Ideas for a Trash Can for E-38?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
This may be a little silly but what the heck its friday. I am looking for suggestions for a waste basket on the E-38-200. My old boat had a lot of room under the galley sink, this one does not. There is a little tilt out storage spot to the left of the stove but again not very large. I was thinking of using a plastic kitchen sized trash can and setting it on the cabin sole just to starboard of the sink. I would use some shock cord to keep it in place. Have not yet checked to see if it would block traffic too much through the cabin though. I also want to build something to secure trash bag/s in the aft lazarette. I thought of putting something back there to make sure no gear gets in the steerage. So lets hear it folks what do you all use? I know there are some out there who have done some extended cruising on their 38's and have had to do something with the trash.

Thanks

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
That's one of the summer projects

Hi Ted,
I'm going to remove the drawers and the tilt out beside the stove and cut the dividers away and make it a big opening for a narrow trash can. Then I'm going to cut out in the counter and put in a "plug". I'll let you know when it's done.
Chris

PS. Spinnaker practice this weekend :eek:

u079721

Contributing Partner
What we did for trash

We spent over 300 nights at anchor cruising aboard our 38, and here's what we settled upon for our routine.

First, as for that tilt out bin - it's useless. BUT, if you remove the box from the back of the tilt out bin and leave just the door in place, it opens up a really large storage area aft of the stove that was great for food stuffs.

For daily trash we thought about hangin a bag to starboard of the sink, but it was seriously in the way. Instead we purchased cinch top Hefty bags (13 gallon size) and fastened the top cinch loops to the safety bar in front of the stove using velcro loops, and kept it slid aft of the stove. By the end of a day cruising the bag would be full enough to be in the way when getting into the aft cabin, but we always changed it for a new bag just after dinner clean up. This wasn't the perfect solution, but it worked very well, without sacrificing precious storage area just for trash.

I had the next suggesting published in Good Old Boat and Practical Boat Owners magazines - something we called "cruising trash cans". For longer term trash storage we used heavy vinyl dry bags, the type that river rafters use. They are strong, water tight, and absolutely odor tight. Each day's trash would be put into one of the river bags, then compacted within the bag by stepping or sitting on the bag. The sealed river bag would then get stashed into the aft lazarette outboard. We typically found that two of these bags (about 13" in diameter, by about 30" tall) would hold up to 10 days compacted trash between stops in port, without making the lazarette smell like a garbage dump.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Interesting ideas

We bungee a 1 gallon plastic trash can to the pedestal tube under the dinette table and use plastic grocery bags to line it. The can is conveniently next to the aisle so the "trash toss" isn't so hard. For water tight storage we put some Kirkland (Costco brand) tall kitchen bags with cinch tops in the kit we take on trips. Longer "wild country" trips would require some of those other storage ideas above, if we couldn't burn or overboard the stuff that would rot.

When we're chopping and cooking we bring the can closer to the galley, rather than walk over and possibly spill or drop our mess.

When we use the dinette with more than 2 folks we temporarily stick the small can in the nav station area, which is to port at the companionway steps on my old boat.

Bring me a beer, or bring my wife a carnation at the Rendezvous, and I'll let you measure the length of my perfect trash can bungee cord. :cheers:

In a couple years we hope to be able to go for up to two weeks without docking, so these kinds of threads are pretty informative.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Not a 38, but...

What I did was use two hooks just under the counter, and suspended common (double-bagged) grocery sacks so we could toss stuff in them with one hand.

The idea was that trash was something to be removed at the earliest opportunity, and this way it never built up. Accordingly, I did not want to hide it or grant precious space to housing it. If we were crusing, once a bag filled up, we would pull it down, tie it off and put it inside a larger common trashbag in the lazerette.

//sse

Attachments

• 061703_galley_dish.jpg
    061703_galley_dish.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 395

clayton

Member III
trash cans

Check out www.welcome-aboard.com (800-295-2469). Click on the "Teak traschcan collection" to see some nice looking trash cans in solid teak, and some 1/2 round style in teak and holly. They are a little trendy price-wise, but then again, it is for "marine use"...We typically use a paper shopping bag inside of a plastic one with handles, and hang it on pegs in the head (aft on our model).

Clayton

e38 owner

Member III
we put a small plastic trash can in the spot that ericson designed. I cut about a 5 inch flap in the top of the can so it would fit. I then put an empty 1 gallon fresh water container under the can to hold it up so that the lip of the can is about 2 inchs above the teak . We now have a lip that a trash bag will fold over. It works pretty well

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Built-in trash basket for E 38-200

I just completed construction of a built-in, slide-out 20 quart trash basket in our E 38-200. This is located beneath the galley sink, toward the forward part of that space and opens along the starboard side of that cabinet face (opposite the chart table.) I had to shorten the 2 drawers beneath the sink by only a few inches. It turned out great and looks as though it were original. If anyone desires detailed photos of the result or the steps in the construction, please let me know.
Mike Jacker

Wind River

Inactive Member
Works for me...the big bag version

This set up works well for us.

Attachments

• Nov 9 2008 boat repair pictures 023.jpg
    Nov 9 2008 boat repair pictures 023.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Nov 9 2008 boat repair pictures 025.jpg
    Nov 9 2008 boat repair pictures 025.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 60

Joliba

Photos of our setup

Our 1988 E38-200 has a different layout. Here is what I did.
Mike Jacker JOLIBA

Attachments

• place for opening_1_1.jpg
    place for opening_1_1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 64
  • mounted door and drawers_2_1.jpg
    mounted door and drawers_2_1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 61
  • garbage bin opened_3_1.jpg
    garbage bin opened_3_1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 65

Don Taugher

Member II
Trash storage on a 38

Regarding the trash situation, we try to keep things as simple as possible on our 38-200 and have used a system that has worked well for more than 20 years on our 29 and now our 38. I have fastened two SS cup hooks (10-12 inches apart) under the top step of the companionway ladder. We suspend plastic grocery bags (doubled) from the hooks. We will usually fill the bag once or twice during the day, when it is full we deposit the grocery bag into a hefty type trash bag and leave it in the lazerate until it is convient to take to a dumpster.

Don Taugher
Running Free 38-200

Sven

Seglare
Our 1988 E38-200 has a different layout. Here is what I did.
Mike Jacker JOLIBA

Nice work !

Is the inside lined in some way to keep odors and junk from getting into the rest of the cabinetry under the sink ?

-Sven

Joliba

I have not yet lined the area for odors, but it could be easily done if I find that it becomes a problem. The area opens directly to the bilge, which has its own odor issues. The undersink area doesn't smell great anyhow and I wouldn't keep food or clean laundry in there. The can is small enough, that I would hope to change bags before it smells bad. On my old boat, a Sabre 30, there was a similar sized garbage bin, but it was right over the engine and the garbage would "cook" if we were under power. This location should not have that problem.

Ericsean

Member III
E-38 Trash

I thought it was standard to have a pass thru trash thru the door above the sink, into the starboard lazarette area. On my 1980 boat which I bought in 07, there is a plywood platform with cutout to fit a small trach container. I'll take some photos next timeI'm on the boat.

Joliba

Trash bin location

Joliba is a 1988 E38-200 with the engine beneath the companionway, a double cabin aft to port, and the head with separate shower aft to starboard. The layout, I believe, is quite different from your boat's and no good garbage bin was included.
Mike Jacker

Cruella

trash

I just hang a double plastic bag on the rail in front of the stove. I use a clip already installed on the rail and just clip the bag. move it along the rail so I don't have it in my legs.