Guest viewing is limited

Just bought an Ericson 27 - New sailor/boat owner alert!

Hello all,
I am very fortunate to have found this site!
I recently purchased an E27 with a yellow hull that looks as if it was kept in perfect condition and then one day left to sit for a LONG time. Impeccable maintenance on the inside, including plumbing, Volvo diesel and electrical. I am excited at restoring this and getting it on the water ASAP. I have a haul out/bottom clean and paint scheduled for this week... If I can motor down to the yard safely :)
It is an old boat and I am a complete noob when it comes to this. I have taken a couple of lessons and always had a passion for the sea. I can't wait to be out on the water! I have lots of questions and believe that this is the site for me!
Thanks for your time!
First Question: Sea Cock on this boat... How do I tell if it is off or on? and where are they exactly? (Big step for me as I have just figured out that these valves are called seacocks!):)
Second Question: The motor looks great but a little white residue seems to be dried in a couple of spots. It looks like battery acid...
Third Question: Should I smell gasoline under the main berth? It's light but I catch a whiff of it every now and then... Strange as it is a diesel...
Here are a couple of pics of the boat!
DSC_0276.jpgDSC_0277.jpg

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
First off, welcome. Second, be careful about pulling up for that haul out... I stepped off my new to me 35-2 and "almost" touched the dock before falling in! (there was no one around to take a line... but the world must have heard the splash judging from the crowd when I came up!)
Sea cocks Most have a lever, If it is in line with the hose it is open and across it is closed. Many Ericsons came with a faucet type handle and it is like a faucet right tight. counter clockwise closed. Have the yard look at all the through hulls while it is out. they have a "special" thread but will accept a standard pipe thread (NOT a good thing!!!) also they should be converted to a bronze through hull directly to a bronze TRUE sea cock if they are not already. (Merilin is also considered acceptable, but bronze is best) Also make sure that they actually function, sometimes they will freeze up inside and the handle will strip and "appear" to work. Also check the hoses and the clamps on them (2 clamps are the correct number on everything at least below the waterline and always good practice) If a clamp shows ANY signs of any imperfection, replace it!
The powder you describe sounds like either corrosion or a water leak (typically a small seepage from a hose) in the short term it is not a big deal, but again ask the guys at the yard. There is generally someone there that will want to be very helpful, impress you with how much they know, and over charge you to fix it! Take advantage of the first two then get back to us. As for the fuel smell it is also worth investigating.
No, it should not smell like gas or ideally like anything else. Boats do however have a lot of smells sometimes for different reasons and they are not all bad. It could be fuel, or mold/ rot, or just gassing of the oil the P/O used on the wood in that area.
Relax, (that's why you got a boat) it is like golf, the learning curve is not that steep, there are plenty of guys to give you pointers, and you can spend the rest of your life trying to master the sport!
Have fun and post often, Edd:egrin:

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Welcome Aboard Fellow Yellow Huller!

I bet you thought your boat was an anomoly! For a while, I did. I was in your same situation about a year and a half ago. 2nd the advice from Exodus on getting all of the thru-hulls inspected. I sweated mine out for about 6 months knowing that one of my sea cocks was stuck open. The best advice I can give you is to download the Owner's Manual on this site located under "Links/Downlads" tab above. There are diagrams for both the electrical and plumbing layout and just spend some time on the boat finding them, because I have found that there generally are variations, usually by the previous owner. My E-27 is gas A-4 with wheel steering. Looks like oxidation has gotten the best of your gelcoat. It will take a lot of elbow grease or money to potentially bring it back to life, but spend that on the mechanicals first! :)

This is a great community as you will find out, so don't be shy to ask Noob questions or better yet do a search of the previous threads. Generally someone at sometime posed the same question. I learned a lot by doing that.

Good Luck

Attachments

• Two Harbors.jpg
    Two Harbors.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 472

MT Taipan

Member I
Welcome. I too, am a new owner of a 27' and new to the sailing world (mid-life and all). I have entertained the people in my marina with all my learning, but they welcome the enthusiam and remember what it was like.:egrin: Like it's been said before, have fun!

