keel bolts on 28+

seizethebay

Member I
I had my boat hauled out today to paint the botom and the yard said the keel was pulled away about 3 inches and needed to be tightened.

The yard was unclear where the keel bolts were. I am trying to save $$$ and let them know where and how to access them so they do not spend hours searching. I have searched the posts and am now more confused as I think I have been reading there are no bolts??? How can that be?
She is a 1985 28+. There must be bolts somewhere to tighten?

In addition to the keel issue, the strut also seems to have a bit of moevement . Seems reading through the manual this is normal and all I need to ask them to do is seal it. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Five bolts...

I went to the Specs section of this site, d/l the E-28 brochure, and found some keel information. I did a screen capture of that part.
Keep looking for those five SS bolts. I would pick up the access plates down the centerline of the cabin sole and look into the bilges.

As for the strut, each survey of our boat involved a sideways thump on the strut with a hammer (I still cringe to remember it...) and the comment that it should not move at all. Ours did not move, thankfully.

Best,
Loren

Attachments

• e-28-keel-bolts.jpg
    e-28-keel-bolts.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Gary G

Member II
E28+ keel bolts

I have a 1983 E28+ and as far as I know the keel is molded into the hull and there are no keel bolts. Concerning the strut, ideally it should not move at all. I had slight movement in mine and after tightning it up over the winter there is noticeably less vibration while running the engine. As I understand things, movement in the strut can cause premature cutlass bearing wear and alignment problems that will ultimately result in bigger trans and engine problems ($$$$). BTW, in my boat the bolts holding the strut were glassed into the hull so a lot of grinding had to be done to expose them so they could be tightened down.

adavid

Member II
In the E28 (1986+) there are definitely bolts. I see them as soon as I open the bilge. The pre-1986 boats were E28+, and likely the keel was mounted differently.

Andy
1986 Ericson 28

Roger

Member II
The E-28+ had a lead keel slug that dropped into a molded fiberglass keel, hence no bolts. The E-28 (Hull #600+, IIRC) had a conventional external lead keel attached with bolts.

Makes me wonder what's going on if the yard is telling you that there's a 3" gap above the keel on a 28+!

sleather

Sustaining Member
I hope the 3" gap they're talking about is just some missing fairing compound. That would still indicate a problem, but a true gap of any kind should have you on the bottom.:confused: Pics needed!