Innovative and Functional Interior Ideas

kapnkd

kapnkd
OK ...It’s NOT an Ericson BUT....

It IS an amazing 1/2 hour captivating video created by a cute and energetic young couple who bought an old ‘72 Pearson sailboat for $3k to then completely renovate it with some of the most unique and innovative features I’ve ever seen done on a boat.

They knew nothing about even sailing when they started - but turned their 36 footer into an ingenious well thought out/laid out comfy home.

Well worth the watch to see everything they did and possibly get/utilize some really great ideas for our own Ericson boats!

It’s a very well told and enjoyable story/documentary!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Sailing Uma is, IMO, one of the most polished and consistent YouTube sailing channels. I've been following them from the very beginning (~3 years?) - quite a journey! They are trained architects, so good design sense and clever use of materials comes naturally to them. It's amazing to me how many subscribers they have, all over the world (approaching 1,000,000). I usually watch each newly released vblog the day it comes out, but there have usually been north of 20,000 views by the time I see the new episode just a few hours after it's released.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Sailing Uma is, IMO, one of the most polished and consistent YouTube sailing channels. I've been following them from the very beginning (~3 years?) - quite a journey! They are trained architects, so good design sense and clever use of materials comes naturally to them. It's amazing to me how many subscribers they have, all over the world (approaching 1,000,000). I usually watch each newly released vblog the day it comes out, but there have usually been north of 20,000 views by the time I see the new episode just a few hours after it's released.
"Trained Architects"? ...That helps explain it all. :egrin:

As a former Automotive Interior Designer (one of many hats I've worn) ...I was TOTALLY AMAZED - not only with their innovative ideas but the careful planning and thought that went into it all PLUS how well and professionally they actually carried out and executed all their work with such detailed craftsmanship!

Would it ever be fun to see what they could/would do to an older E-37, E-39 or even an E-46!!! o_O

nquigley

Sustaining Member
"Trained Architects"? ...That helps explain it all. :egrin:

As a former Automotive Interior Designer (one of many hats I've worn) ...I was TOTALLY AMAZED - not only with their innovative ideas but the careful planning and thought that went into it all PLUS how well and professionally they actually carried out and executed all their work with such detailed craftsmanship!

Would it ever be fun to see what they could/would do to an older E-37, E-39 or even an E-46!!! o_O
They started their adventure soon after graduating from architect school (Texas? New Mexico? - can't recall). Yeah - I often think that they could do wonders with any boat with a dated interior. But, they have customized for exactly their needs and their use of the boat - they might have more trouble designing for someone else (?). Also, they are doing this for a job - they also get lots of vendor 'support', which I think drives a lot of the mods they've done. Good on them!

kapnkd

kapnkd
They started their adventure soon after graduating from architect school (Texas? New Mexico? - can't recall). Yeah - I often think that they could do wonders with any boat with a dated interior. But, they have customized for exactly their needs and their use of the boat - they might have more trouble designing for someone else (?). Also, they are doing this for a job - they also get lots of vendor 'support', which I think drives a lot of the mods they've done. Good on them!
As professional architects go, most certainly their training would have them normally meeting one on one with clients. It means listening intently to the clients needs and desires before ever creating or offering any design solutions and proposals.

Reflecting back: ...In the auto industry, we were challenged by the restrictions of designing to the masses of a 95 percentile to fit everyone, not to mention the vehicle's physical packaging constraints and ...WORST OF ALL... government regulations administered by NHTSA & FMVSS.

(For the most part, most were logical and understandable - BUT - there are many (constantly growing) rules that boggle one's mind with bureaucratic ludicrous logic that often borders on insanity.)

For THIS young couple: ...I would suspect, given their floating lifestyle and freedoms of moving anywhere they wish...I could easily see them creating a consulting firm to evaluate and design similar creative solutions for clients to carry out on their own older crafts VS purchasing a new boat at those astronomical prices. (ESPECIALLY with the abundance of older vessels on the market in need of repair but with "GOOD BONES"!

Too late now ...as I've recently finished the total refit and remake of our '73 E32. Even with my background, I'd still LOVE TO SEE what THEY could/would have offered!!! :esad:

This young couple is now on my MUST WATCH list for sure!!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
By coincidence, I did catch watch that particular video the other night, after not having watched their channel (or any others) for about a year. I like what they've done with the chart table. They had a previous iteration that didn't appeal so well - required one to sit in the lotus position. IIRC, many of their projects have been experiments that didn't work out and got re-done. Sometimes two or three times. Not that there's anything wrong with empiricism.

kapnkd

kapnkd
By coincidence, I did catch watch that particular video the other night, after not having watched their channel (or any others) for about a year. I like what they've done with the chart table. They had a previous iteration that didn't appeal so well - required one to sit in the lotus position. IIRC, many of their projects have been experiments that didn't work out and got re-done. Sometimes two or three times. Not that there's anything wrong with empiricism.
YES! ...It seems they have modified and changed, with major efforts, many of their original design creations/ideas to better logically fit their true life cruising needs as necessary without any, "Oh well, ...let's just live with it" attitudes. I truly admire them ESPECIALLY for this alone!

Absolute perfection - indeed - can be a total blessing ...as well as a total curse I would think!! ;)

So far, I've seen a real balance in what they have done and are doing!!

