• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast boots

ChrisG

Member I
What do you guys use for mast boots? I'm experimenting but am so far not happy with anything I've tried.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

This system keeps all the water out from around the outside of the spar.

Pete the Cat

Member III
I use the neoprene mast boot that most of us can get at the chandlery. I assume you have tried this. I also cover it with a canvas cover because, despite the advertisements, it does not do will in UV. I have one on both my boats and have had no problems if installed correctly. What problem have you had? I hate Spartite.

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
I have the same question, i.e. I need a new mast boot for my 38-200. So, thought I would just add to this thread. What has worked well for others? Since the mast and the above-deck fitting that it goes through are different shapes I'm a bit stumped as to the best way to handle that. I did search for neoprene mast boots but did't get any hits.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One caveat: remember that UV will degrade your new vinyl mast boot. Be sure to cover it with a close fitted sunbrella cover. This is pictured in the link to my blog.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This is what I ended up using:

This project almost broke me. Going back to the boat to find a puddle at the bottom of the mast was demoralizing, especially after pouring the SparTite. I initially thought my final solution was leaking, but I found out later it was the hatch. After replacing the hatch, I no longer have any water coming in during storms or washing the boat.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just have a Sunbrella sun cover, since the waterproof boot underneath is the stretchy plastic tape sold for that purpose. I probably made a pattern first in scrap cloth, to get the Velcro closure right. To make a watertight boot, just use a big hose clamp on top and fold the cloth back over it.

E38 mast boot cover.JPG