• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaky Grab Rail

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bummer to have leaks that are so darned hard to locate!
Decades ago I used to think in terms of stopping boat leaks from inside. After a while, slowly in my case, the wisdom of the pro's -- actual boat wrights -- seeped into my mind.
Deck leaks are, finally, not different from leaks in the hull below the waterline. If, for instance, you have a small leak around a thruhull fitting, no matter how much or how strong the goo is that you slather around it, sooner or later the outside water will reassert its presence. Luckily there are only a small finite number of places for such hull leaks to occur - shaft(s) and thruhulls. So we usually sigh, and finally re-bed them all or replace packing at a scheduled haul out.

"Deck Leaks" OTOH are far worse based on the 100 different fastening holes in the deck.... or in the case of a boat of my size, more like 200.
Those leaks will rot and ruin the interior woodwork as well as the coring. :( :(

Sometime, when in a comtemplative mood, take pencil and tablet in hand and actually inventory the true number of places, larger and small, where very screw or bolt penetrates your fiberglass deck. The final number may cause you to need a calming drink.

That is also why, even for the more labor-expending builders like Ericson, they knew that the majority of new boat buyers would not pay the extra cost to have all of those holes backed up with solid resin/filler.
Now that I have done that work, even allowing for my amateur pace, I understand that. It is not work that lends itself to mechanized mass production.

That said, I *did* find that most of the deck penetrations in our '88 boat had the hole chamfered at the top for extra sealant, and that the factory had used a lot of 5200. While we all roll our eyes at this product, in fact it was - and to an extent is - the 'gold standard' for adhesive sealants.

Point is that to have a dry rot-free interior whether from rain or spray, you are going to have to re-bed all of the fittings. Might was well "do it right" and do the epoxy potting and re-drilling dance while you're at it. Since bulkheads are so important and water flows downhill, start at the highest points, like everything on the housetop, then the ports, and then all deck fittings.

This work is tedious, but not technical. Any patient amateur can do it in one off season or as we cheerfully ID it -- as a winter project.
Thus the literary phrase "the winter of my discontent"..... :)

As for 'micro cracks' I really really doubt that. The laminate layers are water proof under the gel coat.

Good luck!
:)

garryh

Member III
"I am sure any ideas would be appreciated by both of us if the rest of the crew has any insights"
I feel your pain! my first boat was a C&C 25, had a leak into the vee berth that constantly wetted the cushions and no matter what I did, I could not find it or stop it. Knowing what I know now, it was likely the hull to deck joint.
But after reading your post, my first thought was the same as Loren's... you have to stop the water from coming in, not allowing it in and redirecting it and at the same time trapping it in your deck core, bulkheads etc. And if your chainplates are leaking, get to that immediately before you lose your bulkheads... and ensure there is solid core around where the chainplates protrude from the deck (backfilled with epoxy). This is critical, and you may find a lot of rotted core in that area.
I am having trouble visualizing your liner arrangement, but if the leak is that high, it might possibly be the mast step. And if that is leaking, you will likely have rot in that area to be addressed. All a bit ugly, but part of the process. Good luck!

garryh

Member III
also check the screws that fix the tracks holding the overhead sliding hatch in place... they are rarely sealed and water coming in there can get anywhere

Sailingfun

Member III
I finished fixing this problem month ago. My E27 does not mirror the external with the internal, outside ones have the screw embedded on the plastic.
Finally, I did new holes and run just external ones without installing internal ones.
I use a combination of butyl and Sica 95 in order to avoid leaking for years.

wynkoop

Member III
Gents-

My cabin top indeed had water ingress and damaged core. I have mostly taken care of that. I am pretty sure the problem came from the wire penetrations in the center of the mast step. For years no matter how I tried when the mast was off I could not get a good enough seal to keep from getting water down into the cabin along the wires. Last time the mast was off I got much more silicone into the void than ever before and the leak around the wires stopped.

If I understand correctly the suggestion is the re-bedding I did last summer with 5200 should be redone with the injection of a penetrating epoxy? I can see doing that around the chainplates perhaps, but all the deck hardware? Won't that make it impossible to remove if one needs to replace something?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gents-

My cabin top indeed had water ingress and damaged core. I have mostly taken care of that. I am pretty sure the problem came from the wire penetrations in the center of the mast step. For years no matter how I tried when the mast was off I could not get a good enough seal to keep from getting water down into the cabin along the wires. Last time the mast was off I got much more silicone into the void than ever before and the leak around the wires stopped.

If I understand correctly the suggestion is the re-bedding I did last summer with 5200 should be redone with the injection of a penetrating epoxy? I can see doing that around the chainplates perhaps, but all the deck hardware? Won't that make it impossible to remove if one needs to replace something?
Actually, removing the deck hardware in the future is not affected by the epoxy. Note that the fasteners are not themselves glued in. Once you replace the old coring in the hole and redrill, you will have the same hole size as before. What you are doing is preventing any future leaks around the screw or bolt from saturating the coring.
Here is a pretty good explanation of the process: https://pbase.com/mainecruising/sealing_the_deck&page=2
Note that on most finished-out boats it is really difficult and impractical to drill up from underneath to widen out the hole for filling. For our boat we drilled down from the top, stopping at the interior layer of frp.

RC Collins (Maine sail) shows a syringe being used to pul out excess air bubbles, and the shop I am in uses a temporary "chimney" over each hole to hold a little extra resin -- accomplishing the same goal.