• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

jib sheets 38-200

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Sounds like I need to look at Samson MLX3. I wonder how similar it is to NE Viper? Do you know? I don't think I'd use Viper for Genoa sheets. I wish I had a store I could go to and handle line. I'll probably need to order a foot or two of a few options when I order other marine items and see how they feel. I'm not seeking a super low stretch option (nor willing to pay for it) - was just hoping there's a good affordable upgrade over Sta Set, with priorities for feel in the hand but not fuzzy, reduced weight, and isn't too stiff or slippery. I bought Samson Ultra-Lite for sheets for my drifter sail and like those, but I don't think that would stand up well to being left on the genoa day in day out all season for years.
I am the same when it comes to the feel of a sheet in your hands. There a several shops here in the SF Bay Area where I go just to select a rope brand and model. Good rope (sometimes expensive) will last years on the deck here in California where our season is almost year around. I think that this may be a, "You get what you pay for" situation. I have friends who bought inexpensive line online and ended re-buying to replace it soon after. As for choices, How about Robline Admiral 5000. Not badly priced at Vela Sailing, https://menloservice-prod.ca.sandia...&page=1&query=adm&query_name=match_and&rpp=20.

ConchyDug

Member III
Yeah the MLX3 is similar to New England Viper and Robline 5000 but it's $0.30-0.50 cheaper a foot. They might be slightly less elastic but for the loads on an Ericson you probably won't be able to notice. It works well for halyards as well on cruising boats. I've used the MLX3 as a halyard for the 120sqm kite on my 38 with no issues. You might get 1-2" of stretch over a 70' halyard loaded to 20% of breaking. I've also used the Samson Ultra lite for my spin sheets on the 38 and a few other cruising boats. I don't taper/strip the sheets or halyards either because it's a cruising boat. There are lots of cool ways to go with running rigging and geek out but I usually go for longevity on the Ericson. I second the recommendation about Vela. Rod at Vela is super responsive via the chat window on his site if he isn't racing. He is also an amazing pro sailor. He can definitely point you in the right direction.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Yeah the MLX3 is similar to New England Viper and Robline 5000 but it's $0.30-0.50 cheaper a foot. They might be slightly less elastic but for the loads on an Ericson you probably won't be able to notice. It works well for halyards as well on cruising boats. I've used the MLX3 as a halyard for the 120sqm kite on my 38 with no issues. You might get 1-2" of stretch over a 70' halyard loaded to 20% of breaking. I've also used the Samson Ultra lite for my spin sheets on the 38 and a few other cruising boats. I don't taper/strip the sheets or halyards either because it's a cruising boat. There are lots of cool ways to go with running rigging and geek out but I usually go for longevity on the Ericson. I second the recommendation about Vela. Rod at Vela is super responsive via the chat window on his site if he isn't racing. He is also an amazing pro sailor. He can definitely point you in the right direction.
Rod at Vela is great. Just FYI. I was using the Samson Ultra lite for spinnaker sheet/guy (racing) and found that my kite would have a lot of problems reaching upwind even with pole forward and lowered to the pulpit in winds over 10+ knots. On a reorder with Vela, Rod called me and asked what I was using the Ultra lite for and I told him spin sheet and guy. He told me that he does not recommend Ultra lite for that use because it is too stretchy. He recommended the Robline 5000. I changed my order to the Robline and now my kite points higher without issue. The problem was the rope would stretch on the guy side, stretchy sheet is OK, but no matter how i trimmed the pole, the stretchy guy would flex it out of trim. I actually thought it was time to replace the spinnaker. Now under lighter conditions and going downwind it worked great and I love that it floats and is easy on the hands. Not a good line for racing.

ConchyDug

Member III
I'm running A-kites on the 38 off the stem head. We douse it when the true wind gets above 16-18kts or so, the 38 rudder just doesn't seem to have the smooth bite anymore above 9kts thru the water like an elliptical. I'd rather be flogged than do dip pole gybes on a boat again. If you are running ultra lite on a dip pole rig it would probably stretch like a rubber band. It would probably work on something like a j22 or maybe a j24. We use the tapered 3/8" or 7/16" ultra lite on j105s for the light air sheets I think it's a hybrid core but we swap to endura or something with a SK78 or SK99 rating for 12kts plus. I also use a SK99 rope for the tackline can't remember the brand though.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I'm running A-kites on the 38 off the stem head. We douse it when the true wind gets above 16-18kts or so, the 38 rudder just doesn't seem to have the smooth bite anymore above 9kts thru the water like an elliptical. I'd rather be flogged than do dip pole gybes on a boat again. If you are running ultra lite on a dip pole rig it would probably stretch like a rubber band. It would probably work on something like a j22 or maybe a j24. We use the tapered 3/8" or 7/16" ultra lite on j105s for the light air sheets I think it's a hybrid core but we swap to endura or something with a SK78 or SK99 rating for 12kts plus. I also use a SK99 rope for the tackline can't remember the brand though.
Check out Alpha Rope, SSR. I have been using it for jib sheets since the winter and I love them so far. It is a single braid typically used for mainsheets but the mfg also recommends as jib sheets. Super soft, very little stretch, but best of all, they don't kink at al! Down side is that they will fray if your blocks are not rolling well and I am told that cam cleats can be hard on them. No problem in self tailing winches although it does need an extra wrap when loaded and a little help with a hand turn when easing if wet. Oh, and it does cost more too. Oh well.

klb67pgh

Member III
I just rediscovered Marlow D2 Club. 16 plait polyester cover, SK75 and poly blend 12 strand core. May need to get a sample of that too. Any experience? I found it referenced only once on the forum.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I have some Marlow D2 on the boat. I had Easom rigging (Roy Disney's rigger) install pole topping lift and foreguy about 3 years ago and it cost me more than I like to admit in public. Hard to judge a line on pole controls but is by far the nicest looking line and has not disappointed me in anyway so far. If that's something? I do like the way it feels and it is not as stiff and Endura.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Hmmm. I just bought a 7/16 pre-made main halyard for my 1981 E38 from Defender, brand "Novabraid", which included a headboard shackle spliced to the line. I was a little dismayed to see the splice appeared to increase the diameter of the line to over a half inch. I had climbed my mast to measure the sheave a couple weeks ago, and the width was 9/16, and now I'm afraid the line will bind as the splice passes over the sheave near the top of the hoist. I hope I'm wrong. My current halyard is a line/cable spliced assembly which was on the boat when I bought it 13 years ago, and which I've been dying to get rid of. If the new one doesn't work, I'm going to be well & truly stuck.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E38 "Next Exit"