• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar deck hatches

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I have decided to replace the forward Lewmar deck hatch on my 1987 E-34. It looks like a #60 hatch, 20 x 20", and the question comes up as to the low profile or the medium profile series.

Does anyone have any comments as to which series to buy? The difference at Defender is less than $40.

Does anyone have anything to say about the replacement process? I notice that Lewmar says to use through bolts for the hinge area. This doesn't seem reasonable on my boat because of the thickness.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When we replaced the size 70 Lewmar fore hatch on our boat, we did use thru bolts for the hinges, as specified. That part of the frame takes the torque of the friction of each hinge that holds the hatch up.
I put the holes for those bolts all the way thru, and inside I recessed SS barrel nuts flush with headliner. If you like I will try to post some pics of the finished install.
It looks purdy good, if I do say so.

Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Good idea!

Loren - Barrel nuts are a good idea. Thanx. I have wood battens covering the vinyl overhead which will hide the heads. The bolts will have to be at least 3" long.

Is that how the old hatches are fastened?

Any comments on "low" Vs. "medium" profile? Anyone? The both are rated for CE 2 applications, decks where people walk, so why do the make two? Just for Hunter and Catalina?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hatch install

Tom,
A little history... when acquired, our boat had a warped foreward hatch frame. (Appeared that someone had opened it all the way and then sat on it.)
:rolleyes:
Anyhoo... it would not seal due to this, and the lens was no longer sealed in the frame, either.
I straightened the frame with big clamps and long oak 2X2's, but I could see that with the lens being scratched, the hinges having long ago lost their "roll stop" abilites, and the lens having detatched from the frame on two sides, that replacement was in order. Then I found that Lewmar USA was selling their dealer return hatches out of their headquarters in Connecticut.
With a phone call, VISA #, and some whining about my project boat, I got a new hatch with a near-invisible scratch on the spigot... for about $300. This beat the then-retail-discount price new of $550. :)

Taking the old hatch out required removing all the fastenings from the top flange, and went well. Getting that flange loose was quite (!) another matter. Ultimately it took about 8 putty knives driven under the edge and a lot of warmth from a heat gun to soften what turned out to be, judging from color differences, at least two different sealants... :mad:

With the hatch out, I could access and remove several hundred little staples that had invisibly held up the fabric headliner, behind the sides of the spigot, all around. Close fit, BTW.
Under that I found rather low-density wood, maybe pine, about 1 X 1, set against the edge of the hatch opening, in polyester mush.
I chisled out this weak wood and replaced it with some wider oak pieces set in thickened epoxy. The whole flange was a lot stronger when I got 'er done.

Set new hatch in place, and noted that most of the holes were a smidge off of the orignial ones. Epoxied in the old holes and re-drilled during the dry fit phase.

About those original thru-bolts for the hinges (remember, that's the door we came in...) the factory had set them into ss nuts, sucked into the surface of the original inner wood pieces across the back, and then stapled the headliner over it. Tidy.

Problem: you could only do a "factory" install of the headliner for our boat if all those little staples were driven in before the hatch was dropped into place and they would be covered by the cast-in spigot.

New plan: since the headliner is tight against the new hidden oak reinforecments, I dropped the hatch into place and thru-drilled for the long hinge bolts. Then the barrel nuts (finally, we are back to discussing them...) were tapped into place from the inside and the carefully-shortened SS bolts were dropped down into place for a trial tensioning. Those nuts are almost totally flush against the vinyl surface.

After a last bolting and test-tightening of all screws, blue 3M tape put all around the flange to catch sealant overflow, and the hatch removed one last time.

We laid in plenty of good caulk, squished down the new hatch and torqued home all screws and those bolts. All holes were daubed with caulk as well.
Messy, but all is secure for 12 years since. :)

Not particularly "fun" work, but very satisfying.

Good luck on your project,
Loren
'88 Olson 34

Attachments

• 150px-Flush_Mount_Barrel_Nut.jpg
    150px-Flush_Mount_Barrel_Nut.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 834
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pics of the barrell nuts

I had the camera with me the other day for some project pics at the boat and remembered the Hatch thread.
Barrell nuts, from the inside looking up. Note that they sucked right into the surface of the vinyl headliner. This is for the size 70 Lewmar fore hatch, spigot style.

Loren

Attachments

• BarrellBoltsForwardHatch2.JPG
    BarrellBoltsForwardHatch2.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 609

George Foose

Ericson in Thailand
E38 Lewmar front hatch

Thanks Loren,

I saved your picture and read the thread. I note that your boat does not have the vinyl trim ring that is around the interior of the hatch. As the problem hing is the corner only I'll probably start with drilling thru including the trim and use two bolts and cap nuts snugged up into a narrow stainless backing plate. Very helpfull Thanks. For the crazed acrylic, next time I'll on the hard I'll send the whole hatch cover back to US for repair by UPS.