Major Problems at Craigslist

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Quite a few of us seem to use Craigslist for selling misc. stuff and we refer to it often on this site for boat ads. I have been trying post up a (non boat) ad for two days and am giving up.

Their new "phone verification" process simply does not work, and their tech support does not return messages.
From some research on-line, it appears that this is happening all over the country.

It's a shame. I used to use them for selling (or in some cases darned near giving away...) all that brick-a-brack that was cluttering up our garage over the last couple years.

Following up on some on-line comments, I wandered into an eBay free ad site (formerly Kajiji ?) and easily placed my ad there.
Not that it matters to most of you, but we are getting ready to buy a new pickup and thought we would sell our Mazda B4000, rather than have to give it over to the dealer for the lesser wholesale trade-in $$.

Anyone else here had any luck recently, good or bad, with Craigslist?

As the lady used to say on SNL, "It's always something!"

:rolleyes:

Loren

ps: check out the layout and high-rez picture options on the "new" ad site.
http://portlandor.ebayclassifieds.c...tland/mazda-b4000-se-v6-cab-plus/?ad=14618009

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Loren, that was no lady, that was Rosanna Rosannadanna.:)

I do like CL and have used it for buying and selling a few times. I tend to use ebay more as I can more easily setup Paypal payments.

bayhoss

Member III
Funny!

I haven't heard of Rosanna from SNL in many a year. Pretty funny. I find CL to be a pain and use ebay almost always. PayPal is safer and trouble free.

Best always,
Frank

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
No Problem Mon

I have had nothing but good experience with Craigslist and usually use it over eBay for bigger items I don't want to ship. BTW, if you troll Craigslist often, try Searchtempest.com . It will search multiple Cities on Craigslist with one search. I now only use CL to list items and Searchtempest to search.

Good Luck

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The problem is.....

I have had nothing but good experience with Craigslist and usually use it over eBay for bigger items I don't want to ship. BTW, if you troll Craigslist often, try Searchtempest.com . It will search multiple Cities on Craigslist with one search. I now only use CL to list items and Searchtempest to search.

Good Luck

Please understand, I am not unhappy with CL in the past, when it allowed an ad to be posted. I have about 20+ ads listed in their archive, when I log in.
The problem yesterday is that I cannot get through their new phone # authentication procedure, and it will not accept either of our numbers --- land line same for 35 years or cell line same for 5 years.

Their listed email tech support contact does not respond in any way whatsoever.

It's as though their software hit a wall this week and just broke.

Loren

CaptDan

Member III
Hi Loren,

I've used CG a lot too. I understand your pain about the phone verification. I'm assuming you have a CG account, is that right? If so, you know that phone verification is usually a one time deal. After your account is set up, posting ads is just a matter of writing them, succesfully completing the 'anti-spambot word game,' and bingo, Bob's your uncle - or cousin as the case may be. You can also opt for a text message be sent to your mobile phone too.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted out. Hope you and Kathy are doing well.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some closure to the CL complaint

Well, I posted up a little ad on CL this am. Their "phone verification" scheme is gone, and now I get a message with a reply address to click on. That leads to a request to use the usual capcha (sp?) box with the hazy letters below it.
Whatever happened, they seem to have restored a way to post ads.

Loren

windjunkee

Member III
I'm buying an A-4 from a Craigs list ad for $1000.00. It runs.
They guy offered to deliver it to the boat too for that price. I passed on that. Instead, I'm having the local A-4 expert pick the engine up, go over it, clean it up, give it a valve job and whatever else it needs and then install it in VOR.
Craigslist is good, but I wouldn't put blind trust in whatever is represented by seller.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32
Redondo Beach, CA