Thanks for the response fellow Ericson owners. I appreciate the info.
I will make sure to get the through hulls checked. I am going to take it to KKMI boat yard in Point Richmond, California. I've been reading in other forums and they were highly recommended, albeit a bit pricy. I hear you get what you pay for though. I want to do most of the work myself but will probably have to pay for some things that are outside my skill level.
Do any of you have any recommendations for places to purchase sail covers, running rigging etc. besides those listed on the links page?
This is gonna be fun I think! :)
Cheers!

dt222

Member III
Congrats!

I echo the thoughts of the others. Focus on safety first- thru hulls (so boat doesn't sink), standing rigging (so nothing falls down). Electrical & engine- (so you can leave the dock and get back). Sails and running rigging (so you can do what the boat was designed to do). Last stop- cosmetics (hull and brightwork).

When you get to cosmetics, here's a link that I swear by: http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117266&#post706131. Note: best done when out of the water.

Good luck, and post back with questions.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Haulout

Hello there transientchad!

Welcome to the site and to Ericson ownership. I had an E27 myself for a couple of years. Mine was in similar shape as yours, and managed to bring it back a little. You can find pics on this site of what I did. Alas, i moved up to an E35-2 a few months ago, which I have hauled out at Berkeley Marine Center at the moment.

Speaking of which, you might contact Berkeley Marine Center for pricing. The yard lets you do your own work, and they guys there are super helpful if you have questions/need guidance. KKMI doesn't let you do your own work (at least not the one in Sausalito). Not sure about the one in Richmond.

Supplies: try Svendsen's in Alameda and Blue Pelican Marine just down the road (used/consignment store). You can also try to order online at Defender.com, Jamestown Distributors, and similar places.

Thanks for the response fellow Ericson owners. I appreciate the info.
I will make sure to get the through hulls checked. I am going to take it to KKMI boat yard in Point Richmond, California. I've been reading in other forums and they were highly recommended, albeit a bit pricy. I hear you get what you pay for though. I want to do most of the work myself but will probably have to pay for some things that are outside my skill level.
Do any of you have any recommendations for places to purchase sail covers, running rigging etc. besides those listed on the links page?
This is gonna be fun I think! :)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will have to visit Blue Pelican sometime soon. I believe I have to replace all the running rigging as it is aged and stiff.
I am berthed in the Petaluma Marina and work only two minutes from my boat... Makes it hard to not run over there every chance I get.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Petaluma

I thought your Ericson looked familiar. I live in Petaluma, but have my boat at Loch Lomond in San Rafael. I look at the boats in the marina from the freeway and sometimes wonder what it would be like to have my boat so close to home! Welcome again!

Thanks for the info. I will have to visit Blue Pelican sometime soon. I believe I have to replace all the running rigging as it is aged and stiff.
I am berthed in the Petaluma Marina and work only two minutes from my boat... Makes it hard to not run over there every chance I get.

Awesome to know of other Ericson owners nearby! If you ever feel like checking out the marina or the boat feel free to drop by! I just signed my papers for my slip today with the harbor master. They seem great and it is really a nice marina...

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Welcome to the club for great old boats!

First off Welcome to the club for great old boats! I too have a 1973 E-27, I have owned it for the last 10 years now and though it has been a hole in the water that I frequently throw money in, it has been a whole lotta fun!

As other's have already stated, find and inspect all of your sea cocks. If you have the old "gate valves" that originally came on most of the Ericson's as my vintage boat did, you should probably consider replacing them with "ball valves". That was the first thing I did when I hauled my boat out for the first time.

Most of the old "gate valve sea cocks" are easy to spot. If they have the same kind of round handle you have on your garden faucet they are probably a old "gate valve" and should be replaced.

The two photos below show the difference. Unlike the nylon (plastic) ball valve shown in the photo, I went with bronze.

