• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking at an E25+ tomorrow...

Dick Seacup

I am completely new to sailing. I've been on sailboats, but never sailed (if that makes sense). I'm signed up for adult lessons (2/wk, 4 wks) starting in June. In the mean time, I've continued my annual ritual (now in our 20+ year) of looking at sailboats for sale. This year, I've managed to find an E25+ locally that looks to be in good shape (but I've only seen pics) and a highly motivated seller who is wanting to move up.

The owner has told me there are scrapes and a couple of surface gouges on the starboard side, some gelcoat chips in the deck, needs a shift cable for the OB, but that's pretty much all he lists as 'negative.' Being as I don't know squat about buying a sailboat beyond the horror stories I've read for the last six years (yes, I'm getting closer to actually doing it every year!)...delamination, waterlogged decks, stressed out chain stays below decks, no backing plates, water incursion around all the hardware you can see and even some you can't, sheets and ropes that are ready to give up the ghost at any moment, blown out sails, motors that are fire hazards, the usual litany of "everything is suspect, so you might as well not buy used"...are there any items specific to an '81 E25+ that I should pay attention to?

Many thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gettin' Started

While there are many helpful owners of boats in your size and age range that will check in with suggestions, one general suggestion is to get a good survey.
:cool:
Some folks will tell you that if a boat is really really cheap you do not need one, but your insurance company will probably tell you that you do indeed.
And then, it takes the same amount of your enthusiasm, time, and money to maintain/upgrade a boat, no matter what the initial price, after about 40 years.
(OK, that may be an overstatement, because there are some owners that really do ALL of their preventative maintenance tasks as they go along. A friend of mine used to sail an "old" E-27 that was 100% turn key the day he sold it.)

Also, far from a survey being a sort of "red light - green light" game for the buyer, it is far better viewed as a road map to stewardship of that boat. Good surveyors are good teachers. I know that I learned a LOT from the guy that surveyed our boat.

At 25 (approx) feet, that model was the second smallest yacht from a company that built thousands of high-end larger yachts. As such, it shares design detailing, sailing performance, and luxurious wood interior furnishings reflecting the company's niche in the industry.
It is not uncommon for owners to keep a quality yacht like that, even if it is smaller and less pretentious than some others out there, for a decade.

Lastly, there are likely other E-owners in your geographic area that will be logging here and will have surveyor references.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Dick Seacup

Thanks for the reply, Loren. I've googled surveyors in the area (Saginaw Bay, Michigan) and the nearest are down in metro-Detroit or over on the other side of the State from what I can see. I would imagine a survey is something for the end-of-the-search, an "OK, I think I want this one" sort of deal. I didn't know that insurance companies required them, though. That is interesting.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've googled surveyors in the area (Saginaw Bay, Michigan) and the nearest are down in metro-Detroit or over on the other side of the State from what I can see. I would imagine a survey is something for the end-of-the-search, an "OK, I think I want this one" sort of deal. I didn't know that insurance companies required them, though. That is interesting.

Yup. You're right about the "when" of the survey. This normally happens as the next step after you write up the purchase agreement, earnest money is paid into escrow, and you have taken the test sail (if reasonable/possible).

I guess that I should back track slightly and amend my ins. comment -- I am told that some insurance companies that mainly write home owner policies and then just add a boat (or other RV) onto it do not demand a survey.
ne thing to be alert to, no matter who writes the insurance, is that it include pollution abatement and wreck removal. Either situation is unpleasant to think about, but the costs can hit $10k to $50k plus in the wink of an eye.

Any "Marine Policy" will have the parts I referenced above, and around here all the marinas and yacht club moorages demand that coverage. (No fault of the sailors, but a series of huge fires on power boats around the NW in the last five years has put insurance -- and proper boat shore power wiring stuff -- on everyones' front burner.)
:rolleyes:

Dick Seacup

Yup. You're right about the "when" of the survey. This normally happens as the next step after you write up the purchase agreement, earnest money is paid into escrow, and you have taken the test sail (if reasonable/possible).

This boat is on the hard (for several years) and the seller doesn't seem interested in putting her in the water (he bought a 30' which is in, but at a different marina). This concerns me, but I'm not sure how much it should concern me. Prudence would seem to indicate "a lot".

one thing to be alert to, no matter who writes the insurance, is that it include pollution abatement and wreck removal. Either situation is unpleasant to think about, but the costs can hit $10k to $50k plus in the wink of an eye.
Thanks for the tip! I've pulled quotes from a couple of on-line insurers, just to get an idea of costs. Seems to be pretty consistent. I'll have to check my insurance guy and see what he says.

Spent an hour and a half at the boat, with the (private) seller, yesterday. For an '81 it seems to be in very good condition. The hull/keel don't show any spider cracks, no crack or line where the keel bolts to the hull (several of the other boats being sold by the marina brokerage did have those evident). The rudder had taken on water, but he had pulled it, drilled holes in the bottom to drain it, then sanded, filled and West epoxied the whole thing. My 7yo son had gone with me and we helped the seller re-mount the rudder, which was sort of fun.

On the topsides, the teak, what there is (doesn't seem like there's much) needs to be sanded/scraped and refinished. The portholes have all been pulled and re-bed recently. Hardware looked reasonably clean and functional, with no soft spots around any of the chainplates, cleats, winches or lifeline stanchions. Below decks, the cabin was clean if a little dusty/musty. The cushions all have original fabric but it's in decent shape (no rips or tears that I could see). No evidence of water incursion anywhere, but I didn't pull the headliner, just looked at the inside of the hull where the backing plates and stuff are mounted and didn't see any water stains or whatnot.

This boat doesn't have an inboard, and the bilge had a little water in it (to be fair, we had a rain storm yesterday morning, dumping about .5" of water over a couple of hours) but not very deep (I'd say < 1", probably not more than 1/2", and only in the aft inspection opening over the keel). The cockpit had water in it, but the drain at the back was plugged with a couple dead beetles and old leaves; once that was cleaned out it drained quickly. The lifelines have netting from the toerail up, from just in front of the cockpit all the way to the bow; I thought that was nifty considering we have a couple of young boys.

The mast isn't stepped, so I got to look at the standing rigging (looks like all stainless twisted wire; the turnbuckles and clevis ends looked to be in good shape). The port spreader cover was unattached although in place (needs the nut/bolt removed, slid down and bolted again). The running rigging looks serviceable, but not new. The sails were at the sellers house, so I didn't get a chance to look at those. He said the genoas (170, 150 and a storm jib, IIRC) are in good shape, but the main will probably need replacing in a year or two (I'm guessing that means, "you could get by with it this year, but it really should be replaced"). Boom looked fine. The masthead thing for apparent wind is missing one of it's cups, but the seller has a replacement.

Now the bad...there are a couple of gouges into the gelcoat on the starboard side. Looks like dock rash. It's not into the mat, though. Topsides, on the raised rib over the cabin that runs down the starboard side (there is a teak handhold piece mounted there), there are maybe five or six chips out of the gelcoat that go to the mat. I'm guessing the starboard side ones are just fill with gelcoat repair and sand/wax type of repair. I'm not sure about the larger ones on the deck. Maybe those need filler/epoxy and then gelcoat repair? I'll have to look in to that.

All things considered, I was impressed by the boat. The seller seemed disappointed I didn't whip out my checkbook, but I'm not about to rush in to this and want to look at a couple of options. I will say, though, that compared to the Catalina 27 and O'Day 28 we looked at afterwards (exterior only), the Ericson appears to be in much better condition.