Indel Isotemp question

ref_123

Member III
Hi, all,

two questions for those who had installed Isotem water heaters (I know Sean is one of them):

1) did you cut the plug from the power cord or you put an Ac outlet for it?
2) What is the hose diameter that comes out of the heat exchanger on M-25? I cannot measure exactly if it's 7/8" or 1"... Someone on this site mentioned 7/8.

Thanks,
Stanly

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey Stanly -

1 - I cut the plug and put in a nice hard connection. If I were doing it today, however - I would probably put in a junction box and a plug. The Isotemp tank is so easy to break down and remove (the insulation comes apart into two pieces - an the tank itself is held to the mounts with two metal straps) that you would want to make it easy on yourself if you ever needed to pull it out for servicing or cleaning, etc.

2 - It was one of the old measurements that is not really standard anymore - 5/8" (see the attached). I was tempted to put in a fitting and go to 3/4" - but then found the hose I needed at Fisheries and decided I had better things to do with my time. If you don't have one, you should buy yourself a decent caliper for your tool box if you don't already have one...

//sse

Attachments

• closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 34

ref_123

Member III
Thanks!

Thanks, Sean,

I'll look at the junction boxes... Thanks for the idea.

As for the breaking apart - I found out that their Slim model gets in without any issues right through the cockpit locker, no disassembly required...

I am just a bit uneasy about the attachment - the plywood piece where the heater goes that sits on top of the bilge does not seem to be VERY strong and is attached to the hull by a few self-tapping screws. So, for now I am leaving it "as is". With our kind of sailing, I do not expect it to part with a hull.

Thanks again,
Stanly

cruis-n

Member II
Inner tank diameter?

Sean -
I'm assuming that you are refering to the standard sized 6 gallon tank not the slim model. What is the diameter of the inner tank? I've not found that particular specification on their web site.

Thanks.

ref_123

Member III
One more question

Sean,

where did you find fittings 1/2 FPT to 5/8 Hose barb? I looked all over the Google... Only 1/2 MPT is available...

Thanks in advance,
Stanly

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found, when I was replacing all the hoses, that one solution is to use a bronze pipe-thread coupler, with a 1/2 or 3/4 barb nipple screwed into one end and a 5/8 barb nipple screwed into the other. (Whichever reduction you are trying to get to.)

Note that the reason that so many of these tank and heater fittings are for 5/8 hose is that this is a de facto standard for US automotive/truck/RV usage for many decades. (At least that's my best guess)
:)

Loren

Last edited: