attachment.php

Attachments

• mystery number.jpg
    mystery number.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 820

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The number in the pic is the USCG document #. This means that the boat was at one time registered ("Documented") with the Coast Guard. Normally, it would also have the boat's net tonnage. For example NT 7.5.

The HIN info comes from http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

For boats built or manufactured from November, 1972 until July 31, 1984, the HIN format may look like:
HIN_Format1_Decoded.png

• Manufacturer Identification Code (MIC)
  • Hull or Serial Number
  • Certification Date (2 digit month, followed by 2 digit year)
Alternatively, some manufacturers used the following format:
HIN_Format2_Decoded.png

• Hull or Serial Number
  • Model year("M") followed by a two digit year, followed by a single letter for the manufacture month. Please note that the "Model Year" changeover was assumed to have happened in August with this format, so its possible the boat was built before its model year. The month codes are as follows:
    A:AugE:DecI:Apr
    B:SepF:JanJ:May
    C:OctG:FebK:Jun
    D:NovH:MarL:Jul

<tbody>
    </tbody>
For boats built or manufactured August 1, 1984 or later:
HIN_Format3_Decoded.png

• Hull or Serial Number
  • Manufacture Date, where the second digit is the last digit of the year, and the first is a code for the month as below:
    A:JanE:MayI:Sep
    B:FebF:JunJ:Oct
    C:MarG:JulKNov
    D:AprH:AugL:Dec

<tbody>
    </tbody>
  • Model year

Last edited:

dt222

Member III
Puzzle

Jay, your ID# kind of puzzles me. My # is ER27788M75L- Ericson '27, hull 788, manufactured in July of 1975.

Don

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
E-27 HIN # Location

Jay where is your HIN number located on your E-27? Mine is dead center on the bottom of the transom.

Attachments

• Ericson 27 Hull Number.jpg
    Ericson 27 Hull Number.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 723

JPS27

Member III
HIN deciphering and location

Thanks to all for the input. I probably should have known that that was a CG number, but didn't, and now I do, so thanks. I appreciate Jeff looking it up and now I've gone back one more name in my boat's history. Current to oldest, that would be Southpaw, Mary Jane (MJ) which I changed immediately to not warrant any more CG attention than necessary, then Slo Ride, and now Stolen Moments.

My HIN is located up high on the starboard side of transom. The only thing I still can't figure out is why there is a "-1" at the end of my HIN. I initially thought it meant "first J month" as in January. :egrin:

Here's a pic:
Jay

HIN.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jay the "M" stands for Model Year.

According to the formula (For boats built or manufactured from November, 1972 until July 31, 1984) Tom posted my HIN is pretty easy to figure out.

ERY 27 355 M73 H

Ericson • 27 feet • Hull #355 • Model Year 1973 • Month H = March

But I am also baffled by Jay's HIN

ERY 27 126 M77 J – 1

Ericson • 27 feet • Hull #126 • Model Year 1977 • Month J = May

But I have no idea what the – 1 represents.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
HIN mystery

Just for fun, I sent this thread link over to a marine surveyor friend of mine, knowing that the ID of a hull is important for any survey.
I will append her response... informative, perceptive, and fun.
:)
Regards,
Loren
_____

Good morning, Loren,

I always love a mystery! In this case, I don’t have an answer. There is nothing to prevent a builder from adding digits before or after a hull number. I have seen many variations ovrer the years. I always document what I find and include a digital photo. If there is an explanation, I provide one, if there isn’t an explanation but it is irrelevant I say so, or if there isn’t an explanation and the HIN does not comply with federal requirements, I so state and recommend bringing the HIN into compliance. The method to bring into compliance can vary according to what is wrong with it so the procedure I recommend can vary greatly.

Boat building is still a cottage industry and compliance with the HIN format is a low priority when a builder is worried about cash flow, personnel turnover, material availability, advertising, boat shows, dealer recruitment, screwing over partners, etc. Add to that that the person applying the HIN may have little training and less concern.

