If my engine ever decides to give up the ghost...I'm going QT10.0 >>>

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Range Anxiety is a real concern, whether cars or boats also Cruising range under power was why we replaced replaces our stock 14 gallon diesel tank with a larger 19 gallon tank.

Some days our little YC parking log has 6+ Tesla's in it. But only one of those folks has electric aux. power on his boat, and that's a Merit 25 that he races, locally.
For cars, I have come to realize that the success of Tesla is more due to their early buildout of their high speed charging network, which is still expanding.
In our boating niche activity it may be a very very long time before marina "fuel docks" have high speed charging available, routinely, for electric boats. :geek:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I resist responding to this because it is getting to be just like any other forum on the web… I have NO range anxiety in my 5 year old Chevy Bolt and it is the slowest fast charging EV on the market. I drive from NW Oregon to Santa Cruz CA (640 miles) every month in one day. I do not get range anxiety. Also, I will Never have a sailboat with anything but an electric drive. There I said it ;-)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seems to me that when somebody starts a thread stating big problems with diesels, as the initial post did, diesel owners are very likely to respond with what's good about them.

Yes, that's true of any forum on the web. Nothing wrong with facts and experience, especially when they conflict.

Parrothead

Member III
I know there are some who say, "It's a sailboat! What's the hurry?" Well, there are times when I'm on a schedule or otherwise simply don't have the time to sit becalmed in the middle of the San Pedro channel for 12 hours when the wind craps out. I've got to go to work the next day, and so forth. For my usage pattern, I need the range.
Not to mention San Pedro Channel is one of - if not THE - busiest commercial shipping channels in the world. Maneuverability under any and all conditions is a significant safety issue. Within 10 NM of either harbor entrance (Angel's or Queen's gates) you have to be keenly alert and prepared to take evasive action at all times.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Not to mention San Pedro Channel is one of - if not THE - busiest commercial shipping channels in the world. Maneuverability under any and all conditions is a significant safety issue. Within 10 NM of either harbor entrance (Angel's or Queen's gates) you have to be keenly alert and prepared to take evasive action at all times.
That's certainly a good point. I have had more than a few times over the many years I've made that crossing when it was necessary for me to fire up the engine to get out of the way of a behemoth tanker or container vessel. That's been true not just in the channel, but even more often inside L.A. Harbor itself.

I do think the point has been well made that cruising grounds, usage patterns, and so forth vary, so while electric propulsion might be great for one person it might not be the right solution for another. It definitely wouldn't work for me.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes, that's true of any forum on the web. Nothing wrong with facts and experience, especially when they conflict.
Christian, That’s my issue. So many people with no experience with EP feel compelled to tell others what “know”. Sorry for getting sucked into this thread. Also, I know EP is not for everyone.