Keel on Ericson 27

Ken K

We are in the process of buying our first sailboat and have found an Ericson 27 1978 model we are interested in buying. The keel is the standard keel Ericson put on all the 27s with the 2900 # ballast. My wife would get more than a little concerned if the boat were not stable and heeled while sailing. Would someone tell me how the E27 would compare to a Catilina 27 with a fin keel with a 4' draft as far as stability and balance?

People in our Yacht Club say this looks like a shoal keel and the E27 would heel much more.

Dave Hussey

Member III
E27 stiffness

The Ericson 27 is a solid boat, but it is tender up to about 15 or 20 degrees of heel, after which she stiffens right up and rides very well, and even in a 3 foot chop, does not ship much water. Of course, you don't have to keep all the sail up if 20 degrees is uncomfortable. I have not sailed in a Catalina 27, so I do not know what their characteristics are. I do own an E27, and can vouch for her handeling. I reef my main when the white caps were blowing their tops off. I like to sail at the point where she hardens up. I find the ride very agreeable at that point. I would think that the owners would be happy to take you out for a brisk sail to give you a chance to see for yourself. :egrin:
Dave Hussey

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One Question... or Two?

I used to crew some on an E-27. Great boat in light and heavy air.
Reading between your lines (admittedly dangerous, I know...) I see a concern expressed by your wife about the heeling that is an integral part of sailing any keel boat. Whether you look at a Catalina or an Ericson, they both will heel when beating to weather.
"Stability" is not measured by whether a sail boat heels, remember.
:)
The Ericson will be the more solid of the two makes, FWIW, and will have a better-finished interior as well.
Both are fine for day sailing, overnighting, and club racing. If I were going to enter or cross an ocean I would choose the E-27 over the cheaper-constructed boat, in a heartbeat. Others have crossed the Pacific in their E-27.

Best of luck in your sailing decision. Be aware that there a few people (and it's not a gender thing) that have a very difficult time with heeling and rolling around on an indifferent ocean or any largish body of water. Whether it's a "control" issue or gut-level fear of drowning, they have great trouble adapting to boating.... I sure hope that such is not the case.
:cool:

Best,

Loren in PDX

escapade

Inactive Member
more E27 stuff

Ken
Our first boat was an E27. Loren hit it right on concerning this boat vs. a 27 Catalina. You don't mention if it's an inboard or outboard version. If it has the Atomic 4 (inboard) it will have a tendency to hobby horse when motoring into a headsea. They are not unually tender (tippy) unless it's a tall rig (extra tall mast). Even then as long as you reef the main early there is no problem. It sounds like it would be a good idea not to scare your spouse by going out in too much wind till she get's her sea legs. You need to be able to convince her that a little tip is OK, but it's nearly impossible to turn one upside down. Our 27 never exceeded 35 deg. of heel & that was in 35 kn. of wind! Typical was 15 to 20 degrees. All things considered they are very good boats, well constructed, decent sailing potential, & roomy enough for a couple weeks of cruising.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade" :)