• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Interior Teak

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
I am removing and replacing some of the Teak panels on the cabin walls of our 1983 E381. The biggest piece is the one in front of the Stbd portlight in the main cabin. It was damaged from water intrusion from the Dorade box leaking around the water seperators on the Stbd side and running down onto the top of the panel.
My question is: I had heard from some old time Ericson owners that Ericson used Cherry stain on the interior Teak before varnishing. Is this fact, and if not, was any stain used before varnishing?
Thanks

Last edited:

newpbs

Member III
Teak Type

I would also like some information about how the teak in my E32-200 should be finished. What kind of teak are you using? There seems to be several types available from various places. The type of teak will make a difference trying to match existing materials.

I need to manufacture a new table leaf for my boat. Two questions need to be addressed for my project:

-What type of teak was used
-What kind of finish will match the original

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"...Looks like Teak to me!...."

As all of our boats approach and pass the quarter century mark, this knowledge is getting to be like the most difficult questions in a sort of "nautical trivial pursuit" game...
:rolleyes:
We have used the TRAVACO Te-Ka Teak Cleaner Kit for our interior teak and also the exterial hand rails and trim.
It seems to remove all the old oil and stain. We then lay on coats of gloss varnish. Why? 'Cause we like the look...
:cool:
Be aware that the factory used a light stain (persistent rumor that it was a light cherry) to blend in all the different shades of teak they were installing. I do not mind having some of our boat's trim lighter in tone, but others may like the original look better. For that matter, some folks dislike varnish while we prefer it over oil.
Whatever. ;)

If you are concerned about having repairs show up too much, it would seem prudent to at least use real teak ($$) over any of the near-look-alike species of wood, strictly IMHO.
As to your new table, remember that only the surface will be in plain view. The core can be other ply or balsa. The top may, for the sake of durability even be Formica. There will be silverware, plates, pans, and the occasional tool box to scar it up...

(The Norse gods of teak wood may smite me for this opinion, but if we ever rebuild our pretty all-teak table, it would be with a more practical plastic laminate surface and just keep the teak fiddles and other structure.)

Please post some construction pictures, if you can, too.

Best,
Loren

ps: Scroll down about half way in this interior project page and read Wally's discussion of trying to match the color of his interior teak woodwork and trim. Interesting. http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/Projects/galley/u_shape/usblues.htm

Last edited:

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Our interior has been varnished a few years ago so we need to apply the stain before I varnish the board I have replaced.

To Paul: I bought my teak faced marine plywood at Public Lumber which is at I75 and 7 mile. They have any wood that one would ever want.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I've repaired and replaced some of our interior teak in our 84. If I started with relatively bright light colored teak I can get a good match without stain with a satin varnish. A "rubbed-effect" or semigloss might work well too.

newpbs

Member III
Thanks

Gary, Thanks for the information on Public Lumber. I've looked at their site and they carry Teak and Holly sole material too. At some point, I will want to replace and refinish my sole.

Loren, I am going to attempt to fabricate a missing leaf from my cabin table. The parts that I have are in good shape so I will attempt to make the missing section match the original. Pictures make be possible, we'll see how things go.

I'm very pleased with the information that I continue to gain from this site. I wish that I had more to contribute.

Gary- thanks for sharing your post.

Paul
E32-200

Glyn Judson

INterior wood.

Both of our Ericsons, first a 1979 E25+, hull #515 and our 1979 E31 hull #55 have teak interiors. For that matter the first E31 finished in teak was Marty's 1977, hull #22 so maybe it was around then that Ericson made the change from mahogany to teak in the rest of the fleet as well. Does anyone know for sure? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

larossa

Member II
Teak Supply

Gary, Thanks for the information on Public Lumber. I've looked at their site and they carry Teak and Holly sole material too. At some point, I will want to replace and refinish my sole.

Loren, I am going to attempt to fabricate a missing leaf from my cabin table. The parts that I have are in good shape so I will attempt to make the missing section match the original. Pictures make be possible, we'll see how things go.

I'm very pleased with the information that I continue to gain from this site. I wish that I had more to contribute.

Gary- thanks for sharing your post.

Paul
E32-200

Paul,

There is also another source of teak and other hard woods in the Metro Detroit, Armstrong Lumber in Highland, Michigan. It might be even closer than Publix Lumber. I purchased my teak to replace my toe rail last season from them. I'm quite close to you, I live in Novi, and sail out of Crescent Sail Yacht Club in Grosse Pointe, MI. We'll have to get together this summer.

Good luck,

Brian
E321C
Nemo