The -1 could mean anything and nothing. If I were a builder and had one model 27’ but was going to introduce an updated 27, I might want to designate if the boat that is built will be a Mark I or a Mark KII. Or, it could be the untrained kid using the label maker got an atomic wedgie just as he was completing the label and his hand reflexively squeezed the trigger a few more times!

Grizz

Grizz
'Atomic Wedgie'

That particular affliction can explain a lot and cover an array of maladies with almost zero tolerance for contradiction. Thanks for sharing!

JPS27

Member III
Mystery of "-1"

Loren,
thanks for the investigation into the "-1". The reasoning sounds plausible and I can always think to myself that at one time my boat was an upgrade ;). Now, taking Friday off to work on the boat. The new shaft, new coupler, and new cutlass bearing are ready to go in starting tomorrow.

Jay

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Just for fun, I sent this thread link over to a marine surveyor friend of mine, knowing that the ID of a hull is important for any survey.
I will append her response... informative, perceptive, and fun.
:)
Regards,
Loren

Thanks Loren, that was indeed very "informative, perceptive, and fun". Actually HIN numbers seem to be more logical that the wide variety of VIN numbers on our autos. I know, let's not go there. :egrin:

wetjim

Member I
Hull Number

We are in the process of putting an offer in on a 36C. The number on the transom is ERY36XX3M76B. At first this confused us as the model years were from 1975 (Hull #1) to 1977 (Hull #66), and we found it hard to believe that there were only 2 manufactured in 1975. In addition, there was another person on this forum that was considering buying ERY36XX1M76B. So based on the information on manufacture date vs. model year, am I to assume this boat was actually manufactured in Feb. of 1975 even though it's model year is 1976? Were there any actual model year 1975 or were they just manufactured in 1975, but the model year was 1976?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
actually manufactured in Feb. of 1975 even though it's model year is 1976?

It's possible.

Makana's hull-number indicates 1985 model year.

But paperwork maintained by the chain of prior owners includes an "equipment checklist" (usually indicating delivery to a dealer) in July of 1984.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just to add some clarity or confusion, the HIN is supposedly applied to the mold in "real time". i.e. if the hull is molded out in November of 1977, it will show that in the HIN. Later, when it was finished out, and prepped for the winter boat show display and sold in January, it might well be titled as a 1978 vessel.
Several decades later, the mystery is hard to unscramble.
:rolleyes:

Loren

kapnkd

kapnkd
With my boat on the hard and working on the rudder area quite a bit I've had time to stare at my boat's HIN. In (re)looking up how to decipher the characters I noticed that on some sites they list a letter-month code, but in other places people mention for example B=February, which conflicts. So two questions:

Does ERY27126M77J-1 mean: Ericson 27, Hull was the 126 E27 made, Manufactured (M) in May (J) of 1977. And what does the "-1" mean?

Also, I have another number in the head up against the bulkhead. What is this number? The last 4 digits and numbers are N, something hidden by my emergency tiller, T, -8. here's a pic of the first sequence of numbers.

Thanks, Jay
attachment.php
That’s the one ! …THANKS!!!

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Jay the "M" stands for Model Year.

According to the formula (For boats built or manufactured from November, 1972 until July 31, 1984) Tom posted my HIN is pretty easy to figure out.

ERY 27 355 M73 H

Ericson • 27 feet • Hull #355 • Model Year 1973 • Month H = March

But I am also baffled by Jay's HIN

ERY 27 126 M77 J – 1

Ericson • 27 feet • Hull #126 • Model Year 1977 • Month J = May

But I have no idea what the – 1 represents.
The serial number encoding that Ericson used only has three digits for the hull number. The problem is that they made more than 999 E27 hulls, so they added -1 to indicate the "rollover". That makes Jay's E27 hull number 1126.

My previous boat was a '77 hull number 1058: ERY27058M77F-1

kapnkd

kapnkd
The serial number encoding that Ericson used only has three digits for the hull number. The problem is that they made more than 999 E27 hulls, so they added -1 to indicate the "rollover". That makes Jay's E27 hull number 1126.

My previous boat was a '77 hull number 1058: ERY27058M77F-1
Problem with the “J” is what about June or July??