Here's a couple handy web links:

http://www.raggedsails.com/boatprojects/replacing-thruhull-seacock/

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?NewsID=3232

Yes, do a good inspection of your standing & running rigging as well as your engine systems and sails as well.

Congratulations, enjoy your new project. Get it functional and enjoy it on and off while you restore it cosmetically.

Attachments

• ballvalveandgatevalve-M.jpg
    ballvalveandgatevalve-M.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 487
Thanks for the Pics! I found the old style one under the sink... Elsewhere (head etc.) all of them were replaced with the newer kind. I need to make sure they are all closed shut! Of course it has been sitting as is for a long spell... So probably all right.
I think I will actually do the haul out somewhere I can do my own repairs as I would rather fix these (especially with such clear instruction) than have to pay an arm and a leg.
By the way I have been seeing some of your pics/videos elsewhere on the internet as well. The Pride of Cucamonga is an incredibly nice ship!

thomthod

Member II
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure you change the packing for the stuffing box as well as inspect the cutlass bering for play by wiggling the shaft. Those are two major issues I would resolve while out of the water. Especially for a boat that has sat around for a while.

Cheers T

Blooz Traveler
E29

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
By the way I have been seeing some of your pics/videos elsewhere on the internet as well. The Pride of Cucamonga is an incredibly nice ship!

Thanks Man, the Pride Of Cucamonga does like to expose herself probably a bit too much. :egrin:

Another note regarding sea cocks. I am now in the habit of making sure that almost all are closed when I am not on board. The sea cock that is for the engine is often overlooked when putting the boat to bed, and can be a bit of a hassle to close because you most likely need to remove the engine cover. I close it every time and hang the ignition key on the valve handle. The only sea cock I don't close regularly is for the galley sink. Partly because the sink is far above the water line, but you never know, that hose could fail as well. Double clamp all hoses!

A sport fishing boat just 3 slips away from be sunk recently because the engine sea cock was open and the sea strainer (filter) ruptured. The owner had made one other mistake. Instead of having his two electric bilge pumps hooked directly to the battery, he had them hooked to the DC power panel and of course that was shut off. The boat was considered totaled by the insurance company, but they are trying to repair the two new beautiful Yanmars and buy the boat back from the insurance company.

Just a few words of caution about sea cocks and pumps.

Last edited:
I am a little worried now about the through hulls...
I went today and closed the newer sea cocks in the head. No problem there... Though I did notice the toilet had a little more water than 2 days ago. Flushed and hopefully it will stay that way.
The spigot valve under the sink I found. However when I went to close it it just kept spinning and spinning... Never closing. Needles to say I am a little freaked out...
Any tips?
Chad
Here is a picture of it...
Spiggot.jpg

Attachments

• Spiggot.jpg
    Spiggot.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 224

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Don't Freak Out

As long as the black drain hose and clamps are in good order, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Just realize that there is water in that black hose at sea level.

If you are still freaked out, I suppose you could stuff the thru hull with something from the water side, like one of those wooden stoppers or even a toilet bowl wax ring. You just won't be able to use the sink unitl your haul out, but thats probably not a big deal. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
That's the sea cock under your sink right? Hard to tell right off hand but it looks like a old gate valve type with a broken red faucet knob on it. If it is a gate valve I would replace it with a ball valve.

As far as your head having more water in it, it could mean the rubber choker valve that exits at the bottom of the bowl could be worn out (or needs lubrication) and it' back flushing from the holding tank. Do you know if you have a holding tank? My boat did not when I got it 10 years ago and I installed one right away to be CG compliant.

So many head systems I have seen on these old E-27's are very different. Most of them of the 70's vintage have been replace with newer types. If you don't have a holding tank and water is coming in, I would be concerned. Keep those valves closed.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
yes keep the toilet valves closed! The head is well below the waterline and the only thing holding the flush water back is a valve inside the head that is prone to failure! It will fail if not lubed, or if something floats in and gets stuck. It takes only a small leak to fill the bowl and then flood out and fill the boat.