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Not being a scrooge...but all its costs is mucho dinero.....my mind is constantly full of ideas; however, along with dinero is "energy". I have the time being retired, my kiddos have the energy, but their time for construction is rarely negotiable as they work for a living. The vast majority of their available Ericson time is devoted to sailing and that is a great thing....it is usually me alone doing the upgrades or whatever maintenance work is required and I do it because it is truly a Love affair... unless I hire it out.....ahem! But I do enjoy seeing what others have accomplished, and that gives me even more ideas! Hey, isn't that what it is all about? Hey kids, how about this weekend?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Those folks really DO have some innovative interior ideas. Also it is really great that they sail and use their boat a lot, and are willing to modify parts to better suit real world use.

Not so great the way they are cavalier about cutting back structure parts of the boat to facilitate their interior "makeover". That boat was designed by a NA with strength in many discrete areas for rigging forces and hull stress forces. Maybe they did have a NA re-do the engineering before bulkheads were cut out, but I did not pick that up from the video.
(?)

kapnkd

kapnkd
Those folks really DO have some innovative interior ideas. Also it is really great that they sail and use their boat a lot, and are willing to modify parts to better suit real world use.

Not so great the way they are cavalier about cutting back structure parts of the boat to facilitate their interior "makeover". That boat was designed by a NA with strength in many discrete areas for rigging forces and hull stress forces. Maybe they did have a NA re-do the engineering before bulkheads were cut out, but I did not pick that up from the video.
(?)
Morning Loren,

Good points! ...AND... as a word of caution to any of us to not go in willy-nilly cutting away on bulkheads! :eek:

From what I've read/heard, they both have degrees in Architecture (BArch or LPE) which would sure help explain their unique and imaginative design concepts. In this video he mentioned cutting away one area of a lesser bulkhead (for their table area) that he commented wouldn't harm/compromise the needed strength in that area.

I would suspect studies for being either a NA or BArch/LPE include plenty of engineering expertise that can readily be applied to either situation. ...OR - that they would at least have had the foresight to seek out that critical information. (Seems to have worked OK for them as they've now been doing some serious sailing with their boat. They've apparently got multiple videos posted on YouTube worth checking out.)

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
When I saw the interior I knew immediately it was UMA without reading the caption. It is a very interesting segment to watch for those of us who are cruisers, live a boards or wantabes.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Not sure where I heard this, but the couple actually makes a good sum of money from their videos on Youtube and Patreon. Their building skills are only complimented by their sailing ability, editing, and creative story telling. Quite a bit of talent for two people!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Not sure where I heard this, but the couple actually makes a good sum of money from their videos on Youtube and Patreon. Their building skills are only complimented by their sailing ability, editing, and creative story telling. Quite a bit of talent for two people!
Well, it seems obvious - they've gone from installing salvage yard parts to buying all the latest new gadgets without apparently getting jobs anywhere along the way. Although they certainly could have left that part out of the narrative, but I doubt it. Just making the videos must be pre. How many people do a $30K re-power on a $3K boat?

(?)
Cutting away potentially structural members gave me the willies too. But that thing was really a wreck when they started - IIRC, they had to start by building a structural grid to keep the keel from wobbling on every tack. I don't recall whether they had outside advice on that, but there were sure a flood of kibitzers in the comments section.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I wish them always the best in their sailing adventures....with 300k folks watching, maybe they receive average of $5 per member via PayPal? Thats $1.5M over 3 years. Better than I ever made...not jealous, just envious! Youth has its advantages and both intelligent, talented and very well educated...crabby ole me.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I wish them always the best in their sailing adventures....with 300k folks watching, maybe they receive average of $5 per member via PayPal? Thats $1.5M over 3 years. Better than I ever made...not jealous, just envious! Youth has its advantages and both intelligent, talented and very well educated...crabby ole me.
We can see how many subscribers they have (309K at present), but those people (including me) just get notifications when new episodes drop - they don't contribute $ to the cause. We can't tell how many Patreons they have - those are the people who pay a fixed fee per episode - the amount is left up to the donor and is often only $1 per episode. If you ballpark that, say, only 1% of their 'Subscribers' are also 'Patreons', and each pays $1 per episode, and there's about 2 episodes per month (~ 24 per year), they'd be receiving about 3,000 x 24 = $72K per year. They do seem to get a lot of donated or discounted equipment from vendors (good for vendors' publicity), but they are not really pushing those products, so I'm totally OK with that. I certainly don't begrudge them a reasonable living in return for the obvious enjoyment their story brings to many many people with each new episode.
One thing I really give them credit for is sticking with their original boat, and improving it as needed. Quite a few Youtube sailing channels say they've grown out of their current boat and they ask for $ toward a replacement by setting up a Go-Fund-Me page. Project Atticus did this recently - set a target of $50K and within a week or so had received more than $60K toward another boat - they're now shopping in the $75-100K range for a bigger boat to accommodate a planned family and far-ranging voyages.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I’m just not interesting or cute enough to to get other people to pay for my sailing habit. I do love the magnetic phone charger in the nav desk trick.

wynkoop

Member III
I don't have someone to hold a camera as I work on Silver Maiden or I would post my stuff on youtube and ask for patrons as well I am cute enough!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author

(?)
Amen Loren. While I respect some of the innovation, I think that interior looks like an Ikea showroom. Call me old school but I like fiddle rails on tables and galley countertops, plywood edges trimmed out, and handrails that don't look like they came off a city bus.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Toddster,

On their initial repower they spent more like $100's - a used forklift motor and some lead acid batteries. That got them from Florida to the Caribbean, up the east coast and across the Atlantic. The current EP setup is at least a $30,000 system. They were gifted an Ocean Volt saildrive and got a "good sponsorship deal" on a bunch of Battle Born lithium batteries. I like how they are not afraid to dig into the boat. The change from propshaft to saildrive is a good